Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA  

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Carbon County Ghost Towns - Page 2

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next  >>

 

 

National - Though coal was discovered in the area in 1908, a town wasn’t developed until the National Coal Company began operations in the early 1920s, naming the settlement after the company. Located along upper Gordon Creek mine officials’ houses and buildings were constructed of red brick. In 1921, the National Coal Company and Gordon Creek Coal Company began constructing a line from the Utah Railroad in Helper to the Gordon Creek mining operations.

 

The town shared a post office, school house, hospital and amusement hall with the nearby mining camps of Consumers and Sweets, but had its own store and a central well. The mining company buildings and officials’ homes were the only dwellings with indoor plumbing.

 

The National Coal Company discontinued its operations in July, 1938 and by the end of the year was sold under foreclosure.

 

In early 1940, the tipple, machinery, railroad, and anything else of value was sold to the highest bidder. Though mining operations were continued once again by the new owner of the property, they were short lived and the town soon died permanently.

 

 

Carbon County, Utah ghost town

Of the few buildings that remain on Consumers Road, most

 will not be there for long, April, 2008, Kathy Weiser.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

 

 

Carbon County, Utah Miners, 1919Today, a few foundations and crumbling buildings can still be spied along Gordon Creek. The old site of National is a few miles beyond Coal City, but the only thing left are some foundations on the south side of the road.

Consumers - Like National, coal was discovered in the early 1900s but the mining camp didn’t develop until the 1920s. Arthur E. Gibson secured almost 1,500 acres of land sometime before 1920 and during the winter of 1921-22, he began to develop a seam of coal, hiring men to work the new "mine,” hauling out some 34 wagonloads during the first winter.  By 1924, the Consumers Mutual Coal Company was formed, with Gibson as an officer, but further development was delayed until additional funding became available. However, a town soon developed that was originally called Gibson, sometime later changed to Consumers. Coal shipments over the national Coal Railway began in November, 1925, shipping 6-8 carloads per day and new equipment was purchased to expand the operations. By the time they were complete, there were two mines on each side of the canyon, and by 1926, it was said to have been one of the biggest and most modern coal producing plants in the West. The Consumers Mine was the first in the state to use conveyor belts to haul the coal, rather than depending upon mine cars.  In September, 1927, the company was sold to the Blue Blaze Coal Company and continued operations.

 

The town shared a post office, school house, hospital and amusement hall with the nearby mining camps of National and Sweet, bu,t had its own store and a central well.

 

However, by February, 1938, the Blue Blaze Coal Company at Consumers was in receivership and the mine closed. In June its property was foreclosed on and the following year, all was sold at auction. New owner, the MacGowan Coal Company began operations in October, 1939, and then was sold again to the Hudson Coal Company.

 

In the 1940s, the upper Gordon Creek sites were purchased by Hudson Coal Company. Hudson eventually leased the land to modern mining companies, who continue operations in the area today, but of Consumers, the town is entirely gone, but a few foundations.

 

The old townsite is located just beyond National to the right of a a point where Consumers Road splits. The site was located about ˝ mile on the right fork.

 

Sweet - The Sweet Coal Company was located just southwest of National and developed about the same time as Consumers by William Sweet, who secured a lease on the land. Originally the Gordon Creek Coal company, it was changed to the Sweet Coal Company in 1925. Coal operations produced about 500 tons each day and shipments began from the Sweet mine in January, 1926. The camp that grew up around it took the name of its owner and consisted primarily of tents. However, as the coal flourished, the tents were replaced with permanent buildings and the population grew to about 200 people.

 

The mine temporarily closed in 1937 but reopened during World War II, only to fall into receivership in March, 1940. In March, 1941 it was taken over by the Judson Coal Company who once again began production and the following year bought out all its assets. It continued to be worked until the early 1950s.

 

Nothing remains of the old townsite which is located just beyond National at a point where Consumers Road splits. The site was located about .3 miles on the left fork. The only thing left is a large foundation.

 

 

Continued Next Page

 

A mother & children in Consumers, Utah, 1936

Consumers, Utah was still a bustling place as this mother and child make their way  through the streets in 1936. Today; however, these buildings are gone and active coal mining is taking place in the area. Photo by Dorthea Lange, 1936.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Consumers, Utah today

Where the mining camp of Consumers once stood are these active mining operations, April, 2008, Kathy Weiser.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

National, Utah

More "ghostly" remains, probably National, Utah, April, 2008, Kathy Weiser.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Personalized Products from Legends' General StorePersonalized Products - See your name in "Lights"! - Personalized Products make great gifts for all occasions - weddings, birthdays, holidays, and more. Here, you'll find a large selection to suit most any need. See your name emblazed on Wall Art, Frames, and Fine Gifts, your initials on Barware & Party Gear, Sports Memorabilia, beautiful Jewelry, and Accessories with names, initials, and monograms.

Personalized Products from Legends' General Store

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America