Legends of America

Follow the links to the various pages of Legends of America

The Old West Legends of America Outhouse Madness Ghostly Legends Outlaws Old West Saloons Rocky Mountain General Store Legends Photo Store The Book Store Make your travel reservations here! Route 66 Native Americans The Old States - Back East

Legends of America    |    Legends General Store    |    Legends Photo Shop

 

Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter PageLegends on Pinterest

Legends Home

Site Map

What's New!!

 

Content Categories:

American History

Destinations-States

Ghost Stories

Ghost Towns

Historic People

Legends & Myths

Native Americans

Old West

Photo Galleries

Route 66

Travel Center

Treasure Tales

 

   Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Google

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Facebook Page

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Writing Credits

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

 

Legends' General Store


Old West/Western

Route 66

Native American

Featured Items

Sale Items

Books/Magazines

CD's - DVD's

Nuwati Herbals

Personalized-Engraved
Postcards

Wall Art

Custom Products

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legends' Photo Prints

Legends Photo Prints and Downloads
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

States, Cities & Places

Nostalgic Prints

Photo Art Prints

Jim Hinckley's America

David Fisk (Lens of Fisk)

Specials-Gift Ideas

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

Family Friendly Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

California Flag - Golden State Legends IconCALIFORNIA LEGENDS

Francis "Borax" Marion Smith - The Borax King of Death Valley

Bookmark and Share

<< Previous  1 2 3 Next  >>

 

Francis Marion "Borax" Smith (1846-1931) - Known as the "Borax King," and "Frank," Smith was a Death Valley mining magnate and businessman who headed the Pacific Coast Borax Company. Born in Richmond, Wisconsin on February 2, 1846 to Henry G. and Charlotte Paul Smith, Francis attended public schools as a child before graduating from Milton College in Wisconsin.

 

At the age of 21 he left his father's ranch and, answering to the irresistible call of the west, he made his way toward the Pacific, visiting Idaho, California and Nevada, spending considerable time in mining and other work in those states, before settling in Nevada for five years.

 

In the late 1860's, Smith was working under a contract with several ore mills near Columbus, Nevada, locating and getting out timber for the various mining camps. While working at Teel's Marsh, he discovered a rich supply of borax. Collecting samples, he had them assayed, which proved the ore to be higher than any known sources for borax. He soon staked several claims and began his career as a borax miner.

 

Francis "Borax" Smith

Francis "Borax" Smith about 1875.

 

 

 

With the help of his older brother, Julius, and two brothers by the name of Storey, the men established a borax works at the edge of the marsh to concentrate the borax crystals and separate them from dirt and other impurities. Operations began in 1873 under the name, Smith and Storey Brothers Borax Co. Later, the Smiths acquired the Storey brothers' interest and the company name was changed to Smith Brothers Borax Co. and later to the Teel's Marsh Borax Co. The Teel's Marsh deposits soon became the world's principal source of supply and remained so for years, bringing  borax to a wide commercial use around the world.

 

Mollie R. SmithIn 1875, during a national depression, Smith opened a retail store and office at 185 Wall Street in New York City to expand the borax market. His advertising claims that borax would “clean black cashmere, cameos and coral, keep milk and cream sweet” and "prevent diphtheria, lung fever and kidney trouble” may have been exaggerated, but they helped to popularize the cleaning additive in a prime market and in a period when sales were slumping. That same year, Francis married Mary "Mollie" Rebecca Thompson Wright, a divorcee from Brooklyn, New York.

 

In 1877, Smith founded the settlement of Marietta, Nevada, now a semi-ghost town, from which the borax was shipped in a 30-ton load using two large wagons with a third wagon for food and water drawn by a 24-mule team for 160 miles across the Great Basin Desert from Marietta to Wadsworth, Nevada where the nearest Central Pacific Railroad siding was.

 

In 1881, Smith and his wife, Mollie, moved to Oakland, California, where Frank began to invest in real estate, while continuing his operations at Teel's Marsh, Nevada. In 1884, Smith bought out his brother's interest in their partnership and Frank began to turn his eye to potential development in Death Valley. When William T. Coleman , who owned the Harmony and Amargosa Borax Works, the Lila C Mine, the Furnace Creek Ranch, and other properties in Death Valley, California, began to have financial troubles in the late 1880's, Smith provided Coleman with capital in exchange for mortgages on the property.

 

In 1889, to expand the processing of raw minerals that formed the borax product, Smith worked with renowned engineer and reinforced concrete innovator Ernest L. Ransome, to design two new refineries for him -- one in West Alameda, California, and the other in Bayonne, New Jersey. The California refinery was was recognized for being the first structure of its kind to be built with reinforced concrete.

 

BoraxoUnfortunately for William T. Coleman, his empire collapsed and Smith gained all his properties in 1890. The name of Smith's properties then became the Pacific Coast Borax Company. Smith ceased operations at the Harmony and Amargosa Borax Works in order to focus on mining operations at Borate, California in the Calico Mountains. Initially the ore was hand sorted at the mine, and hauled to Daggett, California using the 20 mule teams and wagons that William T. Coleman had first used in Death Valley.
 

In 1891, Stephen Mather, the administrator of the company's New York office, persuaded Smith to add the name 20 Mule Team Borax to go with the famous sketch of the mule team already on the box. The trademark would be registered three years later. Mather would go on to own the Thorkildsen-Mather Borax Company, and in 1916, was appointed the first Director of the new National Park Service.

 

While Frank was busy with his borax interests, his wife was busy with charity work -- especially working hard for aid and assistance for orphaned girls. Mollie, after a tragic miscarriage, could never have children of her own, but she yearned for them. Raising money for their assistance, the couple also took in a number of young girls as wards over the years. In 1883, they had adopted an infant girl, who they named Marion Francis Smith. Ten years later, they would take in two young teenagers named Anna Mae and Sarah Winifred Burdge. While there were many others they looked after, these three would become part of the "Solid Six," as Frank affectionately called them. Over the years, Mollie's contributions and assistance to these many girls would continue.

 

The Smith's Presdeleau estate on Shelter Island in New York.

The Smith's Presdeleau estate on Shelter Island in New York.

Unfortunately the mansion was razed in 1938.

 

In 1892, Frank and Mollie went east to Shelter Island, New York, to find a place to build a summer home. This was probably for two reasons, the first of which was that New York was Mollie's original home; and the second, Shelter Island was also the place where his friend, and soon-to-be partner, Frank Havens, already had a summer home. Before they left New York, they had purchased a 42 acre homestead, which already included a colonial style home. Frank then hired an architect to add to the original home, which would eventually feature 35 rooms. He also added significant acreage over the years until the estate sat in the midst of some 435 acres. They called their new summer retreat “Presdeleau.” Over the next several years, Frank would continue to buy more property in the area, adding to the estate.

 

Convinced there was a more efficient and profitable way to haul the ore from the mines to the railhead at Daggett, Frank began to experiment with a steam tractor called "Old Dinah" in 1894. Unfortunately, due to the roads from the mines, the experiment failed and he would continue to utilize the 20-mule teams for the next several years.

 

In the meantime, Smith had also been investing heavily in real estate and public transit in Oakland. He, along with partner, Frank Havens formed the Realty Syndicate in 1895 buying area real estate, as well as acquiring and consolidating a number of small, independent transit companies to create an integrated system of streetcar lines and rail extensions to a number of subdivisions the company was developing.

 

 

Continued Next Page

<< Previous  1 2 3 Next  >>

Old West and Cowboy Bumper Stickers - Great Old West and Cowboy bumper stickers for yourself or for your friends. Made of durable vinyl and measuring a generous 10" x 3" these stickers are made for adding style to any surface. Printed using UV resistant inks means no fading in the sun or bleeding in the rain.

       

 

                                                            Copyright © 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com