Nevada Legends

From Silver to Slots

Welcome to Nevada Legends

The California Trail – Rush to Gold

The Comstock Lode

The Donner Party Tragedy

The Ghost of Armbruster Pike

Frank “Shorty” Harris – Single Blanket Jackass Prospector

Las Vegas, Nevada – Sin City, USA

The Death of Sheriff Tom Logan

Ghost Towns & Mining Camps

Bullfrog Mining District

People of the Bullfrog Mining District

Delamar – The Widow Maker

Death Valley Ghost Towns

Goldfield – Queen of the Mining Camps

Haunted Goldfield Hotel

Gold Point – Waxing & Waning Through Time

Goodsprings, – Still Kicking the Desert Dust

Nelson & Eldorado Canyon – Lawlessness on the Colorado River

Hell Dogs of Eldorado Canyon

Nevada Death Valley Ghost Towns

Rhyolite – Little More Than a Memory

Searchlight Lives On

Silver City and Gold Hill – Mining the Comstock Lode

Swindle at the Gold Bar Mine

Tybo – Plight of the Chinese

Virginia City and the Comstock Lode

History & Fascinating Facts of Lake Tahoe

Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad

A Midnight Adventure in Nevada

Nevada Credits & Contributors

Nevada Fun Facts & Trivia

Nevada Indian Battles

Nevada Mining Tales

Nevada Postcards

Nevada Triangle – A Trap in the Mountains

Pioneers on the Nevada Frontier

Pony Express – Fasted Mail Across the West

Queho – Renegade Indian Outlaw

Quirky Nevada – Roadside Attractions

Goldwell Open Air Museum

M&M’s World

Rhyolite Bottle Building

Stokes Castle in Austin, Nevada

Thunder Mountain Park

Tales of the Overland Stage

Treasure Hunting in Nevada

Violence on the Nevada Frontier

Nevada Postcard

Greetings from Nevada Postcard, available at Legends’ General Store.

Welcome to Nevada Legends

Before the first white explorers entered Nevada, the region was inhabited by the PaiuteShoshone, and Washoe tribes. The first European to come to the area is thought to have been Spanish priest Francisco Garces in 1776. The area formed part of the Viceroyalty of New Spain and was called  Nevada (snowy) due to the snow which covered the mountains in winter. The state became part of Mexico when it gained independence in 1821. In 1826 Peter Skene Ogden of the British Hudson’s Bay Company came to Nevada in a prelude to his later exploration of the Humboldt River. The same year, American trapper Jedediah Smith began to traverse the state.

The region was annexed by the United States in 1848 after its victory in the Mexican-American War, and it was incorporated as part of Utah Territory in 1850.

The discovery of silver at the Comstock Lode in 1859 led to a population boom and Nevada Territory was carved out of Utah Territory in 1861. It became the 36th state three years later on October 31, 1864.

Today, much of the state’s economy is tied to tourism.  Whether it’s enjoying a concert in Las Vegas , visiting one of the many ghost towns, such as RhyoliteGold Point or Treasure City; or, sailing on Lake Tahoe; Nevada is a playground for visitors.

You can ski in the winter at Mount Charleston, go climbing at Red Rock Canyon, golf at hundreds of courses, enjoy 24 state parks and 314 mountain ranges, and of course, gamble pretty much anywhere, if that’s your fancy.

Welcome to the Silver State!

Nevada State Flag – On a cobalt blue field, a variant of the state’s emblem sits in the upper left hand corner. The emblem is a five-pointed silver star placed between two sprays of sagebrush crossed to form a half wreath; across the top of the wreath is a golden scroll with the words, in black letters, “Battle Born.” The name “Nevada” is beneath the star in gold letters. The current Nevada State Flag design was adopted March 26, 1929, and revised in 1991.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *