Legends Of America
Since 2003

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Montana Flag - Big Sky Legends IconMONTANA LEGENDS

Henry Plummer - Sheriff Meets a Noose

Bookmark and Share


Henry PlummerOne of the most colorful characters of the Wild West, Henry Plummer, allegedly played both sides of the law during his short twenty-seven years. Though for more than a century he was thought to have been guilty of numerous crimes and rightly hanged in Bannack, Montana, today's historians question whether or not he was truly guilty of the crimes he was accused of.


Born in Addison, Maine in 1832, to William Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Handy) Plummer, he was the youngest of seven children. His father, older brother and brother-in-law were all sea captains and Henry was expected to follow in their footsteps. However, the young man was slight of build and consumptive, making the rigors of the sea trade too much for him to handle.


When Henry was a teenager, his father died and the family began to struggle financially. Just two years after the California Gold Rush began; Henry promised his widowed mother that he could help the family by making his fortune in the West. 


In April, 1852, nineteen-year-old Henry sailed from New York on a mail ship to Aspinwall, Panama, traveled by mule train to Panama City, then boarded another ship for the rest of his journey to California. Twenty-four days after his departure, he arrived in San Francisco. Gaining a job at a bakery, Plummer soon earned enough money to move on to the mining camps of Nevada County, about 150 miles north of San Francisco.


Nevada City, CaliforniaAbout a year after his arrival in California, documents show that he owned a ranch and a mine outside Nevada City, California. Some twelve months later, he traded some of his mining shares for the Empire Bakery in Nevada City. By 1856, the local residents, so impressed by the young man, persuaded him to run for sheriff. At the age of 24, he became marshal of the third largest settlement in California.


The young marshal was well liked by the Nevada City citizens and respected for his promptness and boldness in handling his duties. He easily won the re-election in 1857. 


But, shortly after the election, he killed his first man. At the time, Henry was said to be having an affair with the wife of a miner by the name of John Vedder and when he was confronted by the angry husband, the two competed in a duel, for which, Henry obviously won.


Plummer was arrested and tried in a sensational, emotionally-charged case that went twice to the California Supreme Court before he was finally convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to ten years in California's infamous San Quentin Prison. He began to serve his sentence on February 22, 1859 and local residents quickly petitioned the Governor for a pardon, claiming that Henry had acted in self-defense.


Among his comrades behind bars was Cyrus Skinner, serving time for grand larceny, who would later be connected with Plummer again. Plummer served time only until August 16, 1859 when he was released due to his tuberculosis and pressure on the Governor by the petition.


After his release, Henry returned to Nevada City, to the bakery and became an avid customer to the many brothels of the settlement.


Before long, he was penniless and soon joined a group of bandits intent upon robbing area stage coaches. In one such incident, the stage driver got way with his passengers and cargo, but Plummer was arrested. Standing trial for the attempted robbery, the former sheriff caught a reprieve when he was acquitted due to lack of evidence.


But trouble had begun to follow Plummer around and soon he was caught up in a brawl over a "painted lady” with a man by the name of William Riley. When Henry shot the man on October 27, 1861, he was once again arrested. This time he escaped prison by bribing a jailer before he could be tried and fled for Oregon.




Bannack, Montana

Bannack Montana, Kathy Weiser, July, 2008.


Along the way, he met another bandit by the name of Jim Mayfield, who had alleged killed the sheriff of a neighboring town.


Both were obviously wanted men, and the ex-sheriff sent word to California newspapers that both he and Mayfield had been hanged in Washington. It had the desired effect, curtailing the need for the desperadoes to constantly look over their shoulders for the pursuing posse.


In January, 1862, Plummer landed in Lewiston, Idaho with a woman companion and registered at the Luna House. Working in a casino, he soon ran into his old cellmate, Cyrus Skinner and other individuals destined for the gallows in Montana, such as Club Foot George Lane and Bill Bunton.


Forming a gang, the like-minded men began to rob the local families of the area mining camps, and especially targeted the gold shipments traveling the roads from the mines. Somewhere along the line, Plummer abandoned his mistress, a woman with three children who had to resort to prostitution to feed herself and family, and finally died an alcoholic, in one of the seedier brothels in town.


Plummer began to roam the area between Elk City, Florence and Lewiston. In Orofino, Idaho, he killed a saloon keeper by the name of Patrick Ford. When the saloonkeeper kicked Plummer and some of his friends out of the saloon, Ford then followed them to the stable where he fired upon them. Plummer returned fire and killed Ford. When some of Ford’s friends began to form a lynch mob, Plummer hightailed it out of there and headed east to Montana.


Old Fort Benton, MontanaBy September, 1862, Plummer was beginning to feel the effects of his tuberculosis and wanted to return home. Heading from Idaho across the Bitterroot Mountains, he traveled to Fort Benton with the intention of going back east. Unfortunately, the upper Missouri River at Fort Benton was frozen and closed to Riverboat traffic. Planning to hold over for the winter, Henry went to work as a ranch hand at the Sun River Farm, a government ranch and Indian Agency, in October.

Plummer soon became enamored with Indian Agent James Vail’s beautiful sister-in-law, Electa Bryan. Henry and Electa spent about two months together and were quickly engaged to be married.


A former cohort of Plummer's by the name of Jack Cleveland was also vying for Electa’s attention, which incensed Henry. Nevertheless, both men headed to Bannack, Montana, the most recent site of gold rush fever, in January 1863.


Hastily built to accommodate the many miners flooding to the area, Bannack was called home to all manner of transient men including Civil War deserters from both sides, river pirates, professional gamblers, outlaws and villains. Lawlessness ran rampant as holdups occurred daily, and killings were just as frequent.


Henry soon rounded up another gang, calling themselves the Innocents, and began to relieve the gold-laden travelers from the Montana camps of their valuables. The Innocents grew quickly and became so large that secret handshakes and code words were instituted so one "Innocent" could recognize another.


One night while Henry was drinking in Bannack's Goodrich Saloon, Jack Cleveland, his old nemesis, began to taunt him by making numerous references to Plummer's outlaw activities. When Henry warned him to stop, Cleveland continued to spout his accusations and Plummer fired a warning shot. Cleveland then pulled his own six-gun, but Henry was faster and soon Cleveland lay on the floor, mortally wounded.

Not yet dead, Cleveland was taken to the home of a butcher named Hank Crawford, two doors down from the saloon. Crawford heard Cleveland’s last words as he continued to extol the tale of Plummer's  deceit and corruption. Three hours later, Cleveland was dead and Plummer was arrested. However, Plummer received yet another reprieve when he was acquitted based on witness testimony that Cleveland had threatened him.


Bannack Montana Jail

One of Plummer's first tasks was to build a jail for the growing community.

It still stands today, Kathy Weiser, July, 2008.


By late spring 1863, there were more than 10,000 men hunting for gold along Grasshopper Creek and the lawlessness in Bannack had reached epidemic proportions. The frightened citizens of the settlement decided that the outlaws had to be stopped and advertised for a sheriff. Two men, vowing to corral the outlaws, stepped up to the plate -- Plummer and a butcher named Hank Crawford.

Plummer lost the election to the popular butcher, an event that fired his reckless temper and he went after the new sheriff with a shotgun. However, a friend warned Crawford, who shot Plummer in his right arm, temporarily ruining his gunfighting abilities. Undaunted, Plummer immediately began to practice shooting with his left hand until his accuracy was just as deadly. When Hank Crawford caught wind of this, he turned in his badge and left Bannack, never to return.


In the new election for sheriff, Plummer was made became the leading lawman on May 24, 1863. Plummer was quick to appoint two of his henchmen, Buck Stinson and Ned Ray, as deputies. Unknown to the people of Bannack, Plummer’s group of Innocents had now reached over 100. Having the opposite desired effect for the citizens of Bannack, crime in the town increased dramatically after Plummer was elected. In the next few months, more than 100 citizens were murdered.


On June 20, 1863, Henry and Electa were married and soon settled into their log home in Bannack. However, Electa did not stay long. Less that three months later, she left for her parents home in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. She would never see Henry again.


The Innocents stepped up their efforts at robbing the gold-laden travelers from the Montana camps and helped the Sheriff to punish the "villains” of the community on a gallows that Plummer had erected. However, the few that were hanged on it by Plummer and his men were not members of the Innocents. The Innocents were well organized and said to have killed anyone that might be a witness to their crimes, most of which were easily covered up. Blatant killings went unpunished. Local residents who suspected anything feared for their lives and kept their mouths closed. The ambitious sheriff soon extended his operations to Virginia City when he was appointed Deputy U.S. Marshal for the region of Idaho Territory east of the mountains in August of 1863.


By December, 1863, the citizens of Bannack and Virginia City had had enough. Men from Bannack, Virginia City and nearby Nevada City met secretly and organized the Montana Vigilantes. Masked men began to visit suspected outlaws in the middle of the night issuing warnings and tacking up posters featuring a skull-and-crossbones or the "mystic" numbers "3-7-77." While the meaning of these numbers remains elusive, the Montana State Highway patrolmen wear the emblem "3-7-77" on their shoulder patches today. Interesting.


The vigilantes dispensed rough justice by hanging about twenty-four men. When one such man, by the name of Erastus "Red" Yager, who was about to be hanged, pointed a finger at Henry Plummer as the leader of the gang, all hell broke loose.


The residents were divided on whether or not Henry was part of the murderous gang. But one night after heavy drinking in a local saloon, the vigilantes decided that Henry was guilty and tracked him down. On January 10, 1864 fifty to seventy-five men gathered up Plummer and his two main deputies, Buck Stinson and Ned Ray. The three were marched to those very same gallows that Plummer, himself, had built. Ned Ray was the first hanged, followed by Buck Stinson--both men spewing epithets every step of the way. According to one legend, Plummer promised to tell the vigilantes where $100,000 of gold was buried, if they would let him live. However, the vigilantes ignored this as they gradually hoisted him up by the neck.


After the execution, armed guards stood by the gallows for about an hour. The three bodies were left hanging until the next morning. Plummer's was the only body placed in a wooden coffin and none were buried in the cemetery; but instead all three were buried in shallow graves in Hangman’s Gulch about a hundred yards up from the gallows.


The vigilantes went on to hang the rest of the Road Agents that they could locate, in such locations as Hellgate (Missoula), Cottonwood (Deer Lodge), Fort Owen and Virginia City. 


Bannack Gallows

Sheriff Henry Plummer was hanged from the very gallows that he, himself had built earlier in the year.

This image available for photographic prints and downloads HERE!




Vulnerable to vandalism, legend has it that the grave was broken into on two occasions. The first time, allegedly by the local doctor, who out of curiosity, severed the right arm from the body to search for the bullet that had hit Plummer when he went after Hank Crawford. Reportedly, the doctor found the bullet "worn smooth and polished by the bones turning upon it." The second time it was broken into, it was reportedly by two men around the turn of the century who, after spending several hours in a local bar, decided to dig up the grave. To prove they had done it, they severed the head and carried it back to the Bank Exchange Saloon, where it remained on the back bar for several years, until the building burned, along with all its contents. Yet, another legend states that the skull found its way into the hands of an unnamed doctor who sent the specimen back east to a scientific institution to try to figure out why Plummer was so evil.

Electa learned of her husband’s death in a letter and she always maintained that he was innocent. In fact, in the past several decades many historians, researchers and authors have also questioned whether the tale of Henry Plummer was rightfully told.


Many believe that the whole thing is all a fraud, a story fabricated to cover up the real lawlessness in the Montana Territory - the vigilantes themselves. Many of the early stories, on which the outlaw tale is based, were written by the editor of the Virginia City Newspaper, who was a member of the vigilantes, himself.


Further testimony to support the theory is that the robberies did not cease after the twenty-one men were hanged in January and February of 1864. In fact, after the "Plummer Gang" hangings, the stage robberies showed more evidence of organized criminal activity, more robbers involved in the holdups, and more intelligence passed to the actual robbers.


Having taken control, the vigilantes were ruthless. On one such occasion, in attempting to get the names of the road agents, they looped a noose around the neck of a suspect named "Long John" Franck and repeatedly hoisted him until the poor man gasped out the answers the vigilantes wanted to hear. They did the same to Erastus "Red" Yager who pointed the finger at Henry Plummer as the gang’s leader.


Further, the vigilantes brooked no criticism of their methods. When a preacher’s son named Bill Hunter expressed his outrage by shouting on a mining camp street that pro-vigilantes were "stranglers," his frozen corpse was found three weeks later dangling from the limb of a cottonwood tree.


Bannack, Montana BarnThere is really little evidence connecting Plummer with any crime committed in the Bannack area, other than the "confession" of a criminal attempting to save his own life. Plummer's activities as an outlaw band leader in Lewiston have also been disputed; when evidence was found that he was actually living in California at the time.


Three years after Plummer was killed, the vigilantes virtually ruled the mining districts. Finally, leading citizens of Montana including Territorial Governor Thomas Meagher, began to speak out against the ruthless group.


In March, 1867, the miners issued their own warning that if the vigilantes hanged any more people, the "law abiding citizens" would retaliate "five for one." Though a few more lynchings occurred, it was clear that the era of the vigilantes was past.

As to what happened to Electa -- she ultimately moved to Vermillion, South Dakota, where she married James Maxwell, a widower with two daughters. Electa and James had two sons of their own, Vernon and Clarence. Electa lived until May 5, 1912 and was buried at Wakonda, South Dakota.

The historical town of Bannack, Montana was placed under the protection of Montana's Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks in 1954 and is now called the Bannack State Park.




© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated May, 2017.



Beaverhead County Courthouse, Bannack, Montana, 1963.

The Hotel Meade first served as the Beaverhead County Courthouse in Bannack, Montana.

This image available for photographic prints and downloads HERE!




Also See:


Bannack, Montana - Gold to Ghosts

Bannack Vintage Photo Gallery

Ghost Town Ghost in Bannack, Montana

Henry Plummer by Emerson Hough

Mines of Idaho & Montana

Montana Vigilantes

The Vigilantes of California, Idaho, & Montana


From Legends' General Store

Digital DownloadsLearning Fun - Legends of America has been collecting resources for more than a decade and wish to share with our customers and readers. Teachers, students, homeschoolers, and anyone interested in learning more about history will find a treasure trove of information HERE!

Digital downloads including images, historic articles, mini-posters & maps, coloring pages, E-books and more --- Many of which are FREE! Plus our first new Coloring Book with bits of history thrown in for a fun, relaxing learning experience. From the American Revolution to Route 66, short articles accompany coloring pages for all to enjoy. Book includes 20 detailed coloring pages and 18 historic text pages.


See Here!                          Legends Coloring Book     Digital Downloads     Coloring Pages

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America