I wouldst be spoke to…’
Poor noble ghost that comes from place of pain…
To tread again in mournful armor clad
Thy soft grey fields upon a winters night.
Thou wouldst be spoke to, for unless one speaks
Thou canst not, must be spoke to then or go
Unheard, uncomforted to misery.
— Stevie Smith, King Hamlet’s Ghost
Signs of a Haunting
- People in the house are having bad dreams.
- You hear footsteps, taps on the walls or voices.
- Objects are mysteriously disappearing only to return later.
- Pets react to something others can’t see. A dog might be growling at thin air or its hackles may rise. Pets may refuse to go in a particular room.
- Electrical appliances and lights turn on or off by themselves. Tap water turns on or off and toilets flush of their own accord. Doors open and close with unseen hands.
- Unexplained cold drafts or cold spots can be felt.
- Small children talk to people who are not there.
- Seeing unexplained shadows, usually out of the corner of your eye. Sometimes the shadows take on a vaguely human shape.
- Feeling as though you’re being watched when no one is there.
- Feelings of being touched or something brushing past – a gentle poke, push or nudge.
- Noticeable changes in temperature. Cold spots are most often reported.
- Unexplained smells such as distinctive perfume or foul odors that have no explainable source.
Where Ghosts Are Most Often Seen
- In mirrors
- On staircases
- Peering out of windows.
- Perched in chairs.
- In hallways
Ghostly Photographs – Do you believe that ghosts can be seen in photographs? Well, we are undecided, but during our travels to ghost towns and other old places, we have taken several pictures that simply can’t be explained. Check these pictures out on our Ghostly Photographs page and let us know what you think.
Back to Ghosts & Mysteries Main Page