Did you know?
When Cookie was finished with his work for the day and before hitting the sack, he would always place the tongue of the chuck wagon facing north. When the trail master started in the morning he would look at the tongue and then knew what direction he would be moving the herd.
Camp Cook Names: Soggy, Pot Russler, Lean Skillet, Old Pud, Coosie, Old lady, Belly Cheater, Biscuit Roller, Dough Boxer, Dough Puncher, Greasy Belly, Grub Worm, Gut Robber, Sourdough, and more.
- No one eats until Cookie calls
- When Cookie calls, everyone comes a runnin’
- Hungry cowboys wait for no man. They fill their plates, fill their bellies, and then move on so stragglers can fill their plates
- Cowboys eat first, talk later.
- It’s okay to eat with your fingers. The food is clean
- If you’re refilling the coffee cup and someone yells “Man at the pot.” You’re obliged to serve refills.
- Don’t take the last serving unless your sure you’re the last man.
- Food left on the plate is an insult to the cook.
- No running or saddling a horse near the wagon. And when you ride off, always ride down wind from the wagon.
- If you come across any decent firewood, bring it back to the wagon
- Strangers are always welcome at the wagon.
Recipe for Cowboy Coffee
Take two pounds of Arbuckle’s coffee, put in enough water to wet it down, boil it for two hours, then throw in a hoss shoe. If the hoss shoe sinks, she ain’t ready.
Never trust a skinny cook
— Author Unknown
You might also like: