Legends Of America
Since 2003
Why am I seeing the old web design?

Legends of America

 

 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

North Dakota FlagNORTH DAKOTA LEGENDS

Ghost Towns of Bowman County

 Bookmark and Share
<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

 

 

There are several ghost towns in Bowman County, North Dakota including Gascoyne, Griffin, and Haley. Like beads on a string, towns were spaced across Bowman County with the advent of the Milwaukee Railroad in 1907 and 1908. There are more small towns along the railroad's path that are not ghost towns, but, have diminished in size over the years, leaving in their wake, a number of ghostly looking buildings in the very small towns of Scranton and Rhame.

 

The battle over control of the Northern Pacific Railway and the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in 1901 made the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad, more familiarly simply called the Milwaukee Road, aware that without its own route to the Pacific it would be at its competitors' mercy. In 1901 the president of the Milwaukee Road dispatched an engineer to the west to estimate the cost of duplicating Northern Pacific's line. His figure was $45 million ($1,241,820,000 today). Such an expenditure required considerable thought and it was not until November 1905 that Milwaukee's board of directors authorized construction of a line west to Tacoma and Seattle, Washington.

 

Gascoyne

 

Located in Bowman County, Gascoyne was originally established as a Milwaukee Road Railroad townsite in 1907. It was first called Fischbein, after Henry G. Fishbein, one of the first residents of the community and the first postmaster; but, the name was changed to Gascoyne on March 25, 1908.

 

 

 

Bowman County Ghost Towns

 

Gascoyne

Griffin

Haley 

Bowman County Ghost Town Slideshow

 

 

Milwaukee Road Logo

When the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad came through North Dakota, a number of small towns were born.

 

 

 

Gascoyne, North Dakota, about 1910The new name came from a construction foreman on the Milwaukee Road transcontinental rail line that was built through the city, though an alternate explanation suggests that the name refers to the large deposits of natural gas found in the area.

Never a very large town, Gascoyne's population peaked in 1930 at 97 people, after which, it started a slow decline to its present day population of just 16 people. However, throughout the years, the small town boasted a hardware store, a bowling alley, a grocery store, a Standard Oil station, taverns, and a town hall, which is best remembered for the many dances that were held there. Children attended school in the prominent building that still stands, but is deteriorating quickly. The impressive school was built in the 1910s and housed three large classrooms and had a basement large enough for early competitive basketball contests. Later, these competitions were moved to Woodman Hall, which is no longer standing.

 

After some years, the Gascoyne school merged with that of nearby Scranton, located some four miles to the northwest. For a few years, elementary school child from grades 1-4, from both Scranton and Gascoyne, attended school in Scranton, while grades 5-8, from both towns attended in Gascoyne. All high school students went to Scranton. However, that soon ended and the Gascoyne school closed, with all students attending in Scranton.  The front entry, facing south, included some stately Neo-Classical details.

 

Gascoyne, North Dakota SchoolAt some point, lignite coal was found in the area, and Gascoyne was the site of a coal mine for much of the 20th century. The most active period for the mine occurred between 1975 and 1995, when about 2.5 million tons of lignite were produced per year, primarily for the Big Stone Power Plant near Big Stone City, South Dakota. The mine started slowing down in 1995, and was shut down completely in 1997. Interestingly, there is no evidence to mining activities today.

 

Gascoyne lost its post office in 1971 with the retirement of postmaster Gladys Erickson, who was not replaced. The Erickson Grocery, run by Gladys and Francis Erickson, housed the post office and was the last retail business in Gascoyne to close, in 1972. Currently owned by the city of Gascoyne, the store stands on the west side of Main in the middle of what was the business district. The false-front of the building is brick, with drainage tile used for trim, and the other three walls are stucco over tile.

 

Today, there are no remaining open businesses still in operation, no church, and no school, but many of its old commercial buildings still stand in good shape. However, there are about 16 remaining residents. The old town is located Highway 12 in Southwestern North Dakota about 17 miles southeast of Bowman.

 

Gascoyne, North Dakota Main Street today

Gascoyne Main Street today, Kathy Weiser-Alexander, September, 2011.

Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE.

 

Gascoyne, North Dakota School Interior

Gascoyne School Interior, enhanced photo by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, September, 2011. Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE.

 

Griffin

 

Located in Bowman County about 7 miles west of Bowman and 6 miles east of Rhame, North Dakota on Highway 12, Griffin is a true ghost town with not a single resident. Legends' reader Mark Griffin tells us that according to North Dakota Place Names, the post office and Milwaukee Road railroad station was named Atkinson until February 10, 1908 when the name was changed to Griffin in honor of Henry T. Griffin, the Assistant General Passenger Agent for the railroad. According to the December 27, 1900 edition of The New York Times, "Henry T. Griffin has assumed the duties of Assistant General Passenger Agent of the Chicago, Milwaukee St. Paul Railway Company."

 

Griffin, North Dakota School in about 1915

Griffin, North Dakota School in about 1915.

 

Griffin, North Dakota School

Griffin, North Dakota School by Kathy Weiser-Alexander, September, 2011. Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE.

 

Situated north of the railroad tracks that parallel the highway, this one time community was more of a business venture than a town and never had many residents. What it did have were some of the biggest stockyards in the county, along with several grain elevators, a depot and a couple of section houses for the railroad workers. In 1911, the North Dakota Magazine reported that Griffin had a general store, lumber yard, elevators, and was growing fast. It may have also had, at one time, a gas station.

 

It was also home to a school for area children. In the late 19th century, school reformers urged rural school districts to reorganize one-room school districts into consolidated schools with more than one classroom. Bowman County was one of the few in North Dakota to give this idea a serious trial, constructing four impressive rural consolidated schools during the early 1920s, including the one in Griffin, which was called the Atkinson school. Unfortunately, the population loss from the countryside in succeeding years doomed these consolidated rural schools just as surely as it did the one-room schools.

Today, Griffin is home to only the quickly deteriorating old school building, a boxcar, a barn, and a few other deteriorating buildings. According to local lore, because of the stockyards, the town was often frequented by cowboys, and allegedly a few gunfights took place within the community. About two miles north of the town ran the old Yellow Stone Trail, the first transcontinental automobile highway through the upper tier states. Established in 1912, the old highway ran from Plymouth, Massachusetts, through Yellowstone National Park, and on to Seattle, Washington. This old road was marked in some areas with 3 foot tall stones painted yellow.

 

Collapsed building in Griffin, North Dakota

This collapsed building in Griffin, North Dakota appears to have been fairly substantial at one time, Kathy Weiser-Alexander, September, 2011. Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE.

 

Old barn in Griffin, North Dakota

An old barn or workshop in Griffin, North Dakota, Kathy Weiser-Alexander, September, 2011.Image available for photo prints & editorial downloads HERE.

 

 

Continued Next Page

 

<<  Previous  1 2   Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Old West Books from Legends' General StoreOld West Books - In Legends of America's style, we carry a wide collection of Old West books about the people, places, and events of the Wild West era. See cowboys, trails, lawmen, outlaws, cookbooks, ghost towns, Native Americans, and lots More!  AND, if you love Old West books, you might also want to take a look at our huge collection of Vintage Western Magazines. This is one of the largest collections of vintage Old West magazines on the whole web-wide world, if not the largest, and it's still growing.

Old West Books from Legends' General Store

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Photo Blog     Writing Credits     

Copyright 2003-Present, Legends of America