The 1916 San Lorenzo Catholic Church still
stands in Placita, New Mexico, Kathy Weiser, February, 2008.
This image available for
photographic prints and downloads
Monticello, New Mexico
Two more miles north is Monticello, the
road dotted with old buildings, cattle, and corrals along the way.
Monticello was first named Canada Alamosa, meaning "Canyon of the
Cottonwoods," when it was first settled by farmers and ranchers in
1856. The settlement was built in a square to protect the residents
Apache attacks, who resided near by in Warm Springs
territory. The old plaza, which housed a church and several businesses
was surrounded by thick adobe walls with gun sight holes for defense.
Ironically, the town would later become the headquarters for the
Apache Agency as the Indians were "rounded up,” and housed
Apache in the early 1870’s, before
a post was
established at nearby Ojo Caliente in 1874.
In 1881, the town
established a post office and the town was renamed for one of its first
settlers, a man named John Sullivan. Originally from Monticello, New
York, he was with the army when he first came to the community. Soon
afterwards, he married a local girl.
Though the thick adobe walls that once
surrounded the plaza are gone, remnants of the foundation can still be
seen in what is today a small community park.