Harvey House -
2 3 4 Next >>
- The Alvarado Hotel, designed by Mary Jane Colter, opened in 1902. It also
housed the Indian Building where Native American pottery and jewelry was
displayed. In the early part of the twentieth century, the Fred Harvey Company
began to popularize and develop markets for Indian craftsmanship. Many such
artifacts were actually created in the Indian Building. On February 13, 1970,
the wrecking ball smashed into what was one of Albuquerque's most famous
historical landmarks. For years the site sat empty as a parking lot. However, in
2002, a “new” Alvarado opened to the public.
The original Alvarado Hotel was torn down in 1970, vintage postcard.
The rebuilt Alvardo Hotel today.
Belen - While not
it's very nearby. This early 1900s depot housed one of the original
Harvey House Restaurants in 1910 and today, is called
home to the Harvey House Museum. The museum is located just ten miles south of
New Mexico. Take
US-85/NM-314 to get to Belen.
- The El Navaho Hotel was built in 1918. Though the hotel was torn down, the
historic railroad station continues to stand housing the new
Gallup Cultural Center.
Santa Fe - The
La Fonda Hotel Hotel was built in 1922. In 1925 it was acquired by the
Atchison, Topeka Santa Fe Railroad which leased it to Fred Harvey. For more than
40 years, from 1926 to 1968, the La Fonda was one of the famous
Harvey Houses. Since 1968, La Fonda has been locally owned and
operated and has continued a tradition of warm hospitality, excellent service
and modern amenities while maintaining its historic integrity and architectural
Afton - The Fred
Harvey Company operated a news stand at the
- The Fred Harvey Company operated a news stand at the
Oklahoma City Station is in poor repair but it
Tulsa Depot, courtesy Tulsa
Oklahoma City - The art-deco station continues to
Oklahoma City but is in poor repair.
This was one of only a handful of Santa Fe depots built with a high ceiling
waiting room. The two story concrete depot is currently undergoing restoration.
Opened in the late 1800’s, a
Restaurant was housed in the Frisco
Station. Though the
Harvey House was torn down in 1963, the residence used
by several of the Harvey girls continues to stand as the
- This art deco style station was designed by R.C. Stephens and completed in
1931.The Depot serviced as many as thirty-six trains a day in its prime. Though
the station never housed a Fred Harvey restaurant, it was home to one of their
many newsstands. The station ceased operation in 1967 and standing vacant and
neglected for years, looter took everything they could reach, from marble to
chandeliers and etched glass. Then in 1982, the Williams Companies began to
renovate the deteriorating structure for use as office space. The walls,
moldings and medallions on the ceiling were restored to their original colors.
- The old depot in
Vinita once included both a
Restaurant and news stand. Unfortunately
there is no sign of the Harvey House
Amarillo - The two story stucco depot opened in
1910 with a
Restaurant. It closed in 1940 and in the
1970s, the railroad sold the building. Continuing to stand today, it now houses
a large antique store.
of America, updated April, 2017.
Oklahoma Depot, courtesy University of
Arizona Fred Harvey Collection.
The old depot in
Signs of the
Valentine Diners Across the Mother Road
the Burma Shave Signs?
Whiting Brothers Empire
2 3 4 Next >>
Legends' General Store
66 Posters & Prints - From Chicago to
Los Angeles, and everywhere in between, see colorful posters depicting
many of the icons, colorful business, and fun characters along the more
than 2,000 miles of the beloved
These are original designs that you
will NOT find anywhere else!
Posters measure 11"x17" are are produced on semi-glossy, 12 point