By 1910, gas stations began building bigger
structures that included offices. The earliest companies, such as
Shell and Standard Oil, began to take advantage of the space on the side
of the buildings, painting their logos and names across the side. By
the 1920s, gas station buildings often included canopies, added to protect
their customers from the heat or rain.
began to barrel through the eight states, gas stations started offering
repairs and other services and she structures were enlarged again as
service bays were added to the buildings. These structures continued
to evolve over the years to the place that they are today, sometimes no
bigger than those first early structures.
It was during the same year that
began to be built that the Whiting
Brothers discovered that with just a little lumber from their father’s
mill, they could easily construct a profitable gas station. Originally founded in Saint John,
in 1926, Whiting
Brothers Station soon
became a familiar sight all along
as well as other areas in the Southwest.
profitable, the brothers continued to expand their empire, adding souvenir
shops, cafes, and Whiting
Brothers Motor Inns to
many of their stations. For years and years, the Whiting
Brothers businesses were
a staple along the
Mother Road, along
Burma-Shave signs, and Indian Joe’s Trading Posts.
Alas, along with so
many other profitable businesses along
Brothers ended in the 1990s.
Today, with the exception of one remaining Whiting
Brothers Station in
, and a few buildings that have
been utilized for other businesses purposes, all that’s left of the
empire are its fading yellow and orange signs and crumbling buildings. Soon, these too will most likely disappear, ending another chapter of
are the remains of Whiting
Brothers Stations and
Motels and what is known about them today. If you have information
on other station or motels or know what has become of them please send us