Division One (continued)
Kansas Pony Express Map
Elwood - Situated just across the
St. Joseph is
Pony Express riders as well as wagon trains and thousands
of westbound emigrants crossed the ferry into Kansas. The Elwood Free
Press on April 21, 1860, mentioned that this was the first station on the
Pony Express and that horses were kept there.
Apparently there were two routes between Elwood and Cold Spring, one being
20 miles long, and the other 24. The latter went through Troy. It is not
certain which route was most used.
Cottonwood Springs - Located at the head of Walnut Creek, a tributary
of the Missouri River, this place was owned by Charles Stewart in 1855. By
the early 1900's it was known as the "Old Chamberlain Place."
Johnson's Ranch - A crossing at Peters Creek on the Wathena and Troy
Road, this place stood just about 12 miles beyond St. Joseph. Said to be
located at SE1/4 S15 T3S R21E, 4.5 miles northwest of Wathena and 2.5 m.
east of Troy. In 1868, Abraham Johnson was the owner
Troy Station - Various sources
indicate that this site was located within the town of Troy, at the head
of Mosquito Creek, a tributary of the Missouri River. A monument in
the northwest corner of the courthouse lawn notes the existence of the
relay station. Some authors list the monument's location as the possible
site of the station; but, later research links the station with the Smith
Hotel. Leonard Smith arrived in Troy in 1858 and purchased the Troy Hotel.
Two years later, at the request of the
Central Overland California and Pike's Peak Express, he
constructed a barn large enough for five horses. The renamed Smith Hotel
served as a relay station and was located at the present northeast corner
of East Main and Myrtle Streets. There is a
marker at the
site. The July, 1936 Pony Express Courier reported
that Troy served as the first relay station west of St. Joseph, a distance
of about 15 miles. Stories
associated with handing pastries to the passing rider