Legends Of America
Since 2003
Why am I seeing the old web design?

Legends of America

 

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Texas State Flag - Lone Star Legends IconTEXAS LEGENDS

Historic Fort Stockton

Bookmark and Share
 

Fort Stockton in 1884.Long before the military post of Fort Stockton was established, Comanche Springs, the source of Comanche Creek, had long been a source of water for the Native Americans. It was first documented by white men in 1849 when U.S. Army Captain William Henry Chase Whiting, leading a reconnaissance party reached the springs, and was described as an Indian campground on the Comanche Trail to Chihuahua, Mexico.

 

When the U.S. Army wanted to establish a fort in the area, Comanche Springs provided an ideal site, for its abundant water. First called Camp Stockton, the post was established in 1859 to provide protection for the many travelers along the many trails in the area including the Comanche Trail, San Antonio-El Paso Road, the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, and the San Antonio-Chihuahua freight-wagon road.

 

The post was named for Robert Field Stockton, a United States naval commodore, notable in the capture of California during the Mexican-American War. The camp was first built by troops of the 1st and 8th Infantry at a site southwest of the present location, near the town of Fort Stockton’s present Courthouse. When it was complete, it was first garrisoned by Company H of the First U.S. Infantry.

 

Buffalo SoldiersWhen the Civil War broke out, U.S. troops were withdrawn from the post and Confederates briefly occupied it until, they too, also withdrew. By the end of the Civil War, little remained of the first post. In July 1867, Colonel Edward Hatch, Commander of the 9th Cavalry, re-established Fort Stockton at its present location, about ˝ miles northeast of the former camp. The new fort designed to be much larger and to stand more permanently, was re-established by four Companies of the 9th U.S. Cavalry Regiment, known as Buffalo Soldiers.

 

Encompassing 960 acres of leased property, some 35 buildings would be constructed by the troops, one of the first of which was a guardhouse, which was completed in 1868. Two of the buildings were constructed of limestone, while the rest were built of adobe.

 

When the 9th Cavalry was moved to New Mexico in 1875, Colonel Benjamin Grierson's 10th Cavalry took over the duties of protecting the westward migration and trade routes. Between 1867 and 1886, 87% of all the soldiers garrisoned at Fort Stockton were Buffalo Soldiers, who surmounted harsh living conditions, low pay, and racial prejudice, while also gaining a reputation for tenacity and bravery, playing a major role in the settlement and development of America's western frontier. During this period of time, the fort also provided employment and revenue for freighters, laborers, farmers, stockmen, and merchants.

 

Commanche Springs, TexasThe settlement that grew up around the fort would also eventually take on the name of Fort Stockton, but, not in the beginning. As the new post was being built, a number of settlers came to the area, but, it wouldn’t be until several San Antonio entrepreneurs were convinced that water from Comanche Springs, nearby Leon Springs, and the Pecos River could be used for irrigation, that it would really begin to grow. The investors purchased large tracts of land for agricultural development and in 1868, another investor named Peter Gallagher bought the land on which Fort Stockton and Comanche Springs were located. Gallagher then platted 160 acres for a townsite that he named Saint Gaul. He also established two stores at Comanche Springs and purchased more property along Comanche Creek.

 

By 1870, the area population was about 420 residents, most of which had come from San Antonio. At this time, farmers were using water from the Pecos River for irrigation and the land utilized for farming was about 7,000 acres. When Pecos County was organized the next year, Saint Gaul became the county seat. By 1875, there were about 1,100 people living in the county. The name Saint Gaul was never popular with the residents, and on August 13, 1881, it was changed officially to Fort Stockton.

 

After the threat of Indian attacks were over, the military post of Fort Stockton was closed on June 30, 1886 and left abandoned. The closure of the fort, as well as being bypassed by both the Texas and Pacific and the Southern Pacific Railroads, caused an immediate slump in the area to lost trade and employment.

 

 

 

Gray Mule Saloon, Fort Stockton, Texas, Kathy Weiser-Alexander 2011The city of Fort Stockton, like other frontier towns of Texas, would not be immune violence. In 1889, in walked a newcomer  who would make quite a name for himself over the next several years. Andrew Jackson Royal, most often called A.J., moved his family to Pecos County after he was reportedly accused of a murder in Junction, Texas. Establishing a ranch and running the Gray Mule Saloon, Royal was said to have killed one of his employees after they had gotten into a dispute.

 

Despite a reputation as a quick-tempered, quarrelsome, and intimidating man, he was elected as Pecos County Sheriff in 1892. During his two-year tenure, Royal, along with infamous deputy, Barney Riggs, aggressively intimidated citizens of the community and as his re-election neared in the fall of 1894, an all-out war almost began between political rivals. Royal lost re-election in October and was assassinated a few weeks later. However, his deputy, Riggs stayed in the area, killing two men in Pecos in 1896, before, he, in turn was killed by a family member in 1902. 

 

However, by the turn of the century, the town had mostly settled down and the population was increasing due to cattle and sheep ranching. 1926, the opening of the nearby Yates Oil Field brought on an economic boom for not only Fort Stockton, but also a number of area towns.

 

In 1936, a county bathhouse, a swimming pool, and pavilion were constructed at Comanche Springs by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). However, by 1861, the springs had ceased flowing due to irrigation and numerous wells having been dug in the area. Today, the spring flows only intermittently.  A historic marker designates the site. The park is located southwest of the historic fort.

 

Tourism and new discoveries of petroleum and natural gas helped the economy in the area in the 1950’s and 1960’s. In 1952 the largest gas field in the county was opened on the M.C. Puckett and Son Ranch, south of Fort Stockton. Tourism was boosted in 1956, when construction of U.S. 290 linked Fort Stockton to the Big Bend National Park.

 

In the 1980s the economy of Pecos County continued to be based on farming, ranching, oil and gas production, and tourism and the town was called home to almost 9,000 people.

 

Fort Stockton Texas Road Runner/Paisano PeteToday, Fort Stockton continues to be the county seat of Pecos County, though, because of the decline in oil production, its population has dropped to about 7,800 people.

 

At the historic fort, only four the original buildings remain, which include three of the eight Officers' Quarters and the guard house. However, several other buildings have been rebuilt, and site also includes enlisted men's barracks, officer’s row, and a museum and visitor's center. Listed on the National Register of Historic Sites, the fort is located on the east side of town at 301 East 3rd Street.

 

The city has a number of historic sites and a driving tour guides visitors to 16 points of interest which includes the Historic District; the Annie Riggs Museum, housed in a turn-of-the-century adobe hotel; the 1912 Pecos County Courthouse, 1883 Jail, the old fort cemetery, and more. Be sure to stop at the world’s largest roadrunner -- Paisano Pete, a 22 foot long statue located on Main Street, for a great photo opportunity.

 

More Information:

 

Fort Stockton Chamber of Commerce

1000 Railroad Avenue
P O Box C
Fort Stockton, Texas 79735

800-336-2166

 

Historic Fort Stockton
300 East Third Street
Fort Stockton, Texas 79735

432-336-2400

 

© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, January, 2011.

 

Officers Row, Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

Officers Row, Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

 

Also See:

A.J. Royal - One Bad Pecos County Sheriff

Texas Forts Trail

Texas Forts of the Old West

Pecos Heritage Trail

Forts Across America

Texas Forts Photo Print Gallery

Texas (main page)

 

Youngs Store, Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

Youngs Store, Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

 

 

Old Jail in Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

Old Jail in Fort Stockton. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

 

Fort Stockton Guard House. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

Fort Stockton Guard House. Photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, 2011.

 

From Legends' General Store

Old West DVD's - A vast and mysterious place during the days of Westward Expansion, the Wild West if filled with tales of lawmen, outlaws, cowboys, and adventure! Check out these DVD special presentations. From Ghost Towns, to Lawmen & Outlaws, Railroads across America, Native Americans, and more, these documentary style DVD's are sure to thrill every Old West enthusiast. Made in the USA.

 

The Great Indian Wars: 1540 to 1890

Great Indian Wars

$9.95   Buy Product

Frontier Forts in the United States

Frontier Forts

  $17.95   Buy Product

Railroads Across America, 2 Disk DVD's

Railroads Across America

  $9.95   Buy Product

The American West - 32 Hour Documentary, 8 Disks

The American West 32 hr documentary

  $29.95   Buy Product

  Ghost Towns: America's Lost World - 2 Disk Set

Ghost Towns

$9.95!    Buy Product

Old West Lawmen DVD, 6 Part Series, 2 Disk Set

Old West Lawmen

  $9.95    Buy Product

The Wild West DVD - 12 Documentary Set - 2 Disks

The Wild West

$9.95    Buy Product

Outlaws & Gunslingers - 5 Part Series in Collector's Tin, 185 minutes

Outlaws & Gunslingers Collector's Tin

$12.95!   Buy Product

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Photo Blog     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America