Legends Of America
Since 2003
Why am I seeing the old web design?

Legends of America


 Tip Jar

Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter

Arizona Flag - Legends of the High Desert IconARIZONA LEGENDS

Bisbee - Queen of the Copper Camps

Bookmark and Share

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>


Bisbee Arizona, 1909

Bisbee, Arizona in 1909. This image available for prints & editorial downloads HERE.



Ninety miles southeast of Tucson, one of the richest mineral sites in the world resulted in, what was once, the largest city between St. Louis and San Francisco.


Bisbee, Arizona got its start as a mining camp after army scouts and cavalrymen found good looking rock in the Mule Mountains' Tombstone Canyon in the fall of 1877. After a few claims were filed the area quickly began filling up with prospectors and all that come with them. By 1880, the mining camp known as Mule Gulch, became a town and was named after Judge Dewitt Bisbee, who was a financial backer of the area's Copper Queen Mine, the largest claim at the time.


The first killing was that same year after a Mexican man was shot in a local eatery by mistake as an unknown assailant was trying to kill the woman waiting tables. The first lynching happened two years later when another man, drunk on whisky, shot up a dance hall, killing one and wounding two others. Similar incidents and lawlessness would prevail for several years as the town slowly grew more civilized.




Custom Posters only available at the Rocky Mountain General Store

Brewery Gulch


German-Swiss immigrants in town founded the first breweries on what became known as Brewery Gulch on Brewery Avenue in 1881. According to Jim Barnett, long time Bisbee resident, and Bisbee historian, the Gulch at first was made up of a wood schoolhouse, Coyote Bill's cabin next to the school, the Munche home, and a brewery owned by A.B. Seiber, who had a small adobe saloon next to the brewery. He cooled his beer in a large cellar vault dug into the mountain.


After some months of brewing, Seiber decided to have a formal naming of Brewery Gulch and invited people to free samples of his beer. Many took advantage of the offer, and by the time the night was over, someone tried to rob Seiber's business, and at least one person, a rough and tough woman named Black Jack who had crashed the party, was shot and killed.


Grave of the gang responsible for the Bisbee Masacre in Tombstone, Az, Kathy Weiser, 2007The first dance hall is said to have been opened by John Heath (also spelled Heith). Its opening just happened to coincide with his gangs robbery of the Castenada and Goldwater Store, resulting in the infamous Bisbee Massacre. Heath would later be hung from a telegraph pole in Tombstone by Bisbee vigilantes who claimed they wanted to correct a judge's "sentencing error" of life imprisonment. The rest of his gang were "legally" hung, and all of them are buried in Tombstone's Boot Hill.


Things got better for Bisbee and the Gulch as the population grew from 400 to thousands. Brewery Gulch became famous (or notorious some would say) as the number of saloons multiplied, at one time numbering 47. The Gulch was considered by some to be the "Hottest spot between El Paso and San Francisco". Barnett says the girls of the Gulch remain as legends of the old camp. Women like Crazy Horse Jill, who was called wildly immoral. Red Jean, known for her auburn hair, was beautiful and strong and could fight just about anyone and win, regardless of size. There was also Doc Holliday's mistress, Kate Elder, and the previously mentioned Black Jack, who would dress like a man and was suspected of stage coach robbery. Ma Reilley ran a dance hall with her husband and was considered respectable as any other woman in town. The wildest dance hall in the Gulch was run by Anita Romero, who was so beautiful men were killed over her. Little Irish Mag, credited with being the first dance hall girl in Bisbee, had a mining claim named after her. And Clara Allen, who operated a brothel and owned the Club Forty-One, is said to have stayed longer than any of the other girls.


Brewery Gulch in Bisbee managed to survive many economic changes, including the railroad, which was brought into town in 1889. That meant cheaper beer could be transported in from other breweries, forcing the last of the local breweries to close. However, the Gulch saloons would continue to thrive until 1914, when Arizona became a dry state, enacting Prohibition long before the rest of the country.


Continued Next Page


Bisbee Arizona Historic District, Kathy Weiser, 2007

Part of Bisbee Historic District. Photo by Kathy Weiser, 2007


The Copper Queen Hotel, Bisbee Arizona. Photo by Neil Peart

The Copper Queen Hotel, built in 1902, still serves lodgers today. Photo courtesy of Neil Peart and David Burnette.


<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

From Legends' Photo Shop

Saloon Style Photo Prints and DownloadsSaloon Style Photo Prints - What were on the walls of saloons in the Old West?  Most of the time, it was similar as what you might find today -- advertisements for liquor, beer, and tobacco. But, in those Wild West days, the walls were often filled with images of "decadent" women of the time. In our Photo Print Shop, you'll find dozens of images for decorating a real saloon or western themed restaurant, or your person home bar in a saloon style atmosphere. 

Saloon Style Advertising and Wall Images


  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Photo Blog     Writing Credits     

Copyright 2003-Present, Legends of America