Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA  

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Utah FlagUTAH LEGENDS

Kenilworth - A Still Occupied Mining Camp

Bookmark and Share
 

 

Though Kenilworth, Utah is not quite a ghost town, still sporting a population of about 180 people, as well as a post office, it isn't what it once was during its coal mining hey days. Like most other Carbon County towns, Kenilworth got its start when coal was discovered in the area in 1904. In the spring of that year, a Spring Glen, Utahresident named Heber J. Stowell was searching for stray horses in the mountains to the northeast of his home when he spied large outcroppings of coal. He soon showed some samples to his friend, Wade H. Lawley of Price, and the two men began prospecting. After discovering three workable coal beds, the pair began mining operations just northeast of present-day Kenilworth. However, the access was difficult, so the operations were moved farther up the mountain. The pair soon gained the interest of two investors -- James Wade of Price, and Fred Sweet of Salt Lake City.

 

Stowell built a wagon road to the workings and hauled water from the Price River. Eventually, a steep tram was built to the entrance of the mine. By February, 1906 there were 16 men working in the mine, which was known as the Wade-Lawley prospect. Before long, there were others starting operations in the vicinity. Stowell and Lawley called their organization the Western Coal and Coke Company.

 

 

 

Independent Coal & Coke Company Remains, Kenilworth, Utah

The Independent Coal & Coke Company Remains before they were torn down. This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

 

 

In late December, 1906, the Independent Coal & Coke Company, a Wyoming corporation bought the Aberdeen mine formerly worked by Wade and Lawley. It was reported that 40 men were employed by this new company. The following month, grading began for the building of railroad tracks which would connect the Kenilworth mines with the Rio Grande Westwern Railroad at Spring Glen. On August 10, 1907 the Independent Coal & Coke shipped its first coal, over its new railroad using a leased Rio Grande Western locomotive.

 

In the meantime, the Independent Coal & Coke Company had secured 160 acres and began to lay out a townsite in 1908. It was named Kenilworth, from the supposed similarity of the three peaks surrounding the coal camp with the famous 12th Century castle in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, England. By March, 1908 the Kenilworth Mine was producing about 300 tons per day. Six months later, in September, the mine was shipping 600 tons per day and could not keep up with the demand.

 

In October, 1908, the company gained a contract to supply naval ships with coal and 30 additional men were hired. Boarding houses soon replaced tents, several cottages were built, and the town gained a coffeehouse and a Boy Scout Hall, which also was used for dances and as a saloon. School was first held in a small house, be fore a formal building was erected across the street. Students attended this school up to the eighth grade, then were bussed to Spring Glen and Price to finish junior and senior high school.
 

By 1910, the town's population had reached about 500 people, and boasted a post office, restaurant, hotel, store, and a school.

 

Coal production for the company grew steadily from its opening in 1907 to 1912, at which time production had increased to some 411,661 tons per year (or about 1,372 tons per day for a standard 300 day year). Beginning in 1912, the company began to operate its own generators, replacing the former steam power it had generated from burning coal. The following year, Kenilworth produced a record 2,339 tons of coal on one day in March, 1913. Afterwards, production fluctuated over the next four years. Record production took place again on December 31, 1917 when 2,831 tons came out of the combined Kenilworth and Aberdeen openings.

 

By 1917, the Kenilworth mine was connected with the Utah Power and Light system. Two years later, the operation was unionized.


By 1920 the town had grown to some 800 residents and the company added a new section to the town. Some homes had two rooms, shotgun style, but most were four-room bungalows. Company managers lived high on the hill in what was called "Silk Stocking Row."

 

By the early 1930s, the mine was still flourishing and the town sported a new hospital, tennis courts, and more new homes. During the years of World War II, the mine company prospered, producing more than a million tons of coal annually. Unfortunately, before the war ended, the mine and the community would suffer great loss when coal dust ignited an explosion in the mine on March 14, 1945.

 

The explosion immediately took the lives of three miners and nine more were injured. Of these, three of the men died within a week, and another a few weeks later. The dust blast was apparently set off when a direct current power line broke and the arc from the break ignited the dust.

 

In 1947, Kenilworth reached its peak population of 1,050. But, it wouldn't last. In the 1950's, coal production slumped. The Independent Coal and Coke bought out the Utah Fuel Company holdings and merged the Kenilworth and Castle Gate No. 2 mines into a single entity in 1961. On March 8, 1968 Independent Coal & Coke Company corporation was dissolved.

 

The surface workings and tipple at Kenilworth were gradually dismantled. By 1983, the old mining operation site was selected as a reclamation site, which called for the demolition of all remaining facilities and the return of the mining site to its undeveloped condition. The work was completed by late 1984.

 

Kenilworth, Utah Company Store

Kenilworth Company Store, Kathy Weiser-Alexander, April, 2008. This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Kenilworth, Utah Company Houses

Unlike many "company towns", families were allowed to buy their homes, some of which are still occupied today, Kathy Weiser-Alexander, April, 2008. This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

By 1990, the town's population had dropped to 350. Today, the small residential community of some 180 people boasts a spectacular view looking out over the valleys and mountains to the west.

 

Kenilworth lies along State Route 157 north of the city of Price, and 4.7 miles east of Helper, Utah.

 

Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated March, 2017.

 

 

Sources:

 

Carbon County Gen Web

Deseret News

Utah Rails

Wikipedia

 

 

Also See:

 

Carbon County, Utah Ghost Towns & Mining Camps

Carbon County Ghost Town Gallery and Photo Prints

 

From Legends' General Store

Old West DVD's - A vast and mysterious place during the days of Westward Expansion, the Wild West if filled with tales of lawmen, outlaws, cowboys, and adventure! Check out these DVD special presentations. From Ghost Towns, to Lawmen & Outlaws, Railroads across America, Native Americans, and more, these documentary style DVD's are sure to thrill every Old West enthusiast. Made in the USA.

 

The Great Indian Wars: 1540 to 1890

Great Indian Wars

$9.95   Buy Product

Frontier Forts in the United States

Frontier Forts

  $17.95   Buy Product

Railroads Across America, 2 Disk DVD's

Railroads Across America

  $9.95   Buy Product

The American West - 32 Hour Documentary, 8 Disks

The American West 32 hr documentary

  $29.95   Buy Product

  Ghost Towns: America's Lost World - 2 Disk Set

Ghost Towns

$9.95!    Buy Product

Old West Lawmen DVD, 6 Part Series, 2 Disk Set

Old West Lawmen

  $9.95    Buy Product

The Wild West DVD - 12 Documentary Set - 2 Disks

The Wild West

$9.95    Buy Product

Outlaws & Gunslingers - 5 Part Series in Collector's Tin, 185 minutes

Outlaws & Gunslingers

 Collector's Tin

$12.95!   Buy Product

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright 2003-Present, Legends of America