Legends of America

Follow the links to the various pages of Legends of America

The Old West Legends of America Outhouse Madness Ghostly Legends Outlaws Old West Saloons Rocky Mountain General Store Legends Photo Store The Book Store Make your travel reservations here! Route 66 Native Americans The Old States - Back East

Legends of America    |    Legends General Store    |    Legends Photo Shop

 

Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter PageLegends on Pinterest

Legends Home

Site Map

What's New!!

 

Content Categories:

American History

Destinations-States

Ghost Stories

Ghost Towns

Historic People

Legends & Myths

Native Americans

Old West

Photo Galleries

Route 66

Travel Center

Treasure Tales

 

   Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Google

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Facebook Page

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Writing Credits

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

 

Legends' General Store


Old West/Western

Route 66

Native American

Featured Items

Sale Items

Books/Magazines

CD's - DVD's

Nuwati Herbals

Personalized-Engraved
Postcards

Wall Art

Custom Products

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legends' Photo Prints

Legends Photo Prints and Downloads
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

States, Cities & Places

Nostalgic Prints

Photo Art Prints

Jim Hinckley's America

David Fisk (Lens of Fisk)

Specials-Gift Ideas

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

Family Friendly Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wyoming FlagWYOMING LEGENDS

Ghostly Legends of Cheyenne

 

 Legends of America's Exclusive Custom Products

 

  Bookmark and Share

 

Cheyenne got its start in July, 1867, when General Grenville M. Dodge and his survey crew platted the site now known as Cheyenne, Wyoming in anticipation of the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad through the territory. By the time the first track was built some four months later, 4,000 people had already migrated to the new city. The railroaders and first settlers were quickly joined by gamblers, saloon owners, thieves, opportunists, prostitutes, miners and cowboys, as well as legitimate business men. The fledgling city, busting at the seams, was a wild and lawless place during its first days so it should come as no surprise that it is said to be one of the most haunted places in Wyoming. In the days preceding Halloween, a Cheyenne Trolley offers two tours per night for ghost hunters hungry for the tales. Here are but a few of the legends we've picked up along the way.

 

Cheyenne, Wyoming, 1868.

Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1868.

This image available for photographic prints and

 downloads HERE!

Atlas Theatre in Cheyenne, WyomingAtlas Theatre Built in 1887, this three story building originally held a confectionary shop on the lower level and the upper floors were utilized as office space. However, in 1907, architect William Dubois was hired to convert the first floor into a theatre. The next year, the Atlas Theatre opened and continued to operate until 1929. Closed for a couple of months, it was then reopened as the Strand. By the mid 1950’s, the building sat abandoned until 1961, when it reopened as the Pink Pony night club. Remaining open for only two short years, the building again sat idle until in 1966, when the Cheyenne Little Theatre Players began to use the Atlas for live theater productions. In 1971, the theater company purchased the Atlas, and two years later it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Though little is known about them, the historic theatre is said to be called home to two active ghosts. The Atlas Theatre building is located at 211 W. 16th Street.

 

Deming Elementary School – Built in 1945, the school is allegedly haunted by a man he was killed in the furnace room years ago. At night lights are said to be seen flickering in the building and clanking noises are heard.   Legend also has it that if you look into a window at night, you will not only see your own shadow, but another next to it that is seemingly cast by an unknown entity. The school is located at 715 West 5th Avenue.

Francis E. Warren Air Force Base Located three miles west of Cheyenne, this Air Force base was first established as
Fort D.A. Russell in 1867. Named in honor of Civil War Brigadier General David A. Russell, it is the oldest continuously active military installation in the Air Force. Over the years it served the U.S. Army and Cavalry in protecting the frontier and served through the Spanish-American War, and both World Wars. In 1949, 80 years after its founding, the fort became Francis E. Warren Air Force Base. Today, the base is home to the 90th Space Wing and Headquarters and is one of four strategic missile bases in the United States. Though modern facilities make up the base today, many of the historic structures still remain. Along with these old buildings, legends are told that many of the old cavalry soldiers also continue to linger, often seen walking upon the grounds or in the dormitories. Another story tells of a spirit that is said to harass female members of the security teams. Civilians are only allowed on base during periodic public tours or if "sponsored” by military personnel.

 

 

 

The Plains Hotel - In the late 1800’s the City of Cheyenne, Wyoming was called "The Magic City of the Plains,” so it was only appropriate when a luxurious hotel opened in 1911, it called itself the "Plains Hotel.” The concept of the elegant hotel was born at the annual $1 dinner of the Industrial Club (now the Chamber of Commerce) in December, 1909.

 

When a newly married couple checked in here years ago, the bride caught her groom with another woman and after killing them both, she turned the gun upon herself. All three are said to haunt this historic hotel. To see the full story, click HERE.

 

Plains Hotel, Cheyenne, Wyoming

Plains Hotel vintage postcard

 

St. Mark's Episcopal Church Cheyenne’s Episcopal congregation first held services in a small frame church in 1868. However, by 1886, the congregation, made up of a number of cattle barons and large ranchers, had begun to outgrow the small building and plans were made to construct a new one. However, the winter of 1886-87 with a very bad one and blizzards and severe cold killed many of the cattle. Without the prosperity of the ranchers, it would be more than two more years before the building was ready to hold services. Opened in 1888, it was still not entirely complete as the bell tower was not done and was simply capped off.

It would be years before the bell tower was finally completed in 1924. Skilled in old world masonry, two Swedish men were hired to complete the tower. However, when it was forty feet high, the two masons simply disappeared. When new workers were hired they immediately began to complain of hearing strange tappings, the sounds of hammering, and whispers coming from the very walls of the tower.

Years later, a man came forward explaining that when the original masons were working on the tower, one of them slipped and fell to his death. The other, panicked that he would be deported, entombed the man’s remains in the tower wall.

Though no longer the case, the church once allowed public tours of the tower around Halloween. A psychic who visited during this time reported sensing two spirits in the tower – one of whom was very upset, and the other, an elderly white-haired man who walked with a cane. The two spirits are thought to be the mason that fell to his death, and Father Rafter, who had hired the men.

 

Over the years, many people have claimed to have heard a church pipe organ, that was once located in the bell tower, even after it was removed from the building. Others have reported that the church bells have often been known to ring of their own accord, and allegedly whispers can still be heard within the church. The church is located at 1908 Central Avenue.


 

© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated February, 2009.

 

St. Mark's Episcopal Church

St. Mark's Episcopal Church, before the bell tower was completed.

 

Fort Russell, Cheyenne, Wyoming

Before it became Warren Air Force Base, the military

installation spent more than eight years as Fort D.A. Russell.

 

Also See:

Ghosts of the Plains Hotel

 

Legends of America Lodging

Book your lodging in Cheyenne right HERE!

 

From Legends' General Store

Ghost and Mystery BooksGhost & Mystery Books - Legends of America and the Legends' General Store has collected a number of Ghost & Mystery books for our ghost hunting enthusiasts. For many of these, we have only one available. To see this varied collection, click HERE!

         

 

                                                            Copyright © 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com