About eight miles northwest of Seminole Canyon State Park is the old townsite of Shumla. Yet another stop along the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio Railroad, this station, situated on the north side of the tracks got its start at the same time as the other railroad towns of the area – 1882. The year before, hundreds of Chinese and European immigrants worked to connect the eastern and western halves of America’s second and southern-most transcontinental rail line.
When we visited, there were only a scattering of buildings left and a reader advised us that they were slated to be torn down. See Full Article HERE.
This large rock shelter was the scene of several prehistoric buffalo jumps. More than 11,000 years ago, during the early Paleoindian era at the end of the last Ice Age, the people of the time began to stampede herds of buffalo over the edge of a cliff overhanging the shelter in a narrow box canyon that empties into the Rio Grande River. This technique of stampeding buffalo off a cliff is usually associated with the Plains Indians, hundreds of miles to the north. Bonfire Shelter is southernmost buffalo kill-site in North America and is also the oldest known site.
Stone tools, including Paleo-Indian arrowheads and radiocarbon dating of charcoal from small hearths, date to 10,000 years ago, when herds of the giant bison were driven over the cliff above. The most recent evidence shows that about 800 B.C., Late Archaic hunters succeeded, on at least one occasion, in driving as many as 800 buffalo off the same cliff. Killing far more than they could make use of, they left behind a rotting heap of partially butchered carcasses, that spontaneously combusted in an intense blaze that reduced most of the bones to ash. From this event, is where the shelter takes its name. See Full Article HERE.
Along with several other old towns in the region, Langtry got its start when the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio Railroad was built through the area in 1881. Beginning as a grading camp for the railroad workers, it was first called Eagle Nest, for the nearby creek. When it became known that a Justice of the Peace was wanted for the area, Roy Bean was quick to volunteer and on August 2, 1882, he became the “legal authority” in the area. He first operated his “justice” out of his tent saloon in Vinegarroon, another railroad camp to the south.
As the vast majority of railroad workers moved to Langtry so did Judge Roy Bean. There, he quickly set up another tent saloon on railroad land, to the chagrin of Cezario Torres who owned most of the land beside the railroad right-of-way. See full article HERE!
From Langtry, the Pecos Trail continues through the Chihuahuan Desert on US Highway 90 before coming to a Texas Historic Marker commemorating the town of Pumpville.
Located about 2.5 miles north of the historic marker on FM Road 1865, Pumpville got its start as a water station for the Galveston, Harrisburg, & San Antonio Railroad in 1882. It soon gained a telegraph office and a small crew for the station. It was first called Samuels, but five years later, when the railroad drilled wells at the town to supply water for the trains, the town was renamed Pumpville. The railroad also built a large storage tank and housing for the railroad crews.
It is an entire ghost town today, but amazingly, its Baptist Church continues to draw a small congregation from miles around.
The Pecos Trail continues to snake its way through the arid terrain onwards to Dryden and Sanderson. Along the way, there are several glimpses of old ranches, homes, and one “almost town” that was called Cedar Station. Though it sounds as if it might have been another of the many stops along the railroad, this little place came later to service the travelers along the highway. Nothing more than a few decaying buildings today, it once boasted a service station that also sold food and drinks, a small motel, and a home for the Smith family, who once operated the stop.
Another few more miles down the highway brings the traveler to the tiny town of Dryden, once the site of one of the last Texas train robberies.
Tiny little Dryden, Texas, population about 13, is one of just two communities in Terrell County, which sprawls across 2,358 square miles in the Chihuahuan Desert of southwest Texas. Like Dryden, the county, comprised mostly of large sheep and cattle ranches, is sparsely populated, with only about 1,100 people calling it home.
Once the headquarters for numerous large ranches and several businesses, all that remains today are about a dozen people and general store, that is as sparsely stocked as the county’s population. However, the area has a rich history including the last major train robbery in Texas, ancient Native American pictographs, Black Seminole Scouts, and more. See full article HERE!
The last stop on this picturesque portion of the Pecos Trail is Sanderson, Texas, the county seat of Terrell County. Known as the Cactus Capital of Texas and the Eastgate to the Big Bend Wilderness Area, Sanderson is home to most Terrell County residents. Situated on U.S. Highway 90 about midway between San Antonio and El Paso, it has a rich and colorful past that can be seen in many of its historic buildings.
One of the first to settle in the area was a man named Charlie Wilson, who established a saloon near the site of the proposed railroad terminal. Calling it the Cottage Bar Saloon, Wilson also bought all of the lands which would later become the Sanderson townsite. In these earliest days, he also had a competitor – none other than Roy Bean, who also hoped to capitalize on the incoming railroad crews. However, when Bean opened another saloon, Wilson spiked his whiskey with “coal oil” and Bean soon moved eastward to Vinegarroon and Langtry. Wilson’s riddance of his competitor would later earn the name, “Town Too Mean for Bean.” See full article HERE!
The Texas Pecos Trail follows along a diverse landscape, including sand dunes, underground caverns, spring-fed pools, numerous rivers and creeks, lakes and much more. See much more HERE!