The post was part of a defensive line established by the Republic of Texas to protect against Indian raids. It was named in honor of General James Pinckney Henderson, the Secretary of State. Located on the upper Navasota River near the present boundaries of Robertson and Leon Counties, the fort was located in Indian country some distance from the nearest white settlement.
Because of this, the fort was difficult to supply and was, therefore, was abandoned in the Fall of 1837.
© Kathy Weiser, updated February 2020.