Pearce was also the first of the three towns to get its start when a man named Jimmie Pearce discovered gold. He wasn’t even looking for it! In fact, Jimmie, who had been a miner in Tombstone, along with running a boarding house with his wife, had decided to retire from the mining business. After carefully saving their money, they purchased some ranch land in the Sulphur Springs Valley northeast of Tombstone and settled down to the ranching life along with their three children.
But, it wouldn’t be for long. In 1894, while out on his ranch, he found gold just lying on the side of a hill. He wasted no time taking it to Tombstone to be assayed and was heartened to hear it showed a high ore content of both gold and silver. All five members of the family immediately began to file mining claims on their land and Jimmie Pearce was back in the mining business; albeit as an owner rather than an employee. He called his new mine the Commonwealth and when word spread of his find, the area flooded with new residents.
Jimmie Pearce; however, didn’t stay in the business long. He sold the Commonwealth Mine for $250,000 to a man named John Brockman. But, his wife, remembering some of the hard times they had through in the past, insisted on a clause in the contract that guaranteed her the right to run a boardinghouse beside the mine.
A post office opened in March, 1896, and soon dozens of other businesses followed, including the Soto Brothers & Renaud General Store, which still stands today. Listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings, the old structure has been lovingly restored, providing an extremely accurate view of the past. Though the store is not open for business, stopping for a photo opportunity is a must.
Peak production of the Commonwealth Mine was realized quickly in 1896, but, it would continue to operate for years. Other businesses included a school, hotels, several saloons, and a motion-picture theater. Many of the town’s early buildings were actually transported over the mountains from Tombstone. The population of Pearce increased to some 1500 residents.
Like other mining towns, Pearce was not always a peaceful place, as miners and cowboys made their way to the new boom town. Though never as lawless as Tombstone, Pearce needed a constable and in 1896 hired George Bravin, who in turn, hired a tough deputy named Burton Alvord. At that time, Alvord still had a reputation as a fearless lawman. Later Alvord would join up with Billy Stiles and the two would form the Alvord-Stiles Gang, robbing trains throughout Arizona Territory and often using Pearce as their headquarters. But, in 1896, Alvord had not yet begun his crime spree and after working as a Pearce deputy for about six months, Bravin decided that there was no longer a need for the toughened lawman and Alvord moved on the Willcox. There, Alvord would gain a reputation as a killer and by the turn of the century would be robbing trains.
Ironically, George Bravin, who by 1900, had moved to Tombstone as a lawman, would again come face to face with Burt Alvord inside his own jail. There, Billy Stiles would help Alvord to escape and in the resulting melee would shoot of two of Bravin’s toes.
Meantime, back in Pearce, the new Commonwealth mine owner, John Brockman built a 200-stamp mill. With the rampant thievery going on throughout the territory, the mine deliberately formed their gold bars to heavy that they could not be carried out on horseback. The stamp mill burned to the ground in 1900; however, business was so good that they soon built another. Brockman continued to operate the mine for two more years until he sold it in 1902. In 1904, a cave-in caused the mine to temporarily shut down. But, the shut-down was brief and the following year, a cyanide plant was erected and another fortune was made extracting the tailings.
The Great Depression took its toll and in the early 1930’s the mine closed and the railroad pulled up its tracks. Over the years, the Commonwealth Mine was one of the richest in Arizona, producing over 15 million dollars in Gold.
In the meantime, Pearce became a ghost town. Though just a few residents remain in the area and the vast majority of its buildings are gone, Pearce amazingly hangs on. The old post office, decommissioned in the late 1960’s is now a private residence. The historic general store will be re-opening in the Fall of 2007. Another business, Old Pearce Pottery, operates out of another historic building. The area is seeing rejuvenation as retirees and others are attracted to the climate and are buying real estate. In fact, for the real estate investor with deep pockets, even the Commonwealth Mine is for sale as of this writing, for a mere 13.5 million dollars.
A number of other remains from the past can be seen including a school, the old jail, several ruins and foundations and the Pearce cemetery west of town on Middlemarch Road. This historic path crosses the Dragoon Mountains into Tombstone, for those looking for a more adventurous trek. The old road once was commonly used by soldiers moving between Fort Bowie and Fort Huachuca in the 1870s and 1880s.
To access the Ghost Town Trail from Tombstone, take the well-marked turnoff for Gleeson Road heading east and follow for about 15 miles to Gleeson. A mile beyond Gleeson, turn left onto Ghost Town Trail and continue to Courtland and Pearce. Drive northwest from Pearce to reconnect with Interstate 10. Some of the route is unpaved but suitable for passenger cars.