Fort Fisher was established on the west bank of the Brazos River in present-day Waco, Texas, in February 1837 by Captain Thomas H. Barron’s company of Texas Rangers.
Named for Secretary of War William S. Fisher, the small fort was built near the site of a deserted Waco Indian Village. Hastily constructed, the barracks were little more than timber shacks. It was first garrisoned by Barron’s men and later by other rangers. However, it didn’t take the Rangers long to determine that the fort was too remote, and it was abandoned the same year.
Today, the post has been reconstructed and serves as a museum and headquarters for a company of Texas Rangers. The reconstructed fort displays works of contemporary Western artists and maintains an excellent collection of weapons connected with the history of the Texas Rangers. The Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum is located nearby.
© Kathy Alexander/Legends of America, updated November 2022.