Fort St. Vrain (1837-1848) – Built by Ceran St. Vrain, and brothers, William and Charles Bent in 1837, the fort was a non-military location that served as a trading post for the Bent, St. Vrain & Company. Located near present-day Platteville, Colorado, the fort was built much the same as in Bent’s Old Fort in southeastern Colorado. The fort was a major trading post on the Platte River until it was abandoned in 1848. Later, it became the site of the first post office and first courthouse for what would become Weld County, Colorado. After it was abandoned for these purposes, it was unfortunately allowed to fall into ruins and by 1951 so little was left, the site was leveled. Today, only a monument remains to mark the site.
By Kathy Weiser-Alexander, updated December 2017.