At the Santa Clara
Indian Reservation near Los Alamos,
Puye Cliff Dwellings. For more than three centuries, from
about 1250 to 1577 A.D., these cliff dwelling were called home to some 1,500
Indians. Until such time as drought forced the villagers to leave
for locations nearer the Rio Grande River, these ancient
Indians built villages, dwelled, farmed and hunted game here.
Through the years, it has been passed down
from generation to generation, that the inhabitants of the
Santa Clara, located some ten miles east of the cliff dwelling, are
the decedents of the Puye.
These decedents continue to speak the Tewa language, of which, the
name Puye translates to "