Legends Of America
Since 2003

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Old West Lawmen - C-1

Index          <<  Previous  A  B  C  D  E   F  G   H-I  J-K   L  M-N  O-Q  R  S  T  U-Z  Next  >>


Bill Caine (18??-1893) - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned in the Southern District of Indian Territory at Paris, Texas under Marshal Sheb Williams. He was shot and killed in April, 1893 while attempting to arrest Bud English, a prominent stockman near Woodville, Chickasaw Nation. Caine was with a posse tracking a gang of horse thieves that included Bud English, when the outlaws resisted arrest and a gunfight ensued. Years later, one of the posse members recognized Bud English on the streets of Ardmore, Oklahoma and identified him as the man who had killed Caine. Bud English was arrested in Ardmore, nine years after Caine’s murder.


James F. CairnsJames Cairns (1851-1934) - Born in Scotland in 1851, Cairns immigrated to the United States somewhere along the line and was living in Indiana in 1871. From there, he moved to Kansas and in 1875 began to work as a peace officer in Wichita, Kansas. In the same year that Cairns was hired, so was a young Wyatt Earp. Both policemen made $60.00 per month. In 1879, he became Wichita's town marshal, a position he held for the next eleven years. Cairnes was also the brother-in-law of the famous Bat Masterson, having married Bat’s sister, Nellie.


California Ranger Badge California State Rangers - California's first state-wide law enforcement agency, the Rangers were formed in 1853 when the legislature authorized a body of some 20 men to kill or capture the Mexican bandit Joaquin Murrieta and his gang called the Five Joaquins. Led by former Texas Ranger Captain Harry Love, the men tracked down the gang and allegedly killed Murrieta and his right hand man Manuel Garcia, known as "Three Fingered Jack." Later, the Rangers were disbanded; however, Captain Love and another ranger stayed on at the State Capitol and helped to form the California State police. Over the years, the organization was reorganized several times and was eventually merged with the California Highway Patrol in 1995.


Harry H. Callahan - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned in the Fourth District of the Texas Eastern District in 1893. Harry lived near Hominy, Oklahoma and worked the Osage country with Deputy Marshals Lee Taylor and Charles Douglas. In April, 1894, Callahan was involved in a gunfight with several other deputies when they tried to orrest six outlaws southeast of Pawhuska, Oklahoma. During the fray, Callahan killed outlaw tom Crook and the possee captured the others. In August of 1896, Harry and his posse were involved in a running gunfight with the Doolin Gang. During the shooting fray, one of the outlaws was shot but was carried off when they made their escape.


George Washington Campbell (1850-1881) - Born on December 23, 1850, in Greenup County, Kentucky, Campbell's father died six months before he was born and his mother died when the boy was just nine. He and his three brothers and a sister were then raised by relatives. By 1875, Campbell had moved to Montague County, Texas, where he worked as a cattle ranch cook. However, the following year, he was living at Henrietta, Texas where he became a deputy under Sheriff John T. Craig. Working as a lawman, he soon earned a reputation for bravery and honesty. On May 15, 1880, he accepted a job as a detective for a cattle raisers' association in New Mexico. Traveling throughout the state, he was in El Paso, Texas by the end of the year and was offered a position of El Paso City Marshal. However, as the salary was either too low or went unpaid, he resigned in January, 1881. Unfortunately for Campbell, he inadvertently got involved in a gunfight, often referred to as the Four Dead in Five Seconds gunfight and was shot by El Paso City Marshal Dallas Stoudenmire on April 14, 1881. Campbell died the following day.


Malcolm "Old Grizzly” Campbell (1839-1932) - Frontier lawman Malcolm Cambell was born near London, Ontario, Canada on June 4, 1839. When he was 25, the family moved to DeWitt, Iowa and the following year to Beatrice, Nebraska. There, Campbell entered the freighting business, moving supplies to Forts Kearney and McPherson. After a skirmish with Indians, he moved to Cheyenne, Wyoming, where he again worked as a freighter, as well as driving cattle.

In 1882, he was became a deputy sheriff under Nathaniel Boswell and three terms under Lew Miller in Albany County, Wyoming. During this time, his most notable capture was when he arrested fugitive Colorado cannibal, Alfred Packer in the spring of 1883. In 1888, Campbell was elected sheriff of the Converse County, Wyoming, which bordered Johnson County to the north. Though this was the very time of the infamous "Johnson County War,” Campbell did not get involved.


On one occasion when a gunfight at a saloon resulted in the arrest of one of the shooters, a small party of men demanded the release of the prisoner so they could "finish him off." However when Campbell gave them a defiant look and said: "Over my dead body," the men rode away. After serving as sheriff he also served for a time as town marshal in Douglas, Wyoming and was active in politics. The oldest peace officer in Wyoming, he lived a long life and died at the age of 93 on Juy 21, 1932 and buried at the Highland Cemetery in Casper, Wyoming. During his lifetime, he was not only called "Old Grizzly," but also the "fire eating marshal.




Frank M. Canton, aka: Joe Horner (1849-1927) - Canton was actually born as Joe Horner near Richmond, Virginia. As a child to he moved to Texas with his family and while in his teens became a cowboy, herding cattle from North Texas to the Kansas railheads in the 1860's. In 1871 he dropped from sight and made his living as a bank robber and rustler. He was jailed for robbing a bank in Comanche, Texas but escaped and returned to cattle herding. After driving a herd to Ogallala, Nebraska, he changed his name to Frank Canton and vowed to uphold law and order. 


He was soon hired as the top enforcer of the Wyoming Stock Grower's Association, a group of powerful cattlemen in Johnson County, Wyoming. He was later elected sheriff of the county. It was here that he made his reputation in the notorious Johnson County War of Wyoming in the 1890's and was involved in the unlawful hanging of James Averell and Cattle Kate.


Afterwards he fled south, becoming a U.S. Deputy Marshal in Indian Territory under Judge Isaac Parker and made a name for himself as a strong and honest lawman. Canton accepted another appointment as a U.S. Deputy Marshal in Alaska in 1897. Some time later, he returned to Oklahoma and once more became a lawman. In 1907, he became adjutant general of the Oklahoma National Guard, a post he held until his death in 1927.


John Carlton (1837-1887) - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned in the Western District at Fort Smith, Arkansas. Carlton was born about 1837 and resided at Searcy, Arkansas. He was employed by the United States Secret Service and served during the Civil War as a soldier in the First Texas Confederate Infantry, before being appointed as a U.S. Deputy Marshal. He was killed in the line of duty on November 5, 1887 while attempting to arrest John Hogan in Dennison, Texas. Hogan who was tried and convicted in a Texas court and sentenced to life imprisonment in 1888.


Frank Canton

Frank Canton, outlaw turned U.S. Marshal

This image available for photographic prints and downloads HERE!


Joe Carson (1840-1880) - Both a lawman and an outlaw, Carson was born in Tennessee in 1840 but by 1877 was in Texas before later moving to the Colorado Mining camps. In 1879 he was living at Las Vegas, New Mexico, working as a hotel clerk before getting involved in the notorious Dodge City Gang. Working for crooked Judge Hoodoo Brown, he worked with the likes of "Dirty Dave" Rudabaugh, "Mysterious Dave" Mather and a number of others who controlled a number of criminal activities under the guise of the "law." Carson and Rudabaugh were both suspected of robbing a Santa Fe-Las Vegas stagecoach on August 18, 1879. In January 22, 1880, a gunfight erupted at the Close and Patterson Saloon in Las Vegas when the "officers" demanded that several tough characters check their guns. Instead, Tom Henry and John Dorsey let bullets fly, hitting Carson eight times. Dave Mather killed one of the shooters and wounded Thomas Henry. The Dodge City Gang was later run out of Las Vegas.


Thomas "Tom" Carson (18??-1872) - The nephew of Kit Carson, Tom grew up to be a police officer in Abilene, Kansas, working under Wild Bill Hickok in 1871. On one occasion he confronted notorious gunman, John Wesley Hardin, who was wearing weapons, which was against Abilene regulations. Hardin explained that he feared being killed and luckily Carson didn’t become one of Hardin’s victims. Carson then moved on to another wild cattle town - Newton, Kansas, where, after the Hyde Park Gunfight on August 20, 1871, he was hired briefly as an officer. However, by November, 1871, he was back in Abilene, working as a police officer under Brocky Jack Norton. That very same month, Carson shot and wounded a bartender named John Man and both Norton and Carson were discharged on November 27, 1871. Two months later, Carson shot and wounded Norton in January, 1872. He was arrested and put in jail, but escaped in February, only to turn up later working as a lawman in Dodge City, Kansas where he was killed.


Charles C. "Crit” Carter - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned in the Southern District Court of Indian Territory at Paris, Texas in 1894. In March of 1896, after Crit gave up his commission he joined a game of craps with a colored man, named Dick Anderson at Deane, Indian Territory. The game ended in a dispute between the two men, which left Anderson critically wounded after being shot. Death came within a few hours and Carter fled to Comanche country heading for the Wichita Mountains with a posse in pursuit.


Jose Casaver - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned on August 17, 1892 in the Western District at Fort Smith, Arkansas serving under Marshal Jacob Yoes. In October, 1894, he and U.S. Deputy Marshal Bruner were providing security on a passenger train, which word had gotten to the marshal service, was going to be robbed by the Cook Gang. The rumors they had heard were correct as near Coretta, Oklahoma the Cook Gang attacked. However, they were so fast that the outlaws caught Deputy Marshals Casaver and Bruner completely off guard. As the train robbers rode next to the train, they riddled it with bullets, breaking all of the windows. Inside, the passengers, including the deputies, took cover by laying low. Though several passengers were wounded by the stray gunfire, miraculously, no one was killed. The outlaws then boarded the train and relieved the passengers of their possessions, including Casaver and Bruner, whose watches were stolen.


J. D. Castleman - U.S. Deputy Marshal commissioned in the Southern District Court of Indian Territory at Paris, Texas assigned to the Ardmore area in 1890. He and other posse members trailed the Bill Hudgins gang who had been robbing stores across Indian Territory in 1890 and 1891. When Castleman caught up with the outlaws near Ardmore, Oklahoma, a gunfight erupted and Hudgins was wounded. Only one of the fugitives was able to escape and Hudgins was sent to prison in Detroit, Michigan.


Randolph W. Cathey (1877?-1907) - An Assistant City Marshal in Pauls Valley, Oklahoma. After Cathey had arrested the nephew of Jim Stephenson, a local saloon operator, and beat him into submission when the man resisted arrest, Jim Stephenson openly threatened the officer’s life on several occasions. Stephenson’s threats were not idle, as on November 3, 1907, he ambushed Cathey as he was leaving a café shooting him in the chest and abdomen. Though severely wounded, Cathey was able to return the fire before he died, wounding Stephenson three times in the legs. Stephenson was immediately arrested and taken to jail in Ardmore, Oklahoma. Officers kept a close eye on the prisoner, as well as the town folk, fearing citizens would try to lynch the killer. The next morning, outraged citizens of Pauls Valley held a mass meeting and passed a resolution all liquor dealers and saloon operators had three hours to remove their goods and leave town. The town folk further threatened that any items remaining beyond the three hour deadline would be dragged into the street and burned. The whiskey peddlers left and Cathey received on of the largest funeral services ever held in Pauls Valley, after which his body was shipped to his parents in Youngsport, Texas for burial. Stephenson was later tried for Marshal Cathey's murder, but on April 17, 1909, he was acquitted by a jury.




Continued Next Page

Index          <<  Previous  A  B  C  D  E   F  G   H-I  J-K   L  M-N  O-Q  R  S  T  U-Z  Next  >>

  From Legends' General Store

Digital DownloadsLearning Fun - Legends of America has been collecting resources for more than a decade and wish to share with our customers and readers. Teachers, students, homeschoolers, and anyone interested in learning more about history will find a treasure trove of information HERE!

Digital downloads including images, historic articles, mini-posters & maps, coloring pages, E-books and more --- Many of which are FREE! Plus our first new Coloring Book with bits of history thrown in for a fun, relaxing learning experience. From the American Revolution to Route 66, short articles accompany coloring pages for all to enjoy. Book includes 20 detailed coloring pages and 18 historic text pages.


See Here!                          Legends Coloring Book     Digital Downloads     Coloring Pages

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America