Legends Of America
Since 2003
Why am I seeing the old web design?

Legends of America

 

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Quirky Nevada - Page 2

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

 

Thunder Mountain MonumentThunder Mountain Monument - Out in the middle of nowhere south of Interstate 80 near Imlay, Nevada,  is a huge conglomeration of quirky sculptures made of all manner of collected items including old cars, bottles, railroad ties, machinery, wheels and a bucket load of concrete.

Constructed over two decades beginning in 1967, a man named Frank Van Zant, built the folk art "sculpture" of concrete and junk as a tribute to the Native American plight.

Frank Van Zant, who had some Creek Indian heritage came from Oklahoma.  After serving in WWII, he came to Nevada at worked at various jobs including logging, mining, truck driving, and as a preaching minister.  

Somewhere along the line, Van Zant met an old medicine woman who told him,  "In the final days, there shall rise up a place called Thunder Mountain."  She said that only those who lived at Thunder Mountain would survive the apocalypse.

It was after this talk with the medicine woman that Van Zant changed his name to Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder.  Before long he moved his family to the desert and began to build tbe monument.  From a nearby junkyard came a treasure trove of building supplies, such as farm equipment, typewriters, car hoods and wheels.

When Van Zandt was alive he lived in the three-story house, built of bottles and concrete, with his family.  From the roof, spires and pretzels of painted concrete shoot out in all directions, culminating in a dome skeleton.  The windows of the house are made from automobile windshields.

Thunder Mountain ParkThrough the years Chief Thunder and his friends erected several unusual buildings from roadside junk and boards and metal from abandoned buildings.  With the enormous quantities of concrete used, Van Zandt calculated that his fantastic home would stand for a thousand years.  Elsewhere on the property are concrete totem poles, rusted refrigerator doors serving as billboards for political statements, baby doll heads stuck on tree branches and blue glass pole insulators everywhere.

Chief Thunder continued his work on the site until 1989.  At the age of 69, he committed suicide, some say because he had completed his masterpiece. 

Though Thunder Mountain has been designated a Nevada State Historic Site and a National Monument, it has suffered from neglect and vandalism since Chief Thunder is no longer there to look over it.  His son, Daniel Van Zant has led an effort to save the site and some repairs have begun to be made on the property. 

The main home is no longer occupied and there are no park rangers or tour guides at the site.  When you visit, be sure to leave a donation in the big metal box at the beginning of the walkway that takes you on a tour through the grounds.

 

Thunder Mountain Park is located between Winnemucca and Lovelock off I-80, about 120 miles east of Reno, Nevada.

 

Contact Information:

 

Thunder Mountain Monument LLC

P.O. Box 162

Imlay, Nevada 89418

 

 

 

 

 

Stokes Castle, Austin, NevadaStokes Castle in Austin, Nevada

 

As a summer home for his sons, Anson Phelps Stokes - mine developer, railroad magnate and member of a prominent eastern family, began to build the Stokes Castle in 1896. It was completed in the summer of 1897.

 

Patterned after a family painting of Italy, the castle was used by the Stokes family for only a short period. When they traveled west in June of 1897 with some of their friends, they spent a month at the castle. In October, they spent a few more days and returned in the summer of 1898. However, this time they sold out the mine, milling equipment and the castle and never returned again.

The castle is three stories high and 50 square feet around. Built of hand-hewn native granite a hand-operated windlass was used to raise the huge slabs of granite into place. The first floor contained the kitchen and dining room, the second floor was the living room, and the third floor contained two bedrooms. On the first floor each room had a fireplace and on the upper floors their wore wooden balconies.

Over the next half century the castle fell into neglect and was owned by several individuals. In the early 1950ís a promoter tried to buy the structure with the intention of moving it to the Las Vegas strip. However, Molly Magee Knudsen, a cousin to Anson Stokes purchased it in 1956. Having grown up hearing the stories about her cousins castle in Nevada, she could not resist.

Molly, a New York socialite, soon turned ranch owner and prominent citizen of Austin. Soon a chain link fence was placed around the building to help preserve it form further theft and vandalism.

Today the Stokes Castle stands as a sentinel on the north end of Reese River Valley, a reminder of the heydays of Austinís past history.

Stokes Castle has a well-maintained road leading to it and can be viewed year round. Located on Highway 50 on the west side of Austin, this historic building is well worth a look-see.

 

 

View My Guestbooksign2.gif

 

We are so glad you came to visit! Please, let us know what you think. Your feedback will make our website even better!

 

Advertising space available.

 

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

  From Legends' General Store

Personalized Wanted PosterSmoking gunWanted - Reward (Personalized with name) mini poster. Custom designed poster made specifically for Legends' General Store and Legends of America. You cannot find these anywhere else. Printed on semi-glossy, 48 lb paper and measures 11" x 17". Personalize this wanted Poster with up to 20 characters.
Made in the USA!

Buy Product $7.99

 

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Photo Blog     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of Americaô