Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA
 
 

Arizona Flag - Legends of the High Desert IconARIZONA LEGENDS

Fort Defiance - Watching the Navajo

 

Buy Photo Prints - Native Americans, Old West, Route 66, & More

 

Bookmark and Share

 

Fort Defiance (1851-1861) – Established in the Fall of 1851 by troops led by Colonel Edwin V. Sumner, the post was the first to be established in within the Mexican Cession (1848) in what would become Arizona Territory. After the failure of several treaties with the restive Navajo, the fort’s purpose was to "control” the restive Navajo. The sold and log fort was situated on land that had great value to the Navajo, which naturally made the indigenous people immediately angry, especially when the U.S. Army restricted Navajo horses and sheep to graze on the land surrounding the fort.

 

Though not happy about the fort’s location, the Navajo accepted the situation and initially got along with the troops. Traditional among the Navajo was often holding horse races and they soon began to include the fort in their events, competing against the soldiers.

 

Fort Defiance, Arizona

Fort Defiance, Seth Eastman, 1873

 

However, this changed in 1856, when a U.S. soldier tripped a Navajo horse during one of the races. Accusing the soldiers of cheating, the Indians were incensed and as the troops began to back into the fort, they opened fire, killing about 30 Navajo. This event instigated a wave of intermittent attacks and skirmishes that would last until 1863.

On the morning of April 30, 1860, more than 1,000 Navajo warriors under the combined leadership of Manuelito and Barboncito, attacked the fort, nearly succeeding in overrunning the garrison before being repulsed. However, the garrison of about 150 soldiers of the First U.S. Infantry, under Captain O.L. Shepherd, was able to drive them off. In the end, one soldier was killed, and three others wounded. The Navajo faired worse, with around 20 of them killed.

When the Civil War broke out, Fort Defiance was abandoned in favor of Fort Fauntleroy (later Fort Wingate) in 1861. However, when the Navajo continued to raid settlements, Brigadier General James H. Carleton ordered Kit Carson to solve the Navajo problem, by removing them from their native lands and forcing them to relocate to the Bosque Redondo at Fort Sumner, New Mexico. Carson; however, did not agree with Carleton’s tactics and tendered his resignation in February, 1863. But, Carleton refused to accept the resignation and ordered Carson to make war on the Navajo Indian tribes, destroying their fields, orchards, houses, and livestock. During this time, Carson and his men occupied Fort Defiance, which often served as a "concentration camp,” for the captured Navajo.

In the end, the Navajo were defeated and in the spring of 1864, some 8,000 men, women and children were forced to make the 300 mile trek to the Bosque Redondo, known as the Long Walk of the Navajo. As many as 300 died along the way, and many more during the next four years of their imprisonment. In the meantime, Fort Defiance was once again abandoned and most of it was destroyed by the few remaining renegade Indians who had not been captured.

 

In 1868, the government finally agreed that the Bosque Redondo reservation was unsuccessful and the Navajo were allowed to return to their homelands, though their territory had been much reduced. Fort Defiance was then selected as the site for the Navajo Indian Agency. The buildings were then repaired and the development of the agency began.

 

The first school was established in 1870 in one of the abandoned adobe buildings, but was short lived. A mission, established the following year, also failed. Services for the Indians was slow and haphazard over the next decade, with medical service not beginning until 1880 and a Indian Boarding School established in 1883.

 

 

 

Officers; quarters at Fort Defiance, Arizona, Simeon

 Schwemberger, 1905.

This image available for photographic prints  and downloads HERE!

 

The Indian Agency also "serviced” the Hopi Indians until 1899, when a separate agency was established. Over the next decade four new agencies were set up to cover the large area of  Navajo country. In 1936, the agencies were centralized at Window Rock, Arizona, which would later become the Capitol of the Navajo Nation.

 

The town of Fort Defiance, which grew up around the old fort now supports about 4,000 people. A Navajo tribal school and hospital occupy the old fort site. Fort Defiance is located at the mouth of Canyon Bonito in Apache County, about seven miles north of Window Rock, Arizona.

 

 

© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated August, 2011.

 

 From Legends' General Store

Legends Exclusive Custom Products - Legends of America and Legends' General Store now provide a number of exclusive products that you won't find anywhere else! At our Exclusive Custom Products Store, you'll find lots of crazy bumper stickers; Old West prints, postcards, t-shirts and more; and our line of exclusive Route 66 products provides images on a number of items that you've never seen before! Click HERE to see the entire line.

 

Old West and cowboy products Old West custom products Route 66 Custom Products Old west prints, cards and calendars
 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Links     Site Map     Writing Credits      Copyright © 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com