Fort Colorado (1836-1838) - Also known as
Fort Coleman and Fort Houston, the post was established in
the fall of 1836 by Colonel Robert M. Coleman and first garrisoned by two or
three companies of the ranger battalion.
Standing on high ground on the north bank of the Colorado River
just west of Walnut Creek, the fort was a key post in the chain of defensive
positions established by the Republic of
Texas. Other links in the barrier
against the raiding Plains Indians included Little River Fort, Fort Milam, and
consisted of two 1-story blockhouses and a number of cabins enclosed within a
high stockade wall.Fort Colorado and its ranger garrison contributed greatly to the
lull in border warfare between white settlers and
during its brief use.
The fort was active
until April, 1838, when it was abandoned.
Area settlers quickly stripped the
fort of its lumber and hardware. All that is left today is a historical marker.
The site is located 2½ miles northeast of the Montopolis Bridge in Austin,
Fort Crockett (1897-1955) - Named for David Crockett, who was killed at the Alamo in 1836, the military reservation on
Galveston Island was established in 1897 for coast artillery training and
harbor defense. It was first occupied by Battery G, First Artillery. Fronting the Gulf of Mexico, its batteries held ten-inch guns, mortars, and rapid-fire guns. The buildings were still being constructed when they were
destroyed by a hurricane and subsequent flood in 1900. After the hurricane, the fort's batteries were transferred to the United States Army Corps of Engineers. The
fort was not garrisoned again until 1911. The installation eventually became headquarters for
the Sixty-ninth Coast Artillery.
In the mid-1920s, an airfield was built nearby.
During World War II, German prisoners of war were interned at the
fort from 1941 to 1946. When the war was over, the post served as a
recreational facility for active and reserve military personnel and their
families. In 1955; however, the land was declared as surplus and the
property and buildings were sold. Today,
portions of the fort are home to the Bureau of Commercial Fisheries
Laboratory. The area still contains several historical buildings and
Fort Croghan (1849-1855) - Located
on Hamilton Creek three miles south of present-day
Burnet, the location was chosen when
Henry E. McCulloch and his rangers were stationed there in March,
1849. It was first called Culloch's Station. Just a few months later, in October, the site a
permanent fort was planned to built across the Hamilton creek, three miles
above the first site. It was then named Camp Croghan in honor of Colonel George Croghan. Later the name was changed
to Camp Hamilton and when complete, officially named Fort Croghan. The
buildings were all built of logs and included four officers' quarters and
a large four-room hospital.
The post became headquarters of the Second Dragoons in
1852, but the very next year, troops began to be moved, leaving behind
just a skeleton crew to guard the buildings. It was abandoned in 1855 and
the buildings were used as residences.
By 1940 only the foundations remained as evidence of the
military occupation. A decade later; however, the Burnet County Historical Society began the reconstruction of the
old post. Similar old buildings in the area, including two log dwellings
and a stone structure, were moved from their original locations to the
fort site and restored to appear as they might have during the days of the
Fort Davis -
Fort Davis is one of the best surviving examples of an Indian Wars' frontier
military post in the Southwest. From 1854 to 1891, Fort Davis was strategically
located to protect emigrants, mail coaches, and freight wagons on the
Trans-Pecos portion of the San Antonio-El Paso Road and on the Chihuahua Trail. See Full Article HERE.
Fort Duncan - See Full Article
Fort Elliott (1875-1890)
- After the Second Battle of Adobe Walls, it was determined that the
Texas Panhandle should be cleared of
Indians. A military camp was
established by late January, 1875 under the command of Major James Biddle.
Within a month, Biddle was ordered to select a site for a permanent post
from which soldiers could patrol the borders of
Indian Territory, protect
cattle drives headed north to
Kansas, and encourage settlement of the
region. Biddle chose a low plateau overlooking Sweetwater Creek, near
Texas. The new post was first called Camp Cantonment
on the Sweetwater and construction began in July. Stables, storehouses,
and the guardhouse were built with cottonwood posts or adobe, but for more
substantial buildings lumber had to be hauled in from
almost 200 miles to the north. In its early years, the fort was called
home to about 200 soldiers.
In February, 1876, the post was renamed Fort Elliott, in
honor of Major Joel H. Elliott, who was killed in the Battle of the
Washita. By 1878, several other buildings had been added to the post,
including the post commander's residence, six sets of officers' quarters,
five barracks, post headquarters, combined school and chapel and a 12-bed
hospital. In the 1880s, regiments of Buffalo Soldiers, as well as numerous
Indian Scouts were stationed at the fort.
Their primary tasks were to patrol the
border, stop hunting parties from entering the Texas Panhandle, and pursue
who had escaped their reservations. Also, protecting the cattle herds along the
trails, a number of large ranches were established in the area and by 1880
nearly 300,000 cattle grazed the Panhandle.
In 1887, the first railroad was established in the Texas
Panhandle, bypassing Fort Elliott eighteen miles to the north. Three years
later, in October, 1890, the fort was closed. Over the next several years,
the buildings were sold. Today, nothing of the fort is left, but the site
is designated with a historical marker.
Continued Next Page