The historic trade route of the Santa Fe Trail from Missouri through Kansas to Santa Fe, New Mexico had two primary branches — the Cimarron Route and the Mountain Route. During the trail’s heydays, both were well-traveled for different reasons.
When William Becknell and his companions first blazed the Santa Fe Trail in 1821, they followed the north side of the Arkansas River, which was the international boundary between the United States and Mexico. After passing through Kansas and into eastern Colorado, they crossed the Arkansas River near its confluence of the Purgatory River into Mexico. History has written that they then traveled over Raton Pass, before making their way to Santa Fe, New Mexico. This route would become known as the Mountain Route of the Santa Fe Trail. That portion of the journey has been called into question after the discovery of the diary of Pedro Ignacio Gallego in 1993. Mexican Captain Gallego and his 400 men met Becknell on his first journey to Santa Fe, and his writings, along with Becknell’s own journal describing the landscape, show more evidence that he and his men probably misidentified the Canadian River, and instead crossed another river or stream. Researchers now say evidence points to a location between the Arkansas River and Puertocito Piedra Lumbre in Kearny Gap, south of present-day Las Vegas, New Mexico. Later wagon trains would take the known Mountain Route.
However, on their return, the Becknell party took another route home to Missouri. This path went across eastern New Mexico into what would become Oklahoma, then on into Kansas where they crossed the Arkansas River back into the United States. This route would become known as the Cimarron Route or Cimarron Cutoff.
Becknell’s first trip was such a success that he, along with 22 men, made a second trip in 1822. Loading three prairie schooners with goods, they chose to once again travel the Cimarron Route, knowing that their wagons couldn’t cross the mountains.
Though there were various paths and trails at different times throughout the history of the Santa Fe Trail, the journey was essentially the same until travelers reached western Kansas, in the area of present-day Cimarron, where the trail divided into two alternative routes — the Mountain Branch, following the Arkansas River further west to the site of Bent’s Fort, Colorado, south through Raton Pass into New Mexico; and the Cimarron Cut-off which, made a more direct diagonal route southwest through Oklahoma. The two paths rejoined in present-day Watrous, New Mexico, continuing southward to Santa Fe.
The Cimarron Route, also known as the Cimarron Cutoff, and Cimarron Crossing, was the most favored route in the earliest days of the Santa Fe Trail, even though the path was known for its scarcity of water. This route was shorter by about 100 miles, shortened the traveling time by ten days, and was more suited to wagon travel.
The Cimarron River, which gives the route its name, flows through southwestern Kansas and northeastern Oklahoma Depending upon where the travelers left the Arkansas River, it was a journey of fifty or more miles to reach the Cimarron River. With poor grass and scant water, the sandy Cimarron River, which was often dry, defined the landscape as one of the riskiest sections of the entire Trail. This much dreaded, waterless area was often called the Cimarron Desert, Waterscape, and by the Mexicans, Jornada del Muerte, or Journey of Death.
The trail cut southwest across the valley of the Cimarron River near the town of Ulysses, Kansas before finding its first reliable water supply since leaving the Arkansas River. Lower Cimarron Spring, also known as Lower Springs and Wagon Bed Springs, is on the north bank of the Cimarron River, approximately 11 miles south and 1.5 miles west of Ulysses, about two miles west of the markers on U.S. Highway 25 south of the Cimarron River bridge. Travelers breathed a sigh of relief upon finding Lower Spring as it meant they had survived. However, that would not be the case for all travelers, as near here, the famous hunter, trapper, and explorer, Jedediah Strong Smith, would lose his life. In 1831, Smith’s well-equipped wagon train became lost in the maze of buffalo trails. Seeking water for the dying animals and suffering men, Smith finally found the Cimarron River but was killed by the Comanche Indians near Wagon Bed Springs. His body was never recovered.
The path then continued into Morton County, past Point of Rocks and through the Cimarron National Grasslands, which appear very much as they did during the heydays of the Santa Fe Trail. Continuing to following the Cimarron River, the trail then moved southward into present-day Cimarron County, Oklahoma, where it crossed the river at Willowbar Crossing and continued southwesterly to Cold Springs. There, Autograph Rock (on private land) still displays the names that scores of travelers carved into the ledges at the springs. The trail then passed by the Camp Nichols, a short-lived military post established by Christopher “Kit” Carson in 1865. The trail exited Oklahoma, making its way into Union County, New Mexico. Subsequently, the trail passed by several historic sites and landmarks, such as Rabbit Ears Mountain, McNee’s Crossing, and Wagon Mound before joining up with the northern branch at Watrous, New Mexico.
But, for the Cimarron Route, lack of water wasn’t the only problem. Another, often greater fear, was Indian attacks. Though the government had made treaties with the Kanza and Osage tribes in Kansas to guarantee safe passage, no such treaties were made with the Comanche, Kiowa, Cheyenne, Pawnee, and Apache, who had long roamed the Plains through which the Cimarron Cutoff was blazed. In the early days of trail travel, as the Indians saw the travelers as more of a curiosity than anything else. At that time, they were generally content to allow passage in exchange for a few supplies.