Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA  

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Kansas - Legends of Ahs IconKANSAS LEGENDS

Leavenworth -  First City in Kansas

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous  1 2   Next  >>

The City of Leavenworth was founded in

 1854 largely to support Fort Leavenworth,

but quickly became the springboard to the west.  The settlement was the first official

 town in Kansas.

 

 

 

Leavenworth, Kansas in 1860.

Leavenworth in 1860.

 

 

 

Long before Kansas was acquired by the United States in the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, it belonged to eight Indian tribes, including the Kanza, Osage, Wichita and the Pawnee. During the 18th century the French and Spanish competed for the area, but the French succeeded due to better relations with the Native Americans. Founding Fort Cavagnial in 1744 in the approximate vicinity of where Fort Leavenworth stands today, the French evacuated 20 years later when France ceded the Louisiana territories west of the Mississippi River to Spain. Then the territory reverted back to France before it was acquired by the United States.

 

Lewis and Clark explored the area in their famous expedition between 1803 and 1806 and the area became known as the "Great American Desert.” Considered unsuitable for settlement because of its barrenness, the region was designated as a permanent home for the Native Americans. From 1825 to 1840, nearly 30 tribes gave up land in the northern and eastern part of the nation, moving to the Kansas territory. Some of these tribes included the Shawnee, Delaware Chippewa, Iowa, Wyandot, and Kickapoo.

 

Meanwhile, in 1827, white men officially came to the area when Colonel Henry Leavenworth and the third Infantry Regiment from St. Louis, Missouri established Fort Leavenworth. The post was the first settlement in Kansas territory and is the oldest active Army post west of the Mississippi River. Sitting on the bluffs overlooking the western bank of the Missouri River, the fort initially served as a quartermaster depot, arsenal, and troop post, and was dedicated to protecting the fur trade and safeguarding commerce on the Santa Fe Trail

 

Fort Leavenworth quickly became a primary destination for thousands of soldiers, surveyors, and settlers who were passing through on their way to the vast West. During these early years, soldiers from the fort protected wagon trains hauling supplies over the Santa Fe Oregon and other trails to other forts and military camps of the West, some as far as west as the Pacific Ocean. In 1839, Colonel S. W. Kearney marched against the Cherokee with ten companies of dragoons from the fort, the largest U.S. mounted force ever assembled.

 

In the 1840's, Kansas lay in the path of the settlers rushing to Oregon and California. Though thousands of wagons passed through; other pioneers, seeing the agricultural promise of Kansas, settled in the area instead.

 

The City of Leavenworth was founded in 1854 largely to support Fort Leavenworth, but quickly became the springboard to the west. The settlement was the first official incorporated town in Kansas. With the rush of white settlers, many treaties with the Indians were made and broken, and the Indians along the westward trails began to retaliate with uprisings and raids that continued until 1878. Though the city of Leavenworth and the fort were never attacked by Indians, it was the military men of Fort Leavenworth that first attempted to protect the pioneers on these early trails. Later, dozens of forts would be erected west of Fort Leavenworth.

 

The city of Leavenworth had its origin at a meeting in Weston, Missouri, just a few days after the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska bill. On June 12, 1854, the town site was marked off by George W. Gist, John C. Gist and Samuel Farnandis on the Delaware Trust Lands immediately south of the Fort Leavenworth military reservation. Already there, were a number of squatters who agreed to relinquish their rights to the town association. The townsite, situated on 320 acres, was platted into lots and divided into 175 shares, which were given over to the 32 members of the town association. The first sale of town lots was held October 9, 1854.

 

Delaware Indians

With no regard for the Delaware Indians, the Leavenworth Townsite Company platted and divided land that was reserved for the Indians. The Federal government initially ordered them off, but, the Townsite Company agreed to a price to be paid to the Delaware tribe and they  were allowed to stay.

 

Obviously, the Delaware Indians were unhappy with this encroachment upon their lands, and stirred up by emissaries from the rival city of Atchison, sent a petition to the government asking that something be done.

 

As a result, the government issued an order to the troops at Fort Leavenworth  to drive the settlers off. However, the Leavenworth Town Association quickly got the order delayed and upon assuring the Delaware chiefs that they would pay the price fixed by the government, they were allowed to stay.

 

In the meantime, several businesses had already been established including the Herald newspaper in the first building erected in Leavenworth, a small warehouse and general store operated by Lewis N. Rees, and the Leavenworth Hotel. The first dwelling was built by a man named on Jerre Clark on Walnut Street. In October, the Murphy & Scruggs saw-mill was established at the mouth of Three Mile Creek, where much of the lumber for future building was cut. On October 8th, W. C. Capels, an elder of the Methodist Church, held the first religious service in the town under the shade of a large tree.

 

By January 1, 1855, there were 200 inhabitants in the fledgling city. When a post office opened in the general store on March 6th, Lewis Rees became the first postmaster in the town that was officially called Leavenworth City. More businesses also began including a brickyard and another sawmill. Within six months, fully 100 buildings of various kinds had been erected, and by May, 1855, Leavenworth City was called home to more than 400 people. The town was incorporated in the summer of 1855 and an election held on September 3rd for councilmen and officers.

 

Leavenworth County was established in July, 1855 and an election was scheduled to be held in October to determine the county seat. The primary contenders were Leavenworth City, Kickapoo City, and Delaware City.

 

Like other Kansas counties, the struggle for the county seat was almost vicious and was burdened with fraudulent voters. Two steam ferries, crowded with voters from Weston, Platte City, and other < Missouri towns under the pro-slavery thumb, plied between the eastern shore and Kickapoo City and Delaware City. In the end, Kickapoo City won, with Delaware City coming in second, and Leavenworth City third. However, Delaware City claimed that some of her citizens had been barred from the privilege of voting and her polls were thrown open a second day, this time resulting in a win for Delaware City. Afterwards, a legal contest ensued between the three towns but, Delaware City was declared the county seat in January, 1856.

 

The early commercial development of was rapid, as it became the starting point of the overland transportation company owned and operated by Majors, Russell & Company in the Fall of 1855. Eventually employing more than 500 wagons,  7,500 head of cattle, and nearly 1,800 men, it was a boon for Leavenworth City.

 

Their arrival brought in numerous new stores and a businesses that otherwise, would not have come for years. Salt Lake and California traders soon made their starting point Leavenworth, rather than points in Missouri. Leavenworth was also made the starting-point for the Kansas Stage Company. A small building near the levee was rented by a Lutheran minister for religious purposes. The first school in the community was taught by H. D. McCarty. By October, 1855, just one year from the first sale of lots, there were about 1,200 people living in Leavenworth City.

 

The great number of employees of these freight companies and the transient population demanded more hotel accommodations. This led to the erection of the Planters' Hotel, completed in the fall of 1856, which became one of the most famous hotels on the Missouri River. However, for a brief period during 1856, Leavenworth City, like many other Kansas towns of the time, found itself embroiled in the vicious Kansas-Missouri Border War, which hindered its growth for a time.

 

Pro-slavery advocates flood the voting polls in Kickapoo City, Kansas

Like numerous other Kansas counties, the county seat contest was vicious. Fraud was rampant as pro-slavery men from Missouri flooded the polls. In the end, the county seat would go to Leavenworth. The two other towns that vied for the seat were Delaware City, which had ceased to exist within just a few years, and Kickapoo City, which is no longer a town, but a few buildings still remain.

Into this tumultuous time in Leavenworth, arrived a brave young African-American man named William Dominick Matthews. A black freeman from Maryland, Matthews established the Waverly House, a boarding establishment that was located on Main Street between Shawnee and Seneca Streets. His boarding house would soon become a “station” on the Underground Railroad. This was a very brave undertaking, as Matthews arrived at the very worst time of Leavenworth's border troubles. In spite of the turmoil, or, perhaps because of it, he was extremely active in harboring slave fugitives from Missouri and Arkansas, with the assistance of area abolitionists, including Daniel R. Anthony, a local newspaper editor and brother of Susan B. Anthony. Matthews would go on to serve as one of the few colored captains in the Civil War.

 

In the meantime, a 30’x20’ two room county building was completed in Delaware City in February, 1857 and plans were made to build a new jail. However, the Kansas Legislature ordered that another county seat vote be conducted in October, 1857. This time, the election resulted in a win for Kickapoo City. However, Leavenworth City petitioned that the Kickapoo City returns be thrown out, on the grounds that voting was not confined to the county.  Joseph W. Hall, a commissioner from Kickapoo City and leader of the county seat war, had died during the preceding June, or it may have been that Leavenworth City would again have been slighted. This time, Leavenworth's claims were no longer overlooked, and it was finally decided that Leavenworth had received the majority of the legal votes and was entitled to the county seat. Leavenworth remains the county seat today.

 

Though land was donated for a courthouse square and bonds were voted in to build one, it would be years before a courthouse would be built. Instead, the courts and county offices were located for many years in the City Hall, over the Market House, and in a building that was later occupied by the Fire Department.

 

The Planters Hotel was completed in December,  1856, stood at the corner of Main and Shawnee Streets.

 

By the Fall of 1857, the town had grown to some 5,000 people and would double over the next year. In July, 1858, the first school board of the city was organized, a house rented to use for the school and a teacher was hired. That same month, however, a blow was dealt to Leavenworth in the form of a disastrous fire. Starting in the theater on the corner of Third and Delaware Streets, it swept away a large part of the business district, and for a time it looked as though the whole city would be wiped out. However, due to the heroic efforts of the citizens and a lucky rainstorm, the fire was finally quelled, but, not before over $200,000 worth of property was destroyed.

 

The year 1858 also brought thousands of westward bound emigrants through the city when gold was discovered in Colorado. More importantly, the year also saw the arrival of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth to the city.

 

Before making their way to Leavenworth, the Sisters, who had lived in Nashville, Tennessee, found themselves burdened with a debt not of their making. After selling nearly everything they had to pay their creditors, they established a new base of operations in Leavenworth that would eventually grow into a hospital and a college that still exist today. Within a week of their arrival, they were teaching in a boys’ school. In November, they opened a day and boarding school for girls on the north side of Kickapoo Street. The next year, the girl's school was moved to downtown Leavenworth and called St. Mary's Institute. They also tended to the sick, going into homes and wagon trains and traveling to towns during epidemics. They educated black children who had fled to the free state of Kansas, took in orphans, visited prisoners and cared for the poor.

 

Abraham LincolnIn 1859 Leavenworth City received telegraph lines to communicate with the East, its streets were graded, sidewalks laid, and gas works constructed. That same year, on December 3, 1859, the day after Kansas abolitionist John Brown was hanged, Abraham Lincoln made a speech in Leavenworth. Speaking on the steps of the Planters Hotel, he urged voters not to use violence but, to use their vote at the ballot box to keep slavery from expanding into the territory. His speech is said to be similar to what is considered to be his first presidential campaign speech, delivered months later at Coopers Union in New York. From that day forward the Planters Hotel became a Leavenworth landmark and continued to serve the traveling public for decades. However, by the 1950's, it was declared unsafe for occupancy and eventually torn down.

 

With the growth of the city it soon became a cross-roads point. There were two great military roads from Fort Leavenworth, one which joined the emigrant road at Whitfield City, and a second known as the Oregon and California Road. Roads were laid out to connect Leavenworth with towns up and down the Missouri River, and to Lawrence, Lecompton and Topeka; hack and mail lines were established, making weekly and tri-weekly trips to towns of importance in the territory; the telegraph line was extended from St. Louis Missouri to Leavenworth in June, 1859, and the following spring the Pike's Peak Express Line began running from Leavenworth to Salt Lake, Utah. The first railroad to come near Leavenworth was the Atchison & St. Joseph, which was completed to Weston, Missouri in 1861, where it made connection with river transportation to Leavenworth. Two years later Leavenworth became a terminus of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, connecting with the main line at Lawrence. Over the years, numerous other railroads would pass through the city, including the Union Pacific; Missouri Pacific; Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe; Chicago & Rock Island; Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Leavenworth, Kansas & Western, and the Kansas City-Leavenworth electric line which connected the two cities.

 

In May, 1860, it was first proposed that the county establish a poor-house and before long a 200 acre poor-farm was established about four miles southwest of the city. It also included a pest-house and averaged about 30 occupants.


In 1861, the African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Reverend John Turner. The first meetings were held in an old basement room and a small building was soon erected. The church was actively involved in the Underground Railroad. Though a permanent church building wasn't constructed until 1865, it continues to stand in Leavenworth as a reminder of its service as an Underground Railroad station. The current church is located at 411 Kiowa Street.

 

By the time the Civil War erupted, pro-slavery sentiments had become a thing of the past and as the largest town in the State, it raised more troops and furnished a longer array of prominent leaders than any other city in the region. Its proximity to also caused many Unionists of Missouri and other exposed localities to flee to Leavenworth for safety. Many of these men enlisted in the ranks of the Union army and helped to swell Leavenworth's enrollment of Union soldiers.

The first Leavenworth company regularly mustered into the United States service was the Steuben Guards on May 27, 1861. Comprised entirely of German men, they joined the Union as Company I of the First Kansas Infantry and participated in the Battles of Wilson's Creek, Tuscumbia, Tallahatchie, Bayou Macon, Lake Providence, and others. Other Leavenworth military organizations also joined including the Kickapoo Guards, Captain Black's Guards, the Lyon Guards, the Fourth Ward Guards, the Third Ward Guards, Leavenworth Mercantile Guards, and others.

 

Some of the Leavenworth men who made names for themselves as Union leaders included Powell Clayton, who became a brevetted Brigadier-General in August, 1864, and later became a U.S. Senator for Arkansas; Daniel McCook, who was first commissioned as Captain of the Shield Guards, was later appointed Brigadier-General by the President of the United States, and was killed during the Civil War; Thomas Moonlight, who joined as a Captain of the Leavenworth Light Battery, became a brevetted Brigadier-General in February, 1865, and after the war, served as the Adjutant-General of the State of Kansas; John A. Halderman, who served as Governor Andrew Reeder's private secretary, during his short term as the first territorial governor of Kansas, became a Major-General during the war, and later served two terms as the Mayor of Leavenworth, a regent of the State University, a member of both Houses, and Consul to Siam (later Thailand.) These are but a few of the many men from Leavenworth that bravely served in the Civil War.

 

Unlike many cities during the Civil War, Leavenworth didn't suffer, in fact, she prospered with the constant activity at the military reservation. By the end of the war the city's population had increased to about 20,000 people.

 

 

Continued Next Page

<<  Previous  1 2   Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Kansas - The Sunflower State - From Ghost Towns to Old West Forts, Haunted Places and Route 66, to interesting people including explorers, outlaws, and Native Americans, to great places to visit with Scenic Views, Quirky Roadstops, and historic landmarks, you'll find lots to see and do when you visit the Sunflower State.

Kansas Historic Book Collection - 35 Historic Books on CD

Kansas Historic Book Collection

 - 35 Historic Books on CD

 Buy Product

Kansas Postcards

Kansas Postcards

Kansas Prints, Products & Commercial Downloads

Kansas Photo Prints, Products &

Downloads

Prints starting @ $2.99

Discoveries...America, Kansas

Discoveries America Kansas DVD

 

Buy Product

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America