Fort Logan, Montana, located in Meagher County, was first established by the U.S. Army on November 1, 1869, and called Camp Baker for Major E.M. Baker of Fort Ellis.
Its objective was to protect the Fort Benton to Helena freight road and the area miners and settlers. The fort provided troops for many of the campaigns in western Montana, including the Nez Perce War in 1877.
In 1878, the post was renamed Fort Logan in honor of Captain William Logan, who was killed at the Battle of the Big Hole. The fort was abandoned in 1880.
The fort remains include a deteriorating adobe storehouse, two officers’ quarters’ buildings, and the blockhouse. The site is located in Meagher County, on an unimproved road, about 20 miles northwest of White Sulphur Springs, Montana.
©Kathy Alexander/Legends of America, updated February 2022.