Lazy B Corn Fritters
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups corn
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
Stir dry ingredients together and add corn. Then add the egg yolks beaten thick and fold in egg whites beaten stiff. Fry in hot lard. Try to use a cold bowl to beat the egg whites if possible.
Cowboy Fry Bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 Tb sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 1/2-4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- Vegetable oil
Heat the milk over the stove or in the microwave until warm but not hot. Pour into a large bowl and add yeast and sugar. Stir in beaten eggs and salt, then slowly mix in flour until mixture forms a smooth, elastic dough. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until double in size (30 minutes to one hour). Lightly flour work surface and divide dough into 12 pieces roughly the size of tennis balls, then flatten into discs. Let dough rise again, about 10 minutes.
Heat oil to 350 degrees in a deep fryer, large pot or skillet. Fry dough discs one or two at a time for three to five minutes, depending on size, turning once. Makes about 12 servings.
- 2 cups dried red beans
- 2 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 3 green chile peppers, grilled and diced
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, grilled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 7 quarts water or vegetable stock
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 teaspoon toasted coriander seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole dried red chile peppers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Soak beans overnight in water to cover, changing water once; drain.
When beans are ready, saute onion, garlic, green chiles and tomatoes in oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add water or stock and ham hock; bring to a boil. Add beans, coriander seed, bay leaf and dried chiles. Continue to boil for 30 minutes, then lower heat, cover and simmer for three to four hours, until beans are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 16 servings.
- 1 pound stew meat
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast, cut up
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cans pinto beans with jalapenos
- 2 packages chili seasoning
- 2 cans Mexican style diced tomatoes
Brown meat, chicken, pepper, and onion in a little olive oil until brown. Add chili seasoning, beans, and tomatoes. Simmer for one hour. Serve this with corn bread or tortillas, or pour over Fritos and sprinkle with cheese for a Frito pie. Serves 12.
Buffalo (or beef) Steaks with Chipotle-Coffee Rub
- 3 teaspoons ground coffee
- 3 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper (or chipotle chile powder)
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 teaspoons toasted cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 buffalo or beef steaks (8 ounces each)
Combine coffee, ground chipotle, paprika, cumin seeds, sugar and salt. Rub mixture into steaks. Grill steaks until desired doneness. Makes four servings.