Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA
Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Nevada Flag - silver state legends iconNEVADA LEGENDS

Silver City and Gold Hill - Mining the Comstock Lode

Bookmark and Share
 

 

As Nevada State Road 341 winds its way northward to the Queen of the Comstock Lode Ė Virginia City, it passes through two more mining camps. Though Virginia City got all the glory, Silver City and Gold Hill played an important part in the history of the area.

 

Silver City

 

The first gold nugget in what would become known as Gold Canyon was actually discovered at Devilís Gate, just north of Silver City, by John Orr and Nicholas Kelly in June, 1850. For the next ten years, the canyon would become the scene of avid placer mining and the busy route to Virginia City, as thousands of miners made their way to the Comstock Lode.

 

During the brief Paiute War of May, 1860, the people of Silver City built a stone battlement atop the eastern summit of Devilís Gate and constructed a wooden cannon for protection. Later that summer, one of the first stamp mills in Nevada Territory was erected just south of Devilís Gate in Silver City.

 

Silver City, Nevada, 1890

Silver City, Jas. H. Crockwell, 1890.

This image available for photographic prints  and downloads HERE!

 

 

 

Commercial building in Silver City, Nevada

An old commercial building in Silver City, Nevada, Kathy Weiser, July, 2009.

This image available for photographic prints  and downloads HERE!

 

By 1861, Silver City boasted several boarding houses, a number of saloons, four hotels and a population of about 1,200 people. As Virginia City boomed, Silver City became an important freighting center with extensive stables and corrals to serve the many people traveling between the Comstock Lode mines of Virginia City and the processing mills located near Dayton and along the Carson River.

 

Devilís Gate, just north of Silver City, is two large walls of rock on either side of the road to Virginia City. Formed from lava rock, the rock was blasted and widened for a toll road. At the same time; however, another type of "tollĒ was often extracted from travelers through Devilís Gate Ė robbery. In the late 1850s and early 1860s, the narrow opening was a popular hideout for highwaymen. Relieving travelers of their watches, wallets, gold and silver, Devilís Gate earned a reputation for trouble and most came armed while passing through.

 

Silver City thrived for several years, though its mines and mills were never as productive as Virginia City and Gold Hill. When the Virginia & Truckee Railroad was completed in 1869, it spelled the demise of Silver City. However, the small town today continues to display a number of historic structures, is dotted with old mining equipment, and has a substantial historic cemetery. On the south side of Silver City, are the remains of a mostly intact mining facility.

 

Silver city is located about 11 miles northeast of Carson City about 3 north of U.S. Highway 50 on Nevada State Road 341.

 

Gold Hill

 

Continuing north for just another mile brings visitors to Gold Hill. This mining camp got its start at about the same time as Virginia City in the late 1850s, when both silver and gold were found in the area. Initially, the camp was little more than a few miners living in tents and crude shacks. However, by the early 1860s it rivaled Virginia City in size and population. The town was incorporated in December, 1862 in order to prevent its annexation by Virginia City.

 

For the next two decades the city thrived, at one point reaching some 8,000 residents.

 

Mines such as the Yellow Jacket, Crown Point, and Belcher brought in over $10 million each. An important stop on the Virginia & Truckee Railroad, the town boasted numerous businesses, churches, schools, and several fire fighting companies.

 

When the mines began to play out in the late 1870s, the town began to decline. Efforts to revive the mines were made sporadically over the years, including the Yellow Jacket Mine that operated from 1927 until 1942. When it too became unprofitable the people left in droves and by the following year, the post office closed.

 

 

Gold Hill, Nevada, 1867,

Gold Hill, Nevada, 1867, Timothy H. O'Sullivan.

This image available for photographic prints  and downloads HERE!

 

Though Gold Hill is a shell of its former self and is called home to less than 200 people, a number of historic buildings continue to stand, most notably the Gold Hill Hotel, built in 1859 and the stateís oldest operating hotel. The Virginia & Truckee Railroad Depot, built in 1872 and used until 1936, has been fully restored today and serves as the ticket office for the revived V & T Railroad.

 

The former Bank of California building, built in 1862 also continues to stand. Over the years, the building housed a variety of businesses, and today appears to be utilized as an office of some sort. Several mining remains dot the area including the Yellow Jacket Mine shaft and head frame and the Crown Point Mill. A couple of grand restored homes, along with numerous old mining shacks dot the area.

 

Just another mile up the hill is Virginia City, the Queen of the Comstock Lode.

 

 

 

 

© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated July, 2015.

 

 

 

Also See:

The Comstock Lode

The Ghost of Gold Hill

Virginia City and the Comstock Lode

Early Mining Discoveries in Nevada

Nevada Ghost Town Photo Galleries

 

Gold Hill and Silver City Slideshow:

 

All images available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE!
 

 

From Legends' General Store

Get Nevada PostcardsNevada Postcards - If you want to collect a piece of Nevada, take a virtual tour through our many Nevada Postcards. Each one of these is unique and, in many cases, we have only one available, so don't wait.

Get Nevada Postcards

Get Nevada Postcards

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of Americaô