settlement of Hickory Point in Jefferson County was laid out in March, 1855, on
the north side of the military and freight road. One of the first settlers,
Charles Hardt, was appointed postmaster. From the first settlement there had
been a contest between the
pro-slavery residents of the vicinity.
Party feeling ran high and each faction regarded the other as having no rights.
At the first election the pro-slavery men took possession of the polls, and
there was little respect for law and order on either side. After the outrages
perpetrated at the first election, each party held an election and refused to
acknowledge the other as legal. By the summer of 1856, the Free-State settlers
had become the stronger faction and determined to drive the other party out.
On June 8, 1856 two pro-slavery men, Jones and
Fielding, were driven away. At that time the settlement consisted of three log
buildings, a store, hotel and blacksmith shop. Both parties in the neighborhood
went armed and several skirmishes occurred.