The spectral cat has
been seen a number of times by both staff and guests, who often stoop
to pick her up. However, before they get the chance, it vanishes. The
cat has also been known to brush up against people, especially in the
kitchen and restaurant and its paw prints have been seen on the made
up beds. Visitors to the inn have also reported hearing the cat’s meow
and the sound of a cat sharpening its claws. The cat is thought to
have been Madam Jennie’s pampered pet.
An elderly gentleman
is also said to roam about the inn. A friendly apparition, he has been
seen dressed in vintage work clothes and a felt hat, looking down at
the alley from the window in the "Pillow Talk” room. In this room he
also reported leaves his indentation on the bed. Also blamed on this
old man are wall hanging and pictures that are often rearranged or
placed in the armoire in the "Kiss and Tell” room. The armoire doors
here also have been known to open and close of their own accord.
Another younger man, who isn’t so friendly, evidently loves to startle
guests and staff alike. Though he doesn’t hurt anyone, he allegedly
loves to blow cold winds through guest rooms and has been known to
appear as a shadowing figure in the Victorian Rose Room as well as in
the restaurant. The hazy figure is seen wearing a grumpy look of
disapproval on his face.
Other phenomena includes locked doors that open and close by
themselves, furniture that is mysteriously rearranged, utensils that
fly off their resting places in the kitchen, cold winds blowing
through the rooms, and a statue that turns itself around. In the
Victorian Rose Room, the smell of roses or perfume is often detected
and the water faucets tend to turn on and off of their own accord.
The most active place
in the building is probably the restaurant and kitchen. Here,
whistling is often heard in the bar area, metal signs have flown off
the wall, glasses slide off tables with a crash, a woman has been
heard singing, and electrical devices seemingly have a mind of their
own, turning on and off at will.
Today, the Inn at
Jerome includes eight guest rooms, that
have been remodeled and designed in their original Victorian style.
Located in the heart of historic Jerome,
the Inn also provides a restaurant and bar.
309 Main Street
P.O. Box 901
Just down the street
is another haunted hotel – the Connor. First built by David Connor,
"Connor’s Corner” was erected in 1897 by David Connor. The Three story
brick hotel offered 20 guest rooms as well as a
rooms and billiards on the first floor. Built before the law required
buildings to constructed of brick or stone, most folks thought Connor
a bit daft at the expense he put into the hotel, which included stone
quarried nearby for the foundations and brick shipped in from
Built with the more affluent citizens and travelers in mind, the
first-class hotel rented for $1.00 per night. But the Connor would be
plagued with a colorful future including several fires over the next
Though immediately successful, Connor’s Corner would see its first
tragedy in just little more than a year, when it was destroyed by fire
in September, 1898. But David Connor also had the foresight to have
bought insurance on his property. Only one of two business owners in
town to carry insurance, he was paid $14,500 for his losses and
Over the next several
would see more fires and the Connor Hotel would again be damaged, only
to be rebuilt with insurance money again and again. Because of its
stone structure in a mining camp filled with wooden buildings and
canvas tents, it was sometimes credited with saving the downtown
district from burning entirely.
When the Connor Hotel
reopened in August, 1899, it quickly became known as one of the finest
hotels in the West, having a number of amenities unheard of in many
hotels of the time, including full electricity, a call bell in each
room for service, and its own bus for delivering guests to and from
the train depot.
During the city’s
thriving mining days of the early 20th century, the hotel prospered,
often being filled to capacity. However,
Jerome's mining prosperity was not to last and as the fortunes of
the mines waned, so did the Connor Hotel’s. By 1931, it had closed. By
that time, the building had passed to David Connor’s son, who
continued to rent out the ground floor for commercial businesses, but
the upstairs hotel rooms sat vacant.
When the mines closed
in the 1950’s,
Jerome became a
ghost town and
the vast majority of the buildings sat abandoned and neglected.
However, in the late 1960’s, new residents, enchanted with the old
town, began to move in once again. It soon developed into an artists’
community and tourist destination. The old hotel opened up once again,
providing ten larger rooms instead of twenty. However, it was not the
luxury hotel of its past, but more of a "low-budget” hotel.
In the 1980’s it closed again due to safety violations and remained
empty up until the 21st century. However, in 2000, the current owners
began to renovate the hotel, bringing it up to required safety
standards and renovating the rooms to their historic splendor, while
providing modern amenities.
Visitors today can enjoy not only a wonderful blends of the past and
present, but by some accounts, perhaps a spectral
ghost or two.
In Room 1, a tale
circulates that the first guest to ever stay in the hotel was it’s
electrician, who was frightened by whispers and the sounds of women
laughing in the room. Later, he felt cold chills in the room and spent
the rest of the night sleeping in his van. Since that time, other
strange events have been reported including the armoire doors opening
of their own volition and odd images appearing in photographs.
In Room 2, it is said
that objects tend to move around of their own accord, including
furnishings and small guest items. In Room 4, guests and staff have
reported hearing the growl of a dog and an old man coughing.
Who these lingering
souls might be remains a mystery.
164 Main Street
928-634-5006 or 800-523-3554
Continued Next Page