Legends Of America
Since 2003
LEGENDS OF AMERICA
Legends Facebook Page    Legends on Pinterest    Legends on Twitter
 

Patagonia Back Road Ghost Towns - Page 2

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

Washington Camp

 

Another four miles south, just beyond the junction of FR 49 and Duquesne Road is the old site of Washington Camp, once the largest community south of Patagonia. Serving as a supply community for the mining towns of Duquesne, Mowry and Harshaw, prospecting occurred here only briefly in the early 1860’s, but was quickly abandoned due to numerous Apache attacks.  However, in 1890, when the Duquesne Mining and Reduction Company began operations, the town of Duquesne was born, as well as nearby Washington Camp, which housed the reduction plant, miners’ bunkhouses, a general store and a school. The town grew to some 1,000 residents.

 

Today, a couple of old mining buildings, shafts, and tailings can still be seen.

 

 

 

Commercial Building at Washington Camp

Commercial Building at Washington Camp, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Mining remnants at Washington Camp, Arizona

Mining remnants at Washington Camp, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Duquesne

 

Just another half mile on down the road (which is now FR 61), the ghost town enthusiast will be rewarded with many more remains in the old mining camp of Duquesne (pronounced doo-kane). So close to Washington Camp, one wonders why they ever even called separate "towns.”  To reach the main buildings, take FR 128, a rough road that branches to the right from FR 61 and eventually circles back.

 

When the Duquesne Mining and Reduction Company began operations here in the late 1880’s, they laid out the city, where the company official’s residences and mining offices would be located. A post office began on May 13, 1880. Duquesne grew to include 1,000 residents and several businesses.

 

This old town features numerous old homes, as well as the mining company headquarters, and foundations. According to the locals, tourists are not really welcome here, in fact, this is where we got stopped by the Border Patrol. The area is heavily posted with no trespassing signs. However, the road is a public forest road and most remains can be photographed from the road.

 

An old home in Duquesne, Arizona

An old home in Duquesne, Arizona, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Duquesne, Arizona

Abandoned building in Duquesne, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

Continuing on, road will circle back around until it returns to FR 61. Another four miles south is a monument to Fray Marcos de Niza, a Franciscan friar, and first European to enter the United States west of the Rockies.

 

Just southeast of the monument is Lochiel.

 

Lochiel

 

This old town was first called Luttrell, named for Dr. J.M. Luttrell, who ran a boarding house and owned the Holland Company Smelting Works. The first post office, opened with the name Luttrell in 1880. For reasons unknown, another post office opened in 1882, called La Noria, just a mile away from the first post office. A year later, they both closed. However, another opened in 1884, with the town’s "final” name of Lochiel. Named for two brothers for the ancestral home in Scotland, this time, the name stuck. The mining community grew to include two smelters, three saloons, five stores, a boarding house, several businesses, and a population of about 400. Though the miners profited, the ranchers were at risk during the early days, as none other than Pancho Villa would often come across the border to steal cattle, before escaping back to Mexico.

 

Fran Marcos Memorial

Fran Marcos Memorial, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

But, like most mining towns, its life was short and its post office closed forever on September 30, 1911. However, there was still life in Lochiel and in 1918; a one-room schoolhouse was built as well as a teacherage that still stands today.  In fact, in the 1980’s the town wanted to re-open the school and had several applications from teachers interested in the challenge of one-room school house. Unfortunately, there were no students to attend. During this same decade the customs station, serving border crossings was also closed for budgetary reasons.

 

This old community, nestled in the corner of the San Rafael Valley and surrounded by cottonwoods is an oasis in the desert, so much so that a number of Hollywood films have been made here including Monte Walsh, Oklahoma!, and Tom Horn.

The town is also privately owned and fenced off , but several buildings including the  church, the old U.S. Customs Station, the one-room school house and teacherage can all be seen from the road.

 

Our journey then took us another 20 miles northeast to the ghost town of Sunnyside, Arizona. An interesting place with a fascinating history. See more HERE!

 

© Kathy Weiser/Legends of America, updated November, 2013.

 

Lochiel, Arizona one-room schoolhouse

The 1918 Lochiel one-room schoolhouse, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

Lochiel, Arizona church

Lochiel, Arizona church, Kathy Weiser, April, 2007.

This image available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

 

Patagonia Ghost Town Trail Slideshow:

 

 

All images available for photo prints & commercial downloads HERE!

 

<<  Previous  1 2  Next  >>

From Legends' General Store

 

T-Shirts From Legends' General StoreNEW! - T-Shirts - Ever popular, T-Shirts are for everyone! Check out Legends' custom designed shirts that you won't find anywhere else. From unique designs that combine vintage photos with quotes, to original art, colorful photos, to whim and whimsy, you're sure to find a shirt for yourself or a gift for a friend or family member that will be unlike anyone elses' T-Shirt.

T-Shirts & More

 

T-Shirts From Legends' General Store

 

  About Us      Contact Us       Article/Photo Use      Guestbook      Legends Of Kansas      Links      Photo Blog      Site Map     Writing Credits     

Copyright © 2003-Present, Legends of America