Rowley, Massachusetts, located Essex County, was first settled in the spring of 1639 as a plantation by Reverend Ezekiel Rogers.
As more people came to the area, the town of Rowley was incorporated the following spring, which at that time also included portions of modern-day Byfield, Georgetown, and Haverhill. The town was named after Rowley, Yorkshire, England where Rogers had served as pastor for 20 years before coming to the United States.
That first year, a church was built and the Reverend Rogers became its pastor in December. In the early 1640s, two mills were built and the town soon became known for its hemp, flax, and cotton cloth. In 1642, a Keystone arch bridge and a dam were built on the Mill River. The first stone arch bridge in North America, it was constructed entirely of hand-chiseled granite and contained no mortar. It was rebuilt in the mid 19th Century. In 1669, a sawmill was established, which is still in business today. Duing this time, agriculture and livestock were the focus of the economy and was known for growing hemp and flax cloth, as well as cotton.
In 1675, the westerly section of the Rowley, known as the “Merrimack Lands,” or “Rowley Village by Merrimack,” which began to be settled in about 1650, was incorporated as a separate town called Bradford. By 1680, Rowley was called home to about 129 families. In 1685, the southwestern section of the town, long known as “Rowley Village,” was incorporated as the town of Boxford. In 1689, several Rowley men were ordered to the defense of Haverhill and Dover against the Indians; but, it is not known that any of them were slain. In 1690, when Sir William Phips led an expedition against Quebec during King Phillip’s War, Rowley furnished one captain, Philip Nelson, one lieutenant, and thirty other men. Of these, John Bailey and Moses Wood died on their way to Canada.
When the witch hysteria broke out, Rowley had its share of accused including John Howard, John Jackson, Sr., John Jackson, Jr., who were thought to have been related to Elizabeth Jackson Howe of Topsfield, who had been found guilty and hanged July 19, 1692. Also accused was Mary Post, who was the daughter of Mary Tyler Post Bridges, of Andover, who had also been accused of witchcraft. But, Rowley’s saddest loss was Margaret Stevenson Scott, an impoverished woman in her 70’s, who was hanged on September 22, 1692.
A month later, Rowley would see more turmoil on October 23rd, when Rowley suffered its only Indian raid. In what was then called Byfield Parish, and now called Georgetown, Benjamin Goodrich, his wife, and two of his daughters were killed by the Indians. Another daughter named Deborah, aged seven, was taken captive but redeemed at the expense of the province the next year.
In 1731, part of the town called “New Rowley,” now Georgetown, was incorporated as the Second Parish and a church was organized the next year.
A post office was established in 1804, and James Smith was appointed as the first postmaster. For the War of 1812 the town furnished 31 men.
Before long, tanning and the manufacture of boots and shoes was prevalent in the community and a bank was established in 1836. A Baptist Church was organized in November 1839.
A military company, called Poor’s Rifle Guards led Captain J. Scott Todd was organized in July 1855. A decade later, the town furnished its full quota of men for the Civil War and evinced the same patriotic spirit as in the old Revolutionary War.
During the year ending May 1, 1865, Rowley manufactured 5,650 pairs of boots and 26,310 pairs of shoes with the factory employing 76 people. The number of bushels of shell-fish taken was 7,304, valued at $3,527, and the number of hands employed six months in the business was 15. There were 132 farms, embracing 10,085 acres, and employing 159 people. The gallons of milk sold was 7,273, valued at $1,306.20. The woodland was estimated at 2,000 acres; and the number of apple-trees cultivated for their fruit was 11,568; of pear-trees, 756. A carriage factory was built in 1868 by Moses E. Daniels.
At the start of the 20th century, the town continued to boast a booming shoe industry as well as successful boat building businesses.
Today, this small town of about 6,300 people is filled with colonial homes, mixed with later architectural styles.
The Salem Witchcraft Hysteria (main article)