almost 10,000 people offers all the amenities of a larger city
while still maintaining its small town charm. Located on
Route 66, Weatherford got its start in 1892 when people began arriving
at the western border of the
country, hoping to take advantage of Oklahoma's third great land run.
Of these men, William J. Weatherford, claimed a quarter section of land that he first
called Jordan Flats. In his group were his wife, four
children, his widowed sister-in-law, her daughter, and two hired
This group first
made a temporary dugout shelter then began digging a water well. Later lumber was hauled in on horse-drawn wagons to build a
five-room house. When supplies began to come by freight wagons
from Minco and
to the nearby county seat of Arapaho, the Weatherford homestead soon became a trail stop. A post
office was established in the Weatherford home in August, 1893, with Mrs. Weatherford serving as its first postmistress. Their
home also served as a school and church for area residents.
people settled the area, a blacksmith shop, sawmill, and other
businesses were established and the townfolk called it the Weatherford Settlement. When the Choctaw,
Oklahoma and Gulf
Railroad began extending its lines west from
in early 1898, nearby Arapaho was confident they would become the
railroad terminus and refused to pay the railroad a bonus. However, this back
fired on the town, when the railroad located its
terminus about two miles from the Weatherford Settlement. In July, 1898, the Weatherford town site was laid out and lots were sold. It’s first businesses; including grocery stores, a hotel, and a
restaurant were housed in tents but were soon replaced with
railroad engine arrived in November, 1898 and before long Weatherford became a central trading area for sending and
receiving of supplies, crops, and livestock.
In Weatherford's early days, the numerous
the flourishing settlement gave it a "wild and wooly” reputation. However, when the railroad continued to extend its line west, the
growth of the town dropped and its reputation settled down.
School was started in one
of the vacant buildings on Main Street until the first school building was
erected in early 1904.
By the time
Route 66 came through Weatherford, the city was already
a well-established farming community.