Montana Hotel Saloon, Anaconda,
This photo available for photo prints and
The saloon inside the popular Montana Hotel in
elegantly adorned. Like other saloons of the period, it featured a long
wooden bar with a foot rail, but, unlike many others of the time, this one
included bar stools, and no spittoons can be seen on the floor. Behind the
bar, three arched mirrors are framed by ornate pedestals and carvings and
the space is filled with bottles, glassware, and a cash register. Lighting
is provided by glass sconces. A large wallpaper pattern can be seen in the
mirror's reflection, along with a painting.
Backed by the powerful San Francisco syndicate
of Hearst, Haggin and Tevis, Marcus Daly built the world’s largest smelter
on Warm Springs Creek between 1883 and 1889. Along with the smelters, Daly
envisioned a substantial city and filed the original townsite plat June
25, 1883. By the fall of 1884, Anaconda’s 80 buildings included seven
hotels and boarding houses and twelve saloons. In 1888, Marcus Daly and
his associates established the Montana Hotel Association and began
construction on the new hotel which was completed in the spring of 1889 at
an estimated cost of $125,000. Modeled after
New York City’s Hoffman
House, the hotel was designed by Chicago Architect W.W. Boyington,
using a composite style of French Renaissance and Romanesque architecture.
The four story structure was built of local red brick with terra cotta
ornamentation and a 34 foot wide central arched entrance. The hotel
interior included a 185 rooms with modern amenities, like telephones,
steam heat and an electric elevator. Many rooms had canopied beds, marble
fireplace and Persian rugs. The full basement was equipped with a
servant's dining room, a laundry, boilers, and a dynamo for electric light
generation. The first and second floors, finished in red oak and eastern
pine, contained the main dining room, a ladies' ordinary, a saloon,
chandeliered ballroom, drug store, and barber shop. After Marcus Daly died
in 1900, the Montana Hotel underwent extensive remodeling, costing $96,000
under the ownership of the Anaconda Company.
In 1954, the building was purchased by Edison
and Bell, Inc. of Kalispell,
Montana. The firm operated the hotel until
1959 at which time, plans for demolition were considered. To combat this
action, citizens of Anaconda formed the Montana Hotel Corporation and
purchased the structure, renaming it the Marcus Daly Hotel. A restoration
project was undertaken in 1964 and a modern motel unit was built to the
rear of the original structure. In 1975, heavy financial burdens and
potential bankruptcy faced the Montana Hotel Corporation. The following
year, the building was sold to a local developer and more than 2,000 hotel
items were sold at auction. A year later, it stood abandoned. Then, an
aggressive program of structural renovation was begun, including the
removal of the hotel's two upper stories. The remaining space was then
used for will be used for retail and office space.
Located at the corner of Park and Main
Streets, there is currently a group in Anaconda who is exploring the
possibility of returning the historic hotel to its former glory.
of America, updated August, 2015.
Continued Next Page
Did You Know?...
elk, deer and antelope populations outnumber the humans.
See more interesting