Legends of America

Follow the links to the various pages of Legends of America

The Old West Legends of America Outhouse Madness Ghostly Legends Outlaws Old West Saloons Rocky Mountain General Store Legends Photo Store The Book Store Make your travel reservations here! Route 66 Native Americans The Old States - Back East

Legends of America    |    Legends General Store    |    Legends Photo Shop

 

Legends Of America's Facebook PageLegends Of America's Twitter PageLegends on Pinterest

Legends Home

Site Map

What's New!!

 

Content Categories:

American History

Destinations-States

Ghost Stories

Ghost Towns

Historic People

Legends & Myths

Native Americans

Old West

Photo Galleries

Route 66

Travel Center

Treasure Tales

 

   Search Our Sites

Custom Search

Google

 

About Us

Advertising

Article/Photo Use

Copyright Information

Blog

Facebook Page

Guestbook

Links

Newsletter

Privacy Policy

Site Map

Writing Credits

 

We welcome corrections

and feedback!

Contact Us

 

Legends' General Store


Old West/Western

Route 66

Native American

Featured Items

Sale Items

Books/Magazines

CD's - DVD's

Nuwati Herbals

Personalized-Engraved
Postcards

Wall Art

Custom Products

and Much More!

 

  Legends Of America's Rocky Mountain General Store - Cart View

 

Legends' Photo Prints

Legends Photo Prints and Downloads
 

Ghost Town Prints

Native American Prints

Old West Prints

Route 66 Prints

States, Cities & Places

Nostalgic Prints

Photo Art Prints

Jim Hinckley's America

David Fisk (Lens of Fisk)

Specials-Gift Ideas

and Much More!!
 

Legends Of America's Photo Print Shop - Cart View

 

Family Friendly Site

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nebraska Forts - Page 3

<<  Previous  1 2 3  Next  >>

 

Fort Omaha, NebraskaFort Omaha (1863-Present) - The Post of Omaha came into being in 1863 to train Civil War Volunteers. Three years later it became headquarters of the Department of the Platte. In 1868, a new post was activated four miles northwest of the city.Known as Sherman Barracks the first year and then as Omaha Barracks, in 1878 it was re-designated as Fort Omaha. From 1875 to 1882 and from 1886 to 1888, as commander of the Department of the Platte, Brigadier General George Crook was stationed at the post when he was not in the field. He directed many major campaigns on the northern Plains, serving in which were numerous troops that had passed through Fort Omaha.

 

The Fort Omaha garrison moved in 1896 to Fort Crook, which had been activated 5 years earlier about 10 miles south of Omaha as the New Post of Fort Omaha. The first soldiers had arrived there in 1895.

 

In 1905 the Army reactivated Fort Omaha, and during World War I used it for a balloon school. The Navy has had jurisdiction over the base since 1947, and still utilizes it along with other branches of the Armed Forces for recruiting. Reserve training, and administration.

 

Seven buildings from the 1870's and 1880's have survived. One of the oldest is the commanding officer's house, or Crook House, completed in 1879. Its first tenant was General Crook, and today the commander of Fort Omaha occupies it. A large two-story brick structure, asymmetrical in plan, Italianate in style, and crowned by hipped roofs, it is in good condition. A long one-story porch projects from its eastern facade. The interior has been altered over the years, but the exterior has changed little. Fort Omaha is not ordinarily open to the public. The fort is located in northern Omaha at 30th and Fort Streets.

 

Fort Robidoux (1822-1840s) - Established by the American Fur Company, the post was named for fur trapper Joseph Robidoux. Shortly after it was established, it was also known as French Company and Cabanne's Trading Post, for its operator, John Pierre Cabanne. Cabanne continued to operate the post until 1833 when  Joshua Pilcher assumed command of the post until it was abandoned in the early 1840s. Its success was in part due to its ability to supply provisions to nearby Fort Atkinson. Shortly after 1840 operations moved to Fontenelle's Post in the Bellevue, Nebraska area and placed under the management of Peter A. Sarpy. Though nothing is left of the fort today, the site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located 10 miles north of Omaha, Nebraska, on the Lewis and Clark Scenic Byway near Florence, north of Dodge Park.

 

Fort Robinson - See full article HERE!

 

Fort Sidney (1867-1894) - First called Sidney Barracks, the post was established in 1867 with a primary function of protecting the Union Pacific Railroad workers against the threat of hostile Indians. In 1869 the post was relocated to the present site at Sidney, Nebraska, and the following year it was renamed Fort Sidney. In the mid 1870's the post became a major strategic point as the initial supply depot on the Sidney-Blackhills Trail. Throughout the mid 1870's, supplies and passengers traveled the trail to the Red Cloud Indian Agency and beyond to the Black Hills gold fields. By 1875 the fort contained quarters for three companies, five officers quarters, a hospital, guard house, bakery, laundry, stables, and other structures. In 1878 troops from Fort Sidney were called in to participate in the search for Dull Knife's Cheyennes who had escaped from their reservation in Oklahoma, and who were later recaptured near Fort Robinson, Nebraska. With the Indians subdued, Fort Sidney was closed in 1894 and most of the buildings were sold.

 

 

 

Fort Sidney, NebraskaToday, the Fort Sidney Complex includes the Post Commanders Home built in 1871, a Double-Set of Married Officers Quarters, which now houses the Cheyenne County Museum, built in 1884, and the 1872 Powder House, all located now in a residential area of the town. To the southeast are the remains of the fort's rifle range. The restored buildings have been refurnished with authentic articles of the late 1800s and are listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The museum is located at 6th and Jackson Streets in Sidney, Nebraska.

 

Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated August, 2014.

<<  Previous  1 2 3  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

Old West DVD's - A vast and mysterious place during the days of Westward Expansion, the Wild West if filled with tales of lawmen, outlaws, cowboys, and adventure! Check out these DVD special presentations. From Ghost Towns, to Lawmen & Outlaws, Railroads across America, Native Americans, and more, these documentary style DVD's are sure to thrill every Old West enthusiast. Made in the USA.

 

The Great Indian Wars: 1540 to 1890

Great Indian Wars

$9.95   Buy Product

Frontier Forts in the United States

Frontier Forts

  $17.95   Buy Product

Railroads Across America, 2 Disk DVD's

Railroads Across America

  $9.95   Buy Product

The American West - 32 Hour Documentary, 8 Disks

The American West 32 hr documentary

  $29.95   Buy Product

  Ghost Towns: America's Lost World - 2 Disk Set

Ghost Towns

$9.95!    Buy Product

Old West Lawmen DVD, 6 Part Series, 2 Disk Set

Old West Lawmen

  $9.95    Buy Product

The Wild West DVD - 12 Documentary Set - 2 Disks

The Wild West

$9.95    Buy Product

Outlaws & Gunslingers - 5 Part Series in Collector's Tin, 185 minutes

Outlaws & Gunslingers

$14.95!   Buy Product

 

                                                            Copyright 2003-Present, www.Legends of America.com