Legends Of America
Since 2003
Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Vintage Saloon Photograph PrintsIMAGES OF THE AMERICAN WEST

Saloon Photo Gallery

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next  >>

Commercial Hotel Saloon, 1910, Anaheim, California


Commercial Hotel Saloon, Anaheim, California, 1910



The saloon inside the Commercial Hotel in Anaheim, California in 1910. It was located at 182 West Center Street (now Lincoln Avenue) at the corner of Lemon Street. Built by Anaheim's second mayor, Henry Kroeger, in 1872, it was first known as the Anaheim Hotel. It was later sold to the hotel's manager, Max Nebelung and by 1890, the hotel's name was changed to the Commercial Hotel.


Vintage photograph shows two men standing behind the bar and several customers standing or seated throughout the room. Visable is the cash register, liquor bottles and glassware in cabinets behind the bar; three spittoons along the foot-rail in front of bar; wall clock and various pictures hanging on wall-papered walls; with lighting provided by four bare electric light bulbs and two kerosene lamps.


In 1905, the Commercial Hotel was sold to John Ziegler, who, in 1916, replaced the old hotel with a new $40,000 four-story brick building at the same location. Called the Hotel Valencia, it stood until May, 1977, when it burned down.



Saloon inside the Hotel Vallencia, Anaheim, California, 1916.


John Ziegler appears to have kept the same long bar that was in the original Commercial Hotel, when he built the new Hotel Valencia. However, behind the bar is now a large mirror framed by ornate woodwork. In this image, a bartender and owner, John Ziegler, are behind the bar, with a customer standing at the bar rail. The cash register, liquor bottles and glassware are visible behind the bar; two spittoons along foot-rail in front of bar; a wooden barrel and double wooden doors leading to the dining room are at far right; a wall clock and various posters hang on wall-papered walls, and lighting is provided by four lamps hanging from the ceiling. 



Continued Next Page


Both images are courtesy Online Archive of California.


Return to Old West Saloons

Return to Vintage Photographs


Did You Know??

The term "red light district" came from the Red Light Bordello in Dodge City, Kansas. The front door of the building was made of red glass and produced a red glow to the outside world when lit at night. The name carried over to refer to the town's brothel district.





<<  Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Digital DownloadsLearning Fun - Legends of America has been collecting resources for more than a decade and wish to share with our customers and readers. Teachers, students, homeschoolers, and anyone interested in learning more about history will find a treasure trove of information HERE!

Digital downloads including images, historic articles, mini-posters & maps, coloring pages, E-books and more --- Many of which are FREE! Plus our first new Coloring Book with bits of history thrown in for a fun, relaxing learning experience. From the American Revolution to Route 66, short articles accompany coloring pages for all to enjoy. Book includes 20 detailed coloring pages and 18 historic text pages.


See Here!                          Legends Coloring Book     Digital Downloads     Coloring Pages


  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright 2003-Present, Legends of America