<< Previous 1
Long before the City of Springfield,
was founded in 1833, the area was populated by Native Americans, who
thrived on its rich resources. However, nine years after
became a state in 1821, the U.S. Government forced the removal of the
Indians to a reservation in
and Greene County was opened for settlement, bringing in numerous
white settlers who also enjoyed the areas rich resources. Years after the
establishment of the city, the Butterfield Stage Coach line which
brought even more people to the area and the town quickly began to grow.
Though war-torn during the
years, Springfield survived to
travelers in the 20th century, and eventually to become
third largest city. With its long and rich history, spanning Old West
pioneers through modern civilization, it should come as no surprise,
that it is one of the Show-Me-State's most haunted cities.
Grove Park - On East Bennett Street, Phelps Grove Park encompasses some 44 acres
that provide entertainment and beauty to area residents. It's also
allegedly home to a wandering spirit. though the park is quite old,
the spirit is relatively new, evidently killed in an automobile
accident. It was the day of her wedding and as her and her new groom
drove through the park, the automobile went out of control and they
were both killed.
The "Bride under the Bridge"
has often been spied near the third bridge in the park in the evening.
The forlorn bride is usually seen standing, holding up the hem of her
gown, but where her face should be, there is only darkness.
Country Inn – A ghost known as Carl, who
was a former bus boy at this inn, is said to still haunt the premises. Staff have reported seeing him in the kitchen and in the halls.
Others have reported seeing a pair of legs beneath a table, but when
they crouch down, there is no one there. Carl has often been
reported as having been seen just out of the corner of an eye
disappearing into the office or down the hall, but upon closer
inspection, no one is there. Carl is seemingly harmless, but
others have reported another female spirit at the Inn, who isn’t very
friendly. Both apparitions have been said to touch people. The
Bass Country Inn is located off Highway 44 at North Glenstone Avenue.
University - This old institution first opened its
doors on September 25, 1873, with thirty-nine pupils in attendance. Beginning with a two-story brick structure at a cost of just $7,000
for classes, the campus occupied less than 1˝ acres.
a frame building was built for the music department and in 1875 an
elegant brick structure was opened called "Walter Fairbank's Hall" as
a women’s boarding house. Twenty-five years later the 40-acre
campus included Stone Chapel, the President’s House and three academic
buildings. Today the 80-acre campus still includes
the original site and much more, including a few phantom visitors
according to its staff and students.
Old colleges often have many reports of
hauntings, but this particular college has good reason as it was built
upon a site which was once Indian burial grounds and later was in the
midst of the
Civil War. In
1966 Smith Hall, a women’s dormitory, was built in an area that used
to be called home to several old Victorian houses. In one of these old
vintage homes once lived a little girl who was caught in a fire when
she wanted to retrieve her teddy bear.
to the stories, she continues to linger in the hall searching for her
teddy bear. Many have witnessed the little girl, dressed in pink, and
walking the halls. Others have reportedly taken pictures. A bit of a
prankster, students have often returned to their rooms to find their
locked doors standing wide open, drawers pulled out of dressers and a
teddy bear sitting in the center of the room. Others report that if
they have a teddy bear, it will often be moved during the night to
appear at a different place in the room the next morning. One student
tells a story of an unused telephone stored in a closet that would
ring during the night with no source of power.
At Clara Thompson Hall, many students have
reported that pianos seemingly play by themselves and doors are said to
often close on their own. At the Wilhoit Theatre, many people have
reported seeing flickering lights at night when no one is in the theatre.
Drury University is located at 900 North
Benton Avenue at East Central Street.
Southwest Missouri State University –
At the Freudenberger House, which is familiarly
known as the Freddy House by the students, a female phantom is said to
haunt the building. The five-story residence hall houses the
Military Science Department as well as playing home to over 700 students. Built in 1959, the hall was named for Norman Freudenberger, professor of
Latin for 45 years. According to the legends, the matronly ghost is
referred to as the Dorm Mom and seemingly has an interest in the fifth
floor, where she is most often glimpsed. Freudenberger House is
located at 1000 E. Madison Street.
Continued Next Page
<< Previous 1
features articles on the
and subscriber only specials
Legends' General Store. Sent
directly to your inbox, grab a cup of coffee and travel the historic
paths of the
Sign up today!
Is it not wonderful
that 5,000 years have now elapsed since the creation of the world, and
still it is undecided, whether or not there has even been an instance of
the spirit of any person appearing after death? All argument is
against it; but all belief is for it..
"Life of Johnson”
Hinkley's America -
America is proud to introduce award winning Author and Photographer
Hinckley as an official contributor to our website. Here, you will find
books written by Jim, including unique content that can only be found
on Legends of America, as well as many of his
photographs that are available for photo prints and editorial downloads.