Amargosa - First called
Johnnie Station, this was once an important stop on the
Las Vegas & Tonopah Railroad, originally established as a temporary
site while tracks were being laid westward toward
However, it became a permanent station when strikes were made at Johnnie.
When a post office was opened in December, 1901, the name was changed to Armagosa, meaning "bitter water" in Spanish, because a recent well dug in
the area had brought up nothing but brackish water. The post office was
short lived however, and closed just a year later. Another opened three
miles west of
Rhyolite in 1904 which then serviced the Amargosa
community. By then, the tiny settlement had begun to boast a few
businesses, including a store, hotel, restaurant, and a blacksmith shop.
An important shipping point for
Johnnie and other areas
to the west, a daily stage was established from Amargosa to Johnnie.
It also became a stopping point and freight stop for people and
supplies heading to the new copper finds at Greenwater,
When the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad was completed westward in
1907, Amargosa's shipping activities declined as well as the town,
leaving only the railroad agent and one merchant.
Amargosa Station in 1906, courtesy Central Nevada Historical Society.
However, when the
mines at Johnnie began to produced again, people soon came back. In
1914 it supported about 25 people, but three years later it was
completely abandoned. The only remnant of Amargosa is the large
concrete foundation of the old station and it is difficult to find.
The old townsite is located about 16.5 miles east of Amargosa Valley
on the north side of US 95.
Note: The townsites of
Original, Nevada and Death Valley Junction,
California, were also called Amargosa for a time.
also called Amargosa City
About 15 miles southwest of Beatty, Ashton was
small water stop on the Tonopah & Tidewater Railroad. It never
really developed and after the railroad pulled out it was abandoned.
There are no remains today.
- Not a
ghost town, but a vital
Valley mining days, Beatty is a small community today
with a population of about 1,100 people. It was established in 1905,
when the Las Vegas and Tonopah Railroad planned to come through the
area. The town was named for Montillus Murray "Old Man" Beatty, who
settled on a ranch in the Oasis Valley in 1896 and became Beatty's
first postmaster. A townsite was soon laid out and