Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA  

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Pueblos, Ancient & Modern -  Page 3

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  >> 

 

 

Taos Pueblo, New MexicoTaos Pueblo, New Mexico - Just two miles north of the city of Taos, New Mexico, stands the centuries old Taos Pueblo, one of the longest continually inhabited communities in the United States. Originally settled about 1,000 years ago by Tiwa-speaking Pueblo Indians, the pueblo appears today much like it did centuries ago. Over the centuries, the pueblo was seen many battles, but today continues to stand as a World Heritage Site, a National Historic Landmark, and its northern pueblo, one of the most photographed buildings in the Western Hemisphere. Admission and camera fees are charged, and no pictures may be taken on ceremonial days. Contact information: Taos Pueblo, Taos, New Mexico, 575-758-1028. See Full Article HERE.

 

Tesuque Pueblo, New Mexico -  Located in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, Tesuque Pueblo has stood on its present location since 1200 A.D.  As such, it is one of the more traditional pueblos and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was deeply involved in the Pueblo Revolt of 1680.  The Tesuque Pueblo, comprised of about 400 residents, is one of the most traditional of all New Mexico pueblos in observing ceremonies and preserving culture. The pueblo is closed to the public on certain days of the year so call ahead before visiting. The pueblo is located about 10 miles north of Santa Fe off U.S. 84-285. Tesuque Pueblo, Rt. 5, Box 360-T, Santa Fe, New Mexico 87506; 800-483-1040 or 505-983-2667/988-3620.

 

Ysleta del Sur Pueblo MissionYsleta del Sur Pueblo, TexasAlso called the Tigua Pueblo, these people were originally from the Isletta Pueblo in New Mexico. During the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, the Tiwa speaking Pueblo Indians were captured and marched to a new location near El Paso, Texas. A new pueblo was established in 1682, and since then, the tribe has retained a significant presence in the El Paso region that helped pave the way for the development of the area. The pueblo is one of three federally recognized tribes located in Texas and the only Pueblo located in the state. The Tigua maintain their traditional political system and ceremonial practices and continues to flourish as a Pueblo community. Tribal enrollment is over 1,600 citizens. The site currently features a museum, shops, and ceremonies that are open to the public. Contact information: Ysleta del Sur Pueblo, 305 Yaya Lane, Ysleta, Texas 79907; 915-859-7913.

 

Zia Pueblo, New Mexico -  Located north of Albuquerque, New Mexico, the Keresan-speaking pueblo has been occupied continuously since about 1250 A.D. Once one of the largest of the Rio Grande River pueblos with eight plazas and 6,000 people, the pueblo has decreased in size to a population of less than 700 today. The Zia sun symbol was adopted by the state of New Mexico and appears on the state flag.

 

The community provides for a tribal museum, Zia Lake, Zia Cultural Center, as well as shops that feature their well-known pottery. Visitors are welcome at the annual feast day in August, but no cameras, sketchings or recordings are allowed. The pueblo is located 17 miles northwest of Bernalillo and eight miles northwest of Santa Ana Pueblo on U.S. 550. The pueblo can be visited daily from dawn to dusk; closed during some religious ceremonies. Contact information: Zia Pueblo, 135 Capital Square Dr., Zia Pueblo, New Mexico  87053-6013; 505-867-3304.

 

Zuni Pueblo, New Mexico - The largest of the 19 New Mexico pueblos, with more than 700 square miles and a population of over 10,000, the Zuni are considered the most traditional of all the Pueblo peoples, speaking a unique language and having a dissimilar culture and history that resulted, in part, from geographic isolation. The Zuni Pueblo of Hawikuh, one of six historic Zuni pueblos, was the first to be discovered by Spanish explorers in the 1500's.

 

 

 

Zuni Pueblo, 1873These pueblos, seen from afar, gave credence to the Spanish legend of the seven gold Cities of Cíbola, which led Coronado on his 1540 to 1542 expedition into the Southwest. More Spanish expeditions eventually led to the ultimate conquering of the pueblos Today the pueblo incorporates adobe house blocks, modern sandstone dwellings, plazas, hornos (outdoor baking ovens), traditional "waffle gardens," named for their unique irrigation system; and corrals. Zuñi Pueblo is among the largest of the still inhabited or "living" pueblos in the United States. It also features the Hawikuh ruins, abandoned during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, as well as craftsmen shops, and multiple events throughout the year. Zuñi Pueblo is on the Zuni Indian Reservation, two miles north of Zuni, New Mexico, on NM 53. Visitors are welcome daily from dawn to dusk. Photography is allowed by permission only. Contact information: Pueblo of Zuni, 1203B NM Highway 53, PO Box 339, Zuni, New Mexico  87327; 505-782-7000.

 

 

Ancient Pueblos and Ruins:



Aztec Ruins National Monument, New Mexico - Aztec Ruins Monument contains the remains of prehistoric Anasazi structures. The ruins were named when European settlers mistakenly attributed them to the Aztecs. The largest preserved structure is the West Ruin, a D-shaped great house constructed in the early 1100s. With close to 400 rooms, the site was occupied for over 200 years. Hubbard Site, dating from the early 1100s and one of only a handful of tri-walled structures in the Southwest, has three concentric walls divided into 22 rooms, with a kiva. Also of note is the Great Kiva, situated in the center of West Ruin's plaza. It was rebuilt in 1934 by Earl Morris, archeologist for the American Museum of Natural History.

 

By 1300 A.D. the Anasazi had vacated the sites and left the river valley for unknown reasons. Aztec Ruins National Monument, administered by the National Park Service, is one mile north of Aztec, New Mexico, off US 550. Aztec Ruins are also part of the Chaco Culture National Historical Park World Heritage Site. Contact: Astec Ruins National Monument, 84 County Road 2900 ("Ruins Road"), Aztec, New Mexico  87410, 505-334-6174, ext. 230

 

Bandelier National MonumentBandelier National Monument, New Mexico - Bandelier National Monument was first occupied by the Anasazi in the late 12th-early 13th centuries. The monument's sheer canyon walls contain numerous cave dwellings as well as petroglyphs and pictographs that date from this period. Surface dwellings include the remains of two large villages, Tyuonyi and Tsankawi. Most of the occupants had vacated the area by the mid-1500s for unknown reasons. The distinctive pueblo-revival style Visitor's Center was built of hand-hewn stone by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, and today the Bandelier CCC Historic District is a National Historic Landmark. Bandelier National Monument, administered by the National Park Service, is 10 miles south of Los Alamos, New Mexico, on NM 4. The Visitors Center is open daily. Contact: Bandelier National Monument, 15 Entrance Road, Los Alamos, New Mexico  87544, (505) 672-3861.

 

Black Mesa, New Mexico - Also called Big Mountain, Black Mesa, located in northeastern Arizona, is a major geographic feature of the Colorado Plateau. This extensive plateau rises to about 8,000 feet at its highest point. It derives its dark appearance from the numerous seams of coal which run through it. Reliable springs surfacing at several locations made it suitable continuous habitation and was sporadically occupied by Paleo-Indians as early as 7000 B.C. There is abundant evidence of Basketmaker II occupation north of the Hopi villages on Black Mesa. Prehistoric farmers returned to the same habitation sites and campsites year after year. They were flood-plain farmers, collecting some portion of the seasonal rains as they streamed off the mesas and flooded their cornfields positioned in or along broad shallow washes. The mesa is now split between the Hopi and Navajo tribal reservations. It is located 17 miles west of Rough Rock, Arizona.

 

Butler Wash Overlook, Utah - Butler Wash Ruin is a cliff dwelling that was built and occupied by the Ancestral Puebloans, sometimes known as Anasazi in about 1200 A.D. Parts of the site has been stabilized and reconstructed, but, most of it remains as it was found in the 1800's. There are habitation, storage and ceremonial structures, including four kivas. This ruin is located in a side canyon of Butler Wash, on the east side of Comb Ridge. A trail to the site winds its way across slickrock and washes to reach an overlook of the cliff dwelling. Round trip hiking distance is one mile and takes approximately a half hour. The difficulty is moderate. An interpretive sign is located at the overlook. Ample parking and a restroom is provided. There is no water at this site, and desert temperatures can be extremely hot and dry. Plan ahead and be prepared. Bring appropriate clothing and lots of water when visiting this site. The site, administered by the Bureau of Land Management is located about 14 miles south of Blanding, Utah and is well signed on Hwy 95. It is open year round and there is no admission fee. Contact Information: Butler Wash, BLM Monticello Field Office, 435 North Main, PO Box 7, Monticello, Utah 84535, 435-587-1500.

 

 

Continued Next Page

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  >> 

From Legends' Photo Shop

Native Americanv Vintage photo prints and downloads.Native American Photo Prints - Hundreds of restored vintage photographs of famous chiefs and leaders, warriors, rituals and ceremonies, Native American life, and lots more. Our Native American images are available in a variety of sizes, paper types, and canvas prints. Cropping, color options, and digital downloads for commercial purposes are also available.

 

Restored Vintage Native American Photos

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America