Legends Of America
Since 2003

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Old West Outlaws - I-J

Index       << Previous  A  B  C  D  E-F  G  H  I-J  K  L  M  N-O  P-Q  R S T-U  V-Z  Next >>



Gibson Ishtanubbee (18??-1876) - Gibson Ishtanubbee was an iterant drifter working his way through the Chickasaw Nation near Stonewall, Mississippi in 1873. Along with another drifter by the name of Isham Seely, the pair arrived at the door of a farmer who was called "Squirrel" Funny. The farmer, who  lived with his black housekeeper and a cook in a small cabin, answered a knock on the door to find the two men who asked if they might be allowed to spend the night before continuing their travels the next day. As was tradition at the time, the farmer agreed and showed them where they might sleep. However, just before dawn the next morning, Istanubbee drove an ax into Funny's skull while he slept while Selly beat the housekeeper to death with a pistol Afterwards, the two looted the house, before fleeing. They did not get far and were soon arrested. Taken to stand trial in Fort Smith, Arkansas, Judge Isaac Parker sentenced them both to death.  Both were hanged on April 21, 1876.


Frank Jackson, aka: Blockey (1856-??) - Born in Texas in 1856, Jackson was orphaned as a boy and was trained to be a tinsmith. However, he was not very interested in the profession and by the time he was twenty he was working as a cowboy on the Murphy Ranch in Denton, Texas. The Murphy Ranch also just happened to be one of Sam Bass' hideouts. Frank's first foray into the outlaw life was when he murdered a man named Henry Goodall, a black man accused of horse theft. After the two got into an argument, Jackson shot Goodall and cut his throat. Officially an "outlaw" he then joined the Sam Bass Gang in robbing banks and trains. However, when they went to rob a bank in Round Rock, Texas on September 20, 1878, the Texas Rangers, who had been tipped off, were waiting for them. In the inevitable gunfight, gang member Seaborn Barnes was shot in the head and Bass was severely wounded. Though Bass was severely wounded, he made it to his horse and rode out of town along with the help of Frank Jackson. The next day Bass was found lying helpless in a pasture north of town and was brought back to Round Rock where he died without telling the authorities anything about where Jackson was headed. Afterwards, Frank Jackson made the ultimate escape. It is thought that he became a successful rancher New Mexico and died about 1930.


"Teton" Jackson (18??-1893) - Thought to have been from Missouri, he was said to have been a fugitive running from some offense that occurred in Joplin, Missouri. By 1876; however, he was working as a scout for General Crook during the Yellowstone and Big Horn Expeditions. He then began to lead a gang of horse thieves in the Jackson Hole, Wyoming area. In 1887, he was captured by Johnson County, Wyoming, Sheriff Frank Canton and sentenced to prison in Idaho. Jackson; however stabbed a guard around 1890 and escaped. Within a couple of years, he was re-arrested and sent back to prison. When he tried again to escape, he was killed in 1893.


Frank James, outlawAlexander Franklin "Frank" James, a/k/a "Buck” (1843-1915) -Frank was the older brother of Jesse James, riding with the James-Younger Gang gang on most of their robberies. Born in Clay County, Missouri on January 10, 1843, he and his brother were brought up by their mother after their father left for the California gold fields and never returned. Slave owners, the family supported the Confederate cause during the Civil War and when William Quantrill established a band of guerilla fighters, both Frank and Jesse joined him. Frank was with Quantrill'ss Raiders on August 21, 1863 when they ransacked and burned the town of Lawrence, Kansas, killing 150 people.   Afterward the war he and Jesse began their rampage of thievery and murder. After Jesse was killed, he surrendered to authorities  in 1882. He was tried and acquitted by a sympathetic Missouri jury. The last thirty years of Frank James' life saw him not as an illustrious outlaw but as a farmer, shoe salesman, race track starter, and directed a Wild West show. Frank died quietly in 1915 and is buried at Hill Park Cemetery in Independence, Missouri. Read more about Frank - The Other James Boy  


John Jarrette (1836-1868?or 1906?) - Born in Kentucky, John married Mary Josephine Younger, sister to the would-be outlaw Younger Brothers. The couple lived in Jackson County, Missouri and had two children. When the Civil War broke out, Jarrette rode with Quantrill's Raiders and afterwards joined the James-Younger Gang. He is said to have been involved in five bank robberies between 1866 and 1868. He was thought to have died in a house fire along with his wife in 1868, but other tales say that he was living in California as late as 1891. More recently however strong proof surfaced that he actually died in Greenwood,  British Columbia, Canada, where the Greenwood Heritage Society recently unveiled a new grave marker for the elusive outlaw.



Alphonso J. "Al" Jennings (1863-1961) - Born in Virginia in 1863, Jennings and his family moved to Oklahoma and settling at El Reno. When he grew up, he attended law school and served as a prosecuting attorney in Canadian County from 1892 to 1894. He then joined his brothers, Ed and John in a law practice at Woodward, Oklahoma in 1895. In October of that year, his brother Ed and John were involved in a shootout with a rival attorney named Temple Lea Houston. When the smoke cleared, Ed was dead and John was wounded. When Houston, who was the son of one of Texas ' greatest hero's Sam Houston, was acquitted for murder the next year, Al left Woodward and along with another brother, Frank, the two went to work as cowboys. Before long, Al and Frank decided to turn to a life of crime. Joined by former Doolin Gang member "Little Dick" West, his brother Frank, and brothers Morris and Pat O'Malley, the "Jennings Gang" planned their first train robbery on the night of August 16, 1897. Howeve4r, after stopping the train at Edmond, they found it impossible to shoot or blast the safe open. A few nights later they tried to flag down another train by standing in the center of the tracks, but the engineer kept his hand on the throttle and roared forward, with Jennings leaping out of the way at the last moment. Another attempt a few days later had the same results. On October 1st, they tried again, blowing up a baggage car on a train stopped for water eight miles south of Minco, Oklahoma. When no money was found in the safe, they proceeded to rob the passengers. Miserable failures at train robbery, the gang then turned to robbing a store in Cushing, Oklahoma on October 29, 1897. Netting only $15, the failed gang split up. In December, 1897, Al and his brother Frank were captured by U.S. Deputy Bud Ledbetter. In 1899 he was sentenced to life in prison, but due to the legal efforts of his brother, John, the sentence was reduced to five years. He then became active in politics and publishing his biography, Beating Back, in 1913, he won votes campaigning honestly about his past. Later he moved to California and worked in the movie industry making Westerns and telling much exagerrated tales of his ribald "outlaw" past. He died in Tarzana, California, on December 26, 1961.


"Arkansas Tom" Jones - See Roy Daugherty



Continued Next Page

Index       << Previous  A  B  C  D  E-F  G  H  I-J  K  L  M  N-O  P-Q  R S T-U  V-Z  Next >>


Legends of America's Photo Blog