Fort Lisa (1812-1823) – A non-military post, Fort Lisa was established in 1812 by famed fur trader Manuel Lisa and the Missouri Fur Company. Lisa built the post, north of present-day Omaha, after abandoning his trading posts on the upper Missouri River — Fort Raymond in Montana and the original fort Lisa in North Dakota.
The fort traded in furs, cattle, horses, and land, and served as a base from which Manuel Lisa traded with the neighboring tribes. Lisa spent the winter of 1819-20 at Fort Lisa with his third wife, Mary Hempstead Keeney, while his partner, Joshua Pilcher, moved from camp to camp trading with the Indians. When Pilcher returned to the post, he found Manuel Lisa in poor health and Lisa soon returned to the St. Louis, Missouri area for treatment. This was not successful; however, and Lisa died on August 12, 1820, at the age of 48. Pilcher then succeeded Lisa as the president of the Missouri Fur Company and ran Fort Lisa. He closed Fort Lisa in 1823 after building Pilcher’s Post downriver at what became Bellevue, Nebraska. Today, there is nothing left of the old trading post, but a marker indicates the site located at the intersection of John J Pershing Drive and Hummel Road, at the entrance to Hummel Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
Kathy Weiser-Alexander, December 2017.