Albuquerque – The Alvarado Hotel, designed by Mary Jane Colter, opened in 1902. It also housed the Indian Building where Native American pottery and jewelry was displayed. In the early part of the twentieth century, the Fred Harvey Company began to popularize and develop markets for Indian craftsmanship. Many such artifacts were actually created in the Indian Building. On February 13, 1970, the wrecking ball smashed into what was one of Albuquerque’s most famous historical landmarks. For years the site sat empty as a parking lot. However, in 2002, a “new” Alvarado opened to the public.
Belen – While not actually on Route 66, it’s very nearby. This early 1900s depot housed one of the original Harvey House Restaurants in 1910 and today, is called home to the Harvey House Museum. The museum is located just ten miles south of Route 66 from Los Lunas, New Mexico. Take US-85/NM-314 to get to Belen.
Gallup – The El Navaho Hotel was built in 1918. Though the hotel was torn down, the historic railroad station continues to stand housing the new Gallup Cultural Center.
Santa Fe – The La Fonda Hotel Hotel was built in 1922. In 1925 it was acquired by the Atchison, Topeka Santa Fe Railroad which leased it to Fred Harvey. For more than 40 years, from 1926 to 1968, the La Fonda was one of the famous Harvey Houses. Since 1968, La Fonda has been locally owned and operated and has continued a tradition of warm hospitality, excellent service, and modern amenities while maintaining its historic integrity and architectural authenticity.
Afton – The Fred Harvey Company operated a newsstand at the Afton Depot.
Miami – The Fred Harvey Company operated a newsstand at the Miami Depot.
Oklahoma City – The art-deco station continues to stand in Oklahoma City but is in poor repair. This was one of only a handful of Santa Fe depots built with a high ceiling waiting room. The two story concrete depot is currently undergoing restoration.
Sapulpa – Opened in the late 1800’s, a Harvey House Restaurant was housed in the Frisco Station. Though the Sapulpa Harvey House was torn down in 1963, the residence used by several of the Harvey girls continues to stand as the Sapulpa Historical Museum.
Tulsa – This art deco style station was designed by R.C. Stephens and completed in 1931. The Depot serviced as many as thirty-six trains a day in its prime. Though the station never housed a Fred Harvey restaurant, it was home to one of their many newsstands. The station ceased operation in 1967 and standing vacant and neglected for years, looter took everything they could reach, from marble to chandeliers and etched glass. Then in 1982, the Williams Companies began to renovate the deteriorating structure for use as office space. The walls, moldings and medallions on the ceiling were restored to their original colors.
Vinita – The old depot in Vinita once included both a Harvey House Restaurant and news stand. Unfortunately, there is no sign of the Harvey House today.
Amarillo – The two story stucco depot opened in 1910 with a Harvey House Restaurant. It closed in 1940 and in the 1970s, the railroad sold the building. Continuing to stand today, it now houses a large antique store.