Legends of America

Follow the links to the various pages of Legends of America

The Old West Legends of America Outhouse Madness Ghostly Legends Outlaws Old West Saloons Rocky Mountain General Store Legends Photo Store The Book Store Make your travel reservations here! Route 66 Native Americans The Old States - Back East

Legends of America    |    Legends General Store    |    Legends Photo Shop

 

Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter PageLegends on Pinterest

Legends Home

Site Map

What's New!!

 

Content Categories:

American History

Destinations-States

Ghost Stories

Ghost Towns

Historic People

Legends & Myths

Native Americans

Old West

Photo Galleries

Route 66

Travel Center

Treasure Tales

 

   Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Google

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Facebook Page

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Writing Credits

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

 

Legends' General Store


Old West/Western

Route 66

Native American

Featured Items

Sale Items

Books/Magazines

CD's - DVD's

Nuwati Herbals

Personalized-Engraved
Postcards

Wall Art

Custom Products

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legends' Photo Prints

Legends Photo Prints and Downloads
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

States, Cities & Places

Nostalgic Prints

Photo Art Prints

Jim Hinckley's America

David Fisk (Lens of Fisk)

Specials-Gift Ideas

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

Family Friendly Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Texas Forts of the Old West - Page 3

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next  >> 

 

Fort Chadbourne, 1854Fort Chadbourne (1852-67) - This fort was one of the outer ring of posts founded in the early 1850's to protect the Texas frontier from plundering Kiowa and Comanche Indians. Other forts in the ring were Forts Belknap, Phantom Hill, McKavett, and Clark. The post was built by companies A and K of the Eighth United States Infantry and named for 2nd Lieutenant Theodore Lincoln Chadbourne who fought and was killed in the Mexican War in the Battle of Resaca de la Palma.

 

From 1858 until 1861 Fort Chadbourne was division headquarters for the Butterfield Overland Mail. During the Civil War, Confederate troops periodically occupied the fort.

 

Union troops returned in May, 1867 but, remained only until December, when Fort Concho was established not far to the south. Fort Chadbourne; however, continued to serve as a station on the San Antonio-El Paso stage line and the Army sometimes used it as a sub-post.

 

In 1999, the Fort Chadbourne Foundation was established to preserve, stabilize, and partially restore the historic site and present it to the public. The fort site is open to the public for self guided tours during daylight hours, seven days a week and there is no charge for touring the site but donations are gladly accepted.

 

The walls of four limestone buildings, two barracks and two officers' quarters, stand in their entirety, as well as several partial walls. Piles of stone rubble outline other structures. One of the barracks has been re-roofed and is used as a cattle barn. All of the ruins are currently under a stabilization project. Metal detecting is not allowed. A temporary visitor’s center/museum that houses many artifacts found at the fort and is located in the rock office, just east of the fence line from the barrack buildings.

 

The old post is located in Coke County, just off U.S. 277, about 2 ½ miles north of its junction with Texas Highway 70, some four miles northeast of the town of Fort Chadbourne.

 

Fort Chadbourne Foundation

651 Fort Chadbourne Road

Bronte, Texas  76933

325-743-2555

 

Fort Chadbourne, Texas

Fort Chadbourne, established in 1852, is located between Abilene and

 San Angelo.  It also served as a stop for the Butterfield Overland Stage.

 Kathy Weiser, November, 2009.

 

 

Fort Cibolo (1850s-1880s) - Located on Cibolo Creek four miles northwest of present-day Shafter, this private fort was built by Anglo-American rancher, Milton Faver to protect himself and area settlers from Indian raids. It was named for the Spanish word meaning "buffalo." The fortress was surrounded by 20 feet high walls, which were 3-4 feet thick, and set with  broken bottles to prevent attackers from scaling them. Corner towers and small windows in the walls allowed defenders to shoot from inside. Behind the walls was a one-story adobe structure with strong fortified doors and windows. The self-sufficient fort, also cared for livestock to the north of the fort, farmed various types of vegetables, and acted as a trading post, sometimes trading with the area Indians. Though a private citadel, it also served as an outpost for army detachments from Fort Davis. During the Civil War, Fort Davis was abandoned and during this time, when Indian attacks occurred there was little resistance other than that of Faver and his men at Fort Cibolo. After the war, Fort Davis was reoccupied by Federal troops, and Fort Cibola often re-supplied patrolling troops. Milton Faver died in December, 1889. The land eventually became part of a ranch.

 

 

 

 

Fort Clark, Texas Quartermaster's Building.

Fort Clark Quartermaster's Building.

 

Fort Clark (1852-1946) - Unlike many other forts prominent in the Indian Wars, this fort in south-central Texas remained an active post through World War II. It was founded in 1852 and inactivated in the mid-1940's. Southern anchor of the Texas defense line in the 1850's, it guarded the San Antonio-El Paso Road and policed the Mexican border. In 1861, at the onset of the Civil War and the secession of Texas, the Confederates moved in, and was occupied by the Second Texas Mounted Rifles until August, 1862. It was then used briefly as a hospital for Confederate troops and area civilians. The Union soldiers; however returned in December, 1866.

 

Fort Clark is perhaps most famous as the home for its Black Seminole Indian Scouts, which served at the fort from 1872 until 1914. Many infantry units and virtually all cavalry units, including the 9th and 10th Black "Buffalo Soldiers," were stationed at Fort Clark at various times.

 

 

See full article HERE.

 

Continued Next Page

<<  Previous  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next  >> 

From Legends' General Store

Legends of America Gift CertificateGift Certificates are the perfect solution when you just can't find the right gift or you're short on time and make a perfect gift for gift friends, family, and business associates. See gift certificates for our brand new Legends of America Store HERE!

NEW - Gift Certificates!

 

                                                            Copyright © 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com