Legends Of America
Since 2003
Why am I seeing the old web design?

Legends of America

 

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Kansas - Legends of Ahs IconKANSAS LEGENDS

Osage County Santa Fe Trail

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

Osage County, Kansas Map, 1899Osage County

 

After leaving Douglas County, travelers moved on into north Osage County, past the present-day towns of Overbrook, Scranton, and Burlingame. Along this westerly course of 25 miles, the trail dropped only one mile to the south, closely following what is Highway 56 today.

 

Rock Creek Springs-Walton, Osage County

 

About 1 1⁄2 miles east of Overbrook, the first stop for many was a place called Rock Creek Springs #1. This was a campground and a watering stop that, at one time, also boasted a blacksmith shop, general store, inn and post office.

 

A man by the name of Daniel Walters first settled on the S. E. 1/4 Sec. 4 T. 15 R. 17, that was later owned owned by V. C. Bryson, and still called by some today, the "Old Bryson Farm". Walters erected a large stone store and hotel building, which held the post office, established in October, 1858. He also built himself a two story house with a basement. Though he called his "settlement" and post office "Walton", it continued to be known by Santa Fe Trail travelers, as Rock Spring No. 1.


Dan Walters was a sort of "Jack of all Trades" -- a shoe maker, a stone mason and a farmer. Though known as a hard worker, the bills for his labor and material overcame him and he fell behind. Making matters worse, was an ongoing dispute with Walters' neighbors, two pro-slavery men by the names of Lee and William Daughterty. Rock Springs, the old and noted watering place, was about 300 yards west of Walters' store and hotel. Its location was very close to his boundary line and his neighbors who were endeavoring to have the line surveyed, in hopes the spring was on their land, rather than on Walters. The dispute continued until Lee Daughterty had Walters arrested for passing a counterfeit half dollar on him -- even accusing Walters of manufacturing the spurious coin. Walters was taken off to the Olathe, Kansas jail, where he was held for several weeks. When trial date came there was no evidence against him and he was discharged. In the meantime, a man named Walter Jennerson was deputized assistant post master in place of Dan Walters. When Mr. Walters was released from jail, he packed up his household effects, took his family and removed to Colorado, thoroughly disgusted with Kansas.

 

In May, 1863, a Confederate Guerilla named   left Missouri on the Santa Fe Trail, crossed over into Kansas, and on the 4th encamped near Council Grove. That night he raided the little village of Diamond Springs, where he killed one man and wounded a woman. On the return trip he stopped at Rock Springs, where he  met and killed George N. Savin, a soldier of Company K, Eleventh Kansas, who had been at his home in Pottawatomie County on furlough and was on his way to rejoin his regiment. Seven miles farther on, Yeager's men shot and seriously wounded David Hubbard at his Stage Station in Globe, Kansas, then passed through Baldwin and Black Jack, where they robbed the stage, before returning to Missouri, via Gardner.

 

The Walton post office continued until June, 1864, when it closed its doors forever. Today there is nothing left of this historic spot on the Santa Fe Trail.

 

Overbrook

 

From Rock Creek Springs, the Santa Fe Trail continued west to where the Overbrook Cemetery stands today. Faint outlines of ruts can be seen going toward the school building. Near the 200 block of Ash, in Overbrook, was a spring used for a watering stop. The Trail then ran due west through Overbrook down the present Santa Fe Trail Street. At Sycamore Street it veered to the north a bit and continued through what is now the Brookside Manor Nursing Home. The Santa Fe Trail then turned north where the old railroad bridge is located on Highway 56 west of Overbrook. Just west of the bridge north of the highway, can be seen a windmill. The spring located here was called Flag Spring or Santa Fe Spring.

 

 

 

Overbrook, Kansas MuralAbout four miles west of Overbrook was a place called Boneyard. Here, a wagon train of traders was caught in a blizzard. They were trying to make it back to Westport (Kansas City), Missouri. The men were able to walk to the safety of 110-Mile Crossing, but the oxen perished in the storm. For years, wagons going and coming on the trail used the bleached bones as a marker.

 

Just south of the intersection of Highways 56 and 75, another DAR marker is located. About 1⁄2 mile west of the marker was the 110 Mile Crossing. It was so named because, according to the survey of 1825, it was 110 miles from the start of the Trail in Missouri.

 

110 Mile Creek/Crossing

 

Originally called Jones Creek, the creek was renamed for its distance from Fort Osage, Missouri, as measured by the expedition dispatched to survey the Santa Fe Trail in 1825-1827. In July, 1854, all that portion of the Shawnee Reserve down to the Sac and Fox reserve had been declared open to settlement. That summer, a man named Fry P. McGee stopped at 110 Mile Creek on a return trip from Oregon. There, he found three families of mixed-blood Shawnee Indians, engaged in farming. On August 2, McGee and his brother Mobillion purchased the crossing site from the two white men who had married Shawnee Indian women.

 

Soon after the land was acquired, Fry McGee's wife, Martha Booth McGee, and two daughters joined him at the crossing where they occupied the log buildings constructed by the original owners. Here, McGee provided bed and board for Santa Fe Trail travelers. Additional income came from a toll bridge built over the creek. Records show that the crossing charge was 25 cents per wagon and that some days, as much as $30.00 was collected.  Here intersected the Santa Fe Trail going west, the Fort Scott Road from the southeast, the 110 Mile road going north, and a segment of the Mormon Trail that ran northwest to Fort Riley.

 

The McGees, being very influential southerners, who were previously living in Westport (Kansas City), Missouri immediately began to induce more southerners to settle on the headwaters of the Osage River, although it was rather isolated from other pro-slavery settlements. Becoming the local headquarters for proslavery sentiment, Fry McGee was its outspoken advocate. His "station" also became a local voting place.

 

In the meantime, Fry's brother Mobillion, also made a claim near the mouth of Switzler Creek, though he continued to make his home in Westport. Another pro-slavery man named C.M. Linkenauger also made a claim nearby, and the wealthy and well connected McGees persuaded more Missourians to make claims in the area in a move to hold the new Kansas Territory for slavery. Fry McGee's girls had slave servants in their home, and a neighbor kept some 20 or more slaves working a farm nearby, despite the fact that Council City (Burlingame), just 8 miles away, was known as a strong Free State colony.

 

 

Continued Next Page

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Western and Saloon Style DecorWestern & Saloon Style Decor - With Legends' fascination with the Old West and all things historic, we love decorating in a Western style and we know that many of you do too. To help with providing the perfect ambiance, we carry a number of items including Vintage Photographs, Nostalgic Tin Signs, Wild West Photo Art, economical Old West and Outlaw Wanted posters, Glassware and Tools for your bar, Saloon Style Wall Art, and lots more.

 

 

Vintage Old West Photo Prints

Photo Prints
 Old West Fine Art and Canvas Prints Canvas Prints

Old West Posters and Prints

Posters

Saloon Style Photo Prints Saloon Style Photos Old West Books Books
 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Photo Blog     Writing Credits     

Copyright 2003-Present, Legends of America