Old West Lawmen List – H

Lawman Summaries (name begins with) A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Tom Horn

Tom Horn

Tom Horn, aka: James Hicks (1860-1903) – Horn joined the Pinkerton Agency in 1890 and was extremely effective, tracking down dozens of outlaws. Later, he was working as a cattle detective in Wyoming and became embroiled in the Johnson County War. It was at this time that he began to offer out his services as a hired gunslinger.  When hired in 1903 to kill a sheepherder in Wyoming, he killed the man’s 14-year old son instead.  This time, Horn didn’t get away with it — he was arrested and hanged on November 20, 1903.

Joe Horner – See Frank M. Canton

James D. Houck (1847-1921) – Born in Ohio, Houck fought in the Civil War with a Wisconsin regiment. Afterwards, he made his way to Wyoming, and later to Arizona in about 1870. In 1874, he began to carry the mail as an express rider between Fort Whipple, Arizona and Fort Wingate, New Mexico. That same year, he established a trading post between Fort Wingate and Holbrook, Arizona, trading with the Navaho tribe in 1885. Called Houck’s Tank, a settlement soon grew around the post, which was named Houck. He represented Apache County for a term in the 13th Territorial Legislature that same year. Later he was working as a Deputy under Commodore Perry Owens in Holbrook, Arizona and was involved in the Pleasant Valley War that erupted in 1887 north of Globe, Arizona. In September, 1887, he was involved in the killing of John Graham and Charles Blevins at the Perkins Store in Pleasant Valley. He was also involved in the August 11, 1888 lynching of Jim Stott, Kim Scott and Billy Wilson. In 1900 he bought Cave Creek Station, located about 35 miles north of Phoenix, Arizona, and developed it as a shearing camp for sheepmen. He also became a Maricopa County deputy sheriff and operated a stage and mail service. Although he prospered for some years, hard times came with reduced sheep grazing, drought, a dwindling interest in the Cave Creek property, a divorce. He eventually killed himself on March 21, 1921, and was buried in Phoenix.

Neil Howie (1834-1874) – Born in Scotland, Howie immigrated to the United States as a boy and was raised in Wisconsin. When he grew up, he made his way westward, landing in Colorado for a time, before making his way to southwestern Montana in 1863. Allegedly, Bannack Sheriff Henry Plummer attempted to recruit him into his outlaw band, the Innocents, but Howie refused. Working as a freighter, Howie personally captured Dutch John Wagner and delivered him to the Montana Vigilantes, with whom he had become involved. In the Spring of 1864, he was appointed sheriff of Madison County, serving through the flour riots of April, 1865. Later he was appointed as the first U.S. Deputy Marshal for the state of Montana In July, 1867, he was commissioned as a colonel for the 1st Montana Volunteer Cavalry and led his men in building fort. T.F. Meagher and Fort Howie. In late August, his troops fought with Crow Indians who had been attacking area settlers. Later, he went to Wyoming and Colorado, before making his way to Utah in 1872. He then became manager with the Remington Company’s Quartz Works which was located on an island of Trinidad, off the of Venezuela. He contacted malaria in March, 1874 and died in Trinidad.

Thomas J. Hueston (18??-1893) – Appointed as a U.S. Deputy Marshal in Oklahoma Territory, Hueston was with other deputy marshals when they tracked down Doolin-Dalton Gang member Oliver Yantis, who had participated in Caney, Oklahoma train robbery and the Spearville, Kansas bank robbery in the fall of 1892. Trailing the fugitive to his sister’s ranch near Orlando, Oklahom , a gunfight erupted when the fugitive resisted arrest and Hueston shot and killed the outlaw. Later; however, when Hueston was still on the the trail of the Doolin-Dalton Gang, he would not be so lucky. On September 1, 1893, Hueston was with a posse who were trying to capture several members hiding out in Ingalls, Oklahoma when the famous Ingalls Gunbattle erupted. In the melee, Hueston was shot by “Arkansas Tom” Jones. Hueston died the following day. Two other fellow officers, Deputy Lafeyette Shadley and Dick Speed were also killed in the shoot-out.

John R. Hughes

John R. Hughes

John Reynolds Hughes (1855-1946) – Hughes was born on February 11, 1855, in Henry County, near Cambridge, Illinois. His family would later move to Kansas. At the age of 14, he left home to work on a neighboring cattle ranch before heading south to Indian Territory , where he lived among the Choctaw and Osage Indians for four years. By 1874, he was living in the Comanche Nation in the Fort Sill area and became friends with Quanah Parker. After six years in Indian Territory and a brief stint as a trail driver on the Chisholm Trail, Hughes bought a farm near Liberty Hill, Texas, and entered the horse business. In 1886, he set out to find a band of horse thieves who had been operating in the area and tracked them to New Mexico, returning both the thieves and the horses to Texas. This gained him the attention of the Texas Rangers, which he joined in 1887. Hughes was a lawman before joining the Texas Rangers, Company D, in 1887. He was made captain in 1893 and during his career arrested and killed numerous outlaws. He committed suicide in 1946, at the age of eighty-nine.

James B. Hume (1827-1904) – Hailing from Delaware County, New York, Hume left his home in 1850 to seek his fortune in the California goldfields. He began his career as a lawman in Hangtown (now Placerville,) California in 1862 when he was appointed City Marshal. In 1864 he was appointed Under sheriff of El Dorado County, a position he held for five years. In 1869 he was elected Sheriff after having won the election in 1868. In 1873 James B. Hume became the Chief Special Officer of Wells, Fargo & Company and to protect the gold the stages carried, he had it casted in balls so heavy the robbers couldn’t move them. His reputation as a relentless pursuer of lawbreakers was soon bolstered by his arrest of the famous stage robber, Black Bart.

Alexander Cameron Hunt (1825-1894)Born in New York on December 25, 1825, Hunt made his way west when he grew up, landing in Denver in 1859. In June, 1862, he was appointed as a U.S. Marshal for the Colorado District. Hunt was later appointed governor of Colorado by President Johnson in May, 1867, a position he held until June, 1869. He then began to work in the railroad industry and became interested in coal mines near Laredo, Texas. However, he continued to live in Denver. He died in Chicago, Illinois on May 24, 1894.

J. Frank Hunt – (18??-1880) – Caldwell, Kansas deputy marshal, he was shot to death by an unidentified man on October 11, 1880.


Tom Irvan – Sheriff of Custer County, Montana, who gained a reputation as one of the state’s most famous manhunters.


Also See:

Lawmen of the Old West (main page)

Lawman Summaries (name begins with) A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *