Situated just a few miles
east of Atlantic City,
Wyoming, are the crumbling ruins of the old mining camp of Miners
Delight. The town got its start at about the same time as its sister
mining camps of Atlantic City
and South Pass City.
Gold was first discovered here in Spring Gulch in 1867 and within no time,
a mining camp sprang up that was named Hamilton City. However, because the
largest and most productive mine, located on Peabody Hill, was called
Miners Delight, most people called the town by the same name.
The large mine was
founded by Jonathan Pugh, and before long, the town’s name was officially
changed to Miners Delight. The mine was initially rich enough that a
10-stamp mill was erected to crush the rock.
The first mention
of the town in newspapers appeared in July, 1868 with the Sweetwater
Mines newspaper describing it as: