began in 1900 when the Rock Island Railroad established a station in
Oldham County. Calvin G. Aten, a former
first built a dugout for his family west of the townsite. The town gained
an official status in the summer of 1909 when the railway was completed
through that portion of Oldham County and was named for an early farmer by
the name of Adrian Cullen. Promotion by an Iowa based Town site Company
quickly attracted prospective farmers and businessmen.
By 1910, Adrian had a post office, a
school, a general store, a bank, a blacksmith shop, a pool hall, a
lumberyard, a brick factory, and a newspaper called the Adrian Eagle. Just five years later the settlement had added two churches, a
drugstore, and telephone service. The Giles Hotel was a famous
landmark of early Adrian, which later became
the Adrian Mercantile and the Adrian Community Center.
populated with businesses, Adrian's
early years saw a slow growth in population due to severe droughts and
difficulties in maintaining sufficient water supplies.
But, Adrian survived to become the
Route 66 between
Los Angeles, a popular stopping place
MidPoint Water Tower in Adrian,
Kathy Weiser, November, 2008.
This image available for photo prints &